Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Dissolved pine resin in ethanol/isopropanol mixture
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 28-3-2013 at 06:20
Dissolved pine resin in ethanol/isopropanol mixture

I dissolved it and now I have a yellow solution with the color of apple juice.

Since the resin contains pinenes and rosin acids, can I add water to precipitate rosin acids? Is the pinene layer going to float on water and alcohol mixture then?

I would already try this but I don't have very big amount of this, so every gram of it is precious.

Or maybe any other method to separate pinene from this mixture except distillation would be great.

Hockeydemon
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-3-2013 at 06:49

Water would do nothing, neither are soluble in water according to wikipedia. However Abietic acid is very soluble in acetone, and Pinene is soluble in methanol. However they form an azeotrope so you'd have to do an extractive distillation with dimethylformamide?
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 29-3-2013 at 01:59

I was collecting pine resin last fall, and also dissolved it in isopropanol (and/or acetone also) but adding water did make the clear amber solution turn white and cloudy. So something fell out of solution, but I am not sure what. Can't say I paid enough attention to see if any thing was still in solution though.

If I started with acetone and added some 91% iso it clouded a little and went bac in sol. But when I ran out and only had 70% ISP to it, the sol got fairly cloudy. You see the same thing when you wash pitch off your hands w/ a solvent and then the sink to drop off both.

I boiled down quite a few pound of pine pitch. Still have a bunch left over too. Collected at least half of a five gal bucket worth. Thinned it with solvent and simmered to allow filtering out the pine needles n wood bits. Might be able to share some if the shipping isn't cost prohibitive. Where do you reside?
sonogashira
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-3-2013 at 02:28

Quote: Originally posted by Random  
I would already try this but I don't have very big amount of this, so every gram of it is precious.
You need some test-tubes!
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-3-2013 at 05:01

I had a large pine tree cut down after a hurricane and the flat surface of the stump formed a thick layer of dried sap. One day I decided to see how well it burned. Using a propane torch I lit it and was impressed by the speed of combustion, not just big flames but lots of crackle almost as if it had a source of oxygen other than the air. And then it was gone.

Go To Top