Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Thermometer adapter vs "thermometer well" for distillation head
thewanderer
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 7-3-2013 at 12:24
Thermometer adapter vs "thermometer well" for distillation head

The distillation kit I picked up included what was called a thermometer adapter (which I'd expect to look more like the typical adapter where you insert the thermometer directly in and tighten the ring)

But what I got was something that looks like this http://s.ecrater.com/stores/10550/4fdbcfac9c04b_10550n.jpg which I have been referring to as a "thermometer well", is there a more "correct" name for this or is it just a different style adapter?

To use this style adapter, should I fill the well with mineral oil or something similar to help conduct the heat to the thermometer?
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-3-2013 at 13:18

Quote: Originally posted by thewanderer  
[...] which I have been referring to as a "thermometer well", is there a more "correct" name for this or is it just a different style adapter?

To use this style adapter, should I fill the well with mineral oil or something similar to help conduct the heat to the thermometer?
When they're made of metal, they're called "thermowells" in trade, so you're already using the more descriptive term.

Yes, use a fluid to conduct heat to the thermometer bulb. You'll lower your response time.
dulio
Harmless

[*] posted on 7-3-2013 at 16:10

Nice piece. I have never seen such glassware before.

\"Do not compare you to others, but with the best which yourself can do.\"
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 8-3-2013 at 04:30

I've never seen someone actually use a traditional thermometer with one of these. Usually a digital thermometer probe is inserted with just a drop of mineral oil to allow heat transfer without the necessity to heat a bulk quantity of mineral oil for a faster response time. Then a septum is put over the top simply to stop the probe from unintentionally sliding and moving out of the mineral oil. Of course the great thing about these is one less spot for a leak in a vacuum setup.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-3-2013 at 06:17

Wait a minute. So the lower end of the piece is closed off? It doesn't look like that to me on the photo. I bought one of these with an eBay job-lot, it was open ended at the bottom and I had no clue what it was for. It did fit neatly into a 14/23 Claisen from the same lot...

[Edited on 8-3-2013 by blogfast25]

bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 8-3-2013 at 07:26

Yes, a thermowell has the bottom rounded off and closed. Just like a test tube with a male joint instead of a rim. You can also use them for thermocouples or thermistors.

blogfast25, you're thinking of a capillary inlet for vacuum or steam distillation.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-3-2013 at 11:01

Quote: Originally posted by bfesser  
blogfast25, you're thinking of a capillary inlet for vacuum or steam distillation.

Well, mine isn't capillary but it could be used as a vacuum or steam port.

Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-3-2013 at 09:45

Glad to see someone else found these and was thinking the same thing. Problem is Kantu seems to be the only one making these for our uses and I've heard some negative reviews on their glass quality. So far Wilmad can't help and as the usual Brands don't sell to us directly so I don't know what to do.Expediaglass doesn't make these either. Can anyone here vouch for Kantu's current quality?

P.S. I've seen the thermowells fastglass092012 makes but they don't make anything that would replace the threaded thermometer adapter in a non 10/30 topped distillation head... out of the frying pan and into the fire.

" the Modern Chemist is inundated with literature"-Unknown

Go To Top