Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Acetic Acid and Sodium Chloride
Nicodem
Super Moderator

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-3-2013 at 12:27

Quote: Originally posted by Eddygp  
Yes, I decided to test it because of the smell. If it has formed, it won't be in large quantities, logically, but it has been enough for me to be able to detect it with ammonia (NH3+HCl=NH4Cl), giving a positive result. Moreover, I had covered the glass with a metal tap (the one of a jam jar), and it seems to have rusted at the edges... Very interesting.

How very unscientific. You can't call a result positive unless you test also for a negative result of the control experiment. So, instead of performing also a control experiment, you jumped to conclusions without any evidence whatsoever. Indications are not evidence, they do just what the word means: indicate. An indication can never become evidence unless coupled with at least one opposite indication. Please, learn the basics of the scientific method.

…there is a human touch of the cultist “believer” in every theorist that he must struggle against as being unworthy of the scientist. Some of the greatest men of science have publicly repudiated a theory which earlier they hotly defended. In this lies their scientific temper, not in the scientific defense of the theory. - Weston La Barre (Ghost Dance, 1972)

Read the The ScienceMadness Guidelines!
jimmyboy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-2-2016 at 16:39

this is Necromancy for this old thread but I was asked this question recently about how pennies get cleaned faster combining vinegar and salt
.. maybe the NaCl is just a catalyst but I think the problem is the dissociation constant of HCl

.. HCl, HBr, HI, HNO3, HClO3, HClO4 are the strong acids and always completely dissociate in solution .. so forming a strong acid with a weak one is next to impossible in solution since the dissociation is irreversible
.. hydronium and chloride ions will not reunite inside the water solution to form HCl acid under normal conditions .. so you will not get Hydrochloric
.. to prove it you just need distillation and use the boiling points of HCl and Acetic
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-2-2016 at 18:56

Quote: Originally posted by jimmyboy  

.. maybe the NaCl is just a catalyst but I think the problem is the dissociation constant of HCl

.. HCl, HBr, HI, HNO3, HClO3, HClO4 are the strong acids and always completely dissociate in solution .. so forming a strong acid with a weak one is next to impossible in solution since the dissociation is irreversible
.. hydronium and chloride ions will not reunite inside the water solution to form HCl acid under normal conditions .. so you will not get Hydrochloric
.. to prove it you just need distillation and use the boiling points of HCl and Acetic

This so garbled. :)

A mixture of a weak acid and the salt of a strong acid simply behaves like the solution of a weak acid, period.

Weaker acids cannot displace stronger ones from their salts.

Forget about distillation: the HCl-water azeotrope (at 20.2 % HCl) boils at 108.6 C: you'd be distilling off weak acetic acid, nothing more.

jimmyboy
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-2-2016 at 19:46

Thanks for the confirmation Bloggy
.. there is quite a few Google results that say it forms the acid .. disappointing

[Edited on 8-2-2016 by jimmyboy]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top