Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Guanidine Carbonate
kratomiter
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 16-3-2013 at 11:34
Guanidine Carbonate

Hi!

I got some Guanidine Carbonate, but there's little info on the Web. Megalomania compares it to Ammonium Nitrate but without any experimental background.
I guess it would require a good detonator + booster in order to detonate.
Anyone has more info? Or better use it as a precursor to nitroguanidine?
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 16-3-2013 at 12:38

Guanidine carbonate is not explosive, neither is ammonium carbonate. Just because it contains lots of nitrogen and has a good OB does not mean it is a good explosive. All that nitrogen and oxygen is rather useless if it is alreadly firmly bonded to carbon atoms. Weaker bonds, such as between N-O, N-N, are much easier to break, so take less energy. (do not let me confuse you, the triple NΞN is very strong, which is why the formation of N2 results in so much energy)

Something else you may not know, anhydrous hydrazine can actually condense with guanidine, replacing the ammonia (ammonolysis). Useful way to prepare aminoguanidine, if you do not want to go to the trouble of reducing nitroguanidine. Another (very hazardous!) ammonolysis reaction is the displacement of NH3 from NH4NO3 by hydrazine hydrate (think astrolite).

[Edited on 16-3-2013 by AndersHoveland]
kratomiter
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 16-3-2013 at 17:53

Thank you so much for you answer, I found odd a carbonate being an explosive. I don't know why Megalomania classifies it as an explosive.

Anyway, could I obtain guanidine nitrate mixing the carbonate with nitric acid? It seems easy enough for a begginer like me.

[Edited on 17-3-2013 by kratomiter]
Motherload
Hazard to Others

Mood: Shitty

[*] posted on 16-3-2013 at 17:56

You can buy Guanidine Carbonate of eBay.
I don't believe one an buy or sell explosives on eBay.
You could convert it to Guanidine Nitrate and then Nitro Guanidine .... Sorta like Urea.

"Chance favours the prepared mind"
"Fuck It !! We'll do it live !!"
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 16-3-2013 at 19:25

Quote: Originally posted by kratomiter  
Anyway, could I obtain guanidine nitrate mixing the carbonate with nitric acid?

Yes, it is a smiple acid-base neutralization reaction. Bubbles of carbon dioxide will come out. You might have some problem drying it though. I think guandine carbonate may be slightly hygroscopic.

There exist many other simple compounds that can be formed in the same way, for example, by adding nitric acid to hexamine. Obviously since it is just a simple neutralization reaction, the acid concentration does not matter (it is not a "nitration")

[Edited on 17-3-2013 by AndersHoveland]

Go To Top