Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: DIY Multi-Bucnher table top filtration?
declined
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 08:22
DIY Multi-Bucnher table top filtration?

Hey all,

I was wondering if any of you dabbled with the idea of fabricating a multi-buchner filter rack, that filtered out all liquid into a single, large collection flask? I'm thinking this might be easier (and fun) than trying to source a 10L Buchner filter.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 12:25

A Buechner of 18 cm ID (that's about 10 L) would require about 4 individual Buechners of 10 cm ID to get roughly the same filtration capacity. But wether that would work out any cheaper bearing in mind the piping and other connecting bits, I'm not so sure. This apart from the inevitable difficulties in planning and executing such a plan into a reliable filtration instrument...

gutter_ca
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bored at work!

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 12:48

http://www.cpiinternational.com/products/analytical-instrume...

declined
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-4-2013 at 12:52

Quote: Originally posted by gutter_ca  
http://www.cpiinternational.com/products/analytical-instrume...

Nice find! However, wouldn't half the fun be in engineering this solution :)
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-4-2013 at 13:05

If you are filtering many different small samples, there are devices for filtering in parallel, but most don't work that well (just one example of problems: once one dries up and sucks air, the rest stop working). But it is almost always better to go to a single larger filter than do parallel small filtrations. Even better is to filter through a course filter first, and then come back and filter more finely if needed, I often just filter in bits, pour in some liquid until the Buchner is nearly full, then wait a while for it to filer halfway, then add more liquid. You can easily use a small filter in a large filter flask to handle the liquid, but sometimes, you want to avoid using a large Buchner filter, especially if the material is air sensitive, precious (it is hard to avoid losing some on the larger piece of filter paper), or you have small ones more readily available.

Go To Top