Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: is this Cobalt(II) sulfate?
Godspeed429
Harmless

Mood: +2

[*] posted on 7-4-2013 at 07:34
is this Cobalt(II) sulfate?

Hello
i have been getting very interested in Electrochemistry and chemistry in general lately and i would like some help in the next step of my "project". My project is to separate the metals from a carbide end mill. so here is what i did.
I took a piece of carbide as my anode, used a piece of banding steel as the cathode, NaHCO3 as my electrolyte and ran electricity through it for a very long .................long time.Then collected the waste and filtered.(A)
From my research the piece is made of tungsten carbide 60-100% cobalt up to 30% chromium carbide .1-1% vanadium carbide .1-1% and tantalum carbide 0-50%. I highly doubt that there is much or any tantalum carbide in it because this is just a General Purpose end mill but i could be wrong. After more research i found that cobalt is the only element that would react with Sulfuric acid under normal circumstances so i took 1 gram and added to 1.5ml diluted Sulfuric acid (B). After about 5 minutes it turned a dark red/Burgundy color.(C) After the reaction stopped i filtered what i assume is Cobalt sulfate from what did not dissolve.
So is that Cobalt sulfate? if it is couldn't I use this process to extract all of cobalt from the material?

thanks!

FYI the end mill is made by IMCO part# 30761

Project pics A.jpg - 317kB Project pics B.jpg - 204kB Project pics C.jpg - 196kB Cobalt(II) sulfate.jpg - 189kB

[Edited on 4-7-2013 by Godspeed429]
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 7-4-2013 at 11:40

The color is indeed is the color of cobalt(II) in aqueous solution. The solution you show is quite dark, this could be due to high concentration or due to impurities.

So, I think that you have cobalt indeed, but you probably need to recrystallize it once to get rid of impurities.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Godspeed429
Harmless

Mood: +2

[*] posted on 7-4-2013 at 11:56

Thank you !

Go To Top