Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Excess of reactants
Steve_hi
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-3-2013 at 05:14
Excess of reactants

I'm reacting some copper wire with Hno3 to have some copper nitrate and I was wondering
1) if it is best to have the stoichiometric amount or to have one of the reactants in excess.
2) Is this always the case when doing reactions.
Sorry to bother you with simpleton questions but I have never taken chemistry and trying to learn at home
Thanks
Hockeydemon
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-3-2013 at 05:39

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I had to jump at the chance to contribute as a novice haha.

If you're reacting copper with nitric acid you should be able to simply pull out any un-reacted copper as it will still be a solid. So excess in this case is ideal.

It is definitely not always the case, and you will need to come at it on a case by case basis.
Steve_hi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 26-3-2013 at 05:46

Thanks Hockeydemon
CaptainOfSmug
Harmless

[*] posted on 26-3-2013 at 10:44

Yes, generally speaking you must first find your limiting reagent, I'm assuming you know some basic stoichiometry. Once you've found your limiting reagent you know to have that one in excess generally speaking. I've found with chemistry there is little "always does this" and its more "usually". Hope this helps somewhat.
MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-3-2013 at 11:02

In this case, using copper as your excess reagent is good because when the reaction is complete you just remove the solids and you're left with your pure product in solution. If it was the other way around and the copper dissolved completely, you might have some leftover acid contamination. That might not be a bad thing, depending on your end use: it's actually sometimes necessary for stability of the produced compound. I think iron chloride is an example of this, but don't quote me on that.

EDIT: Corrected reversed terminology. D'oh! Thanks for the correction below, elementcollector1.

[Edited on 3-26-2013 by MrHomeScientist]
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 26-3-2013 at 11:25

Shouldn't it be the other way around? The nitric acid is the limiting reactant, running out first and leaving an excess of copper metal behind.

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd

Go To Top