Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Plasti Dip to Make Safety Glass Bottles
BobD1001
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-4-2013 at 09:58
Plasti Dip to Make Safety Glass Bottles

I recently have been looking around for some bottles to safely store concentrated nitric. I came across some 16oz glass amber bottles with a PTFE Lined cap, non safety coated for about $24 (12 bottles). Soon after I found the same amber bottle with a PTFE lined cap from the same company, with a Plastisol safety coating on the outside for $71 (12 bottles).

Obviously that price difference seems a bit outrageous considering the only difference between the bottles is the Plastisol coating. My thought is to purchase the dozen less expensive bottles, and dip them up to their neck in clear Plasti Dip to act as a safety coating in case an accident ever were to happen. According to Plasti Dip's website:

"Plasti DipĀ® protective coating has excellent resistance to acids, alkaline, and most common household chemicals. However, it is best to test this before going ahead with your application. Plasti DipĀ® does have limited resistance to petroleum based products. "

So while I'm not placing any bet that it would hold up to concentrated nitric for long durations, it would likely be sufficient for those precious few seconds needed to re-contain the broken vessel. Plus the Plasti Dip's absorption of mechanical forces would potentially help prevent the glass from breaking in the first place.

Any thoughts gentlemen?

Thanks,
Bob
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-4-2013 at 11:03

Quote: Originally posted by BobD1001  
Any thoughts gentlemen?
Buy a small container of your desired plastic coating. Test it in nitric acid.
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-4-2013 at 12:08

Another simple solution is to just put the glass bottle inside of a thick plastic container for storage and handling. You could cut the top off of a larger plastic bottle, container, or even use a metal can as secondary containment. I might have a couple of plastic coated bottles left also, if you just want to buy one or two, rather than a whole case. But I just sold a bunch of the exact coated bottles that you describe, and that price is not that bad. The shipping is almost as bad as the cost of the bottles in many cases, as they are heavy.
neuman
Harmless

[*] posted on 9-4-2013 at 13:06

Plasti-dip comes off pretty easy on metal hand tools, you'd have to dip the item like 30-50 times in my opinion, I think I will try it and see.
BobD1001
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-4-2013 at 14:35

Dr. Bob I will buy the couple plastic coated amber bottles you have left over. Just to verify, they have PTFE lining on the caps?

If you could PM me the cost and paypal email address to send the $ to ill send it asap.
BobD1001
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 09:52

Well over the past couple days I safety coated about 4 bottles with two different types of aerosolized rubber coatings. The first was Home Armor "clear" rubberized coating from Home Depot. The second was Plasti Dip Clear. The Home Armor Ended up creating a horribly sticky air-bubble including mess. The Plasti Dip was highly favorable, and looks/performs much like the Schott Duran bottles I have. I will later be doing some destructive impact tests to verify performance.

Here are some pictures of the process:

The Home Armor and Bottle to be coated

The Plasti Dip and the awaiting bottle

The process was overall stupidly simple. I just taped over the threads with some painters tape, making sure it was tight over the threads. Applied several coats of the rubberized spray (the bottles were sprayed both upright (with a towel stuffed inside to prevent overspray from entering the bottle) and upside down.

Then once cured for 24 hours, I took an exacto knife to the edge of the tape so that it wouldn't pull the safety coating off, then simply peeled it away and was left with a clean safety bottle.

Here is a a comparison shot between the two coatings used:

I actually ended up removing the Home Armor coating (damn was it stuck to that glass!) from the larger bottle and Plasti Dipped it.

Here's a shot next to a Schott Duran bottle. The resemblence is uncanny:

And the final results looking pretty, and grip extremely well:

[Edited on 8-5-2013 by BobD1001]

[Edited on 8-5-2013 by BobD1001]
Arsole
Hazard to Self

Mood: Sleepy

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 18:31

I know you are probably fairly attached to those bottles after all that work and they do look very good. That being said you need to crack one up and test its ability to hold together otherwise it just looks pretty. :D

Thoughts, like fleas, jump from man to man, but they don't bite everybody.
-Stanisław Jerzy Lec
thewanderer
Harmless

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 19:18

Nice idea with the Plasti Dip, but does it seem like it would scratch off fairly easy?

It would be interesting to try an impact shock on one and then also try a thermal shock on another. The results may end up [somewhat] different.
BobD1001
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2013 at 19:31

Already have some bottles ready for destructive testing!

The coating is quite resistant to scratches and light impact, much more-so than i had imagined!
Oscilllator
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-5-2013 at 01:36

I dont see why the coatings need to be very resistant to chemicals. They dont come in contact with them in day-to-day use, and if the bottle does break pretty much any plastic will hold up for long enough for you to put it somewhere safe. With that in mind, just wrap the bottles in duct tape!

confused
Hazard to Others

Mood: tired

[*] posted on 9-5-2013 at 04:07

would the plastidip obscure any labels if they were sandwitched between the glass and plastidip layer?
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 9-5-2013 at 05:27

well for nitric acid you are so lucky that aluminium is pretty much inert to it (:

it will be cheaper im very sure of, but it will look more rubbish..
in short: wrap the bottles in aluminium foil

you can perhaps tape the aluminium foil so it will hold up very well also.. perhaps get an aluminium container of some sort (bucket?) 100% sure that shouldnt be too hard to get a hold of..
if you want it to look abit better you could perhaps contact a smith to make some fitting cylindrical tubes of aluminium

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
BobD1001
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-5-2013 at 08:29

This isn't simply for nitric storage anymore. I acquired some excellent plastisol coated safety and ptfe lined cap bottles form Dr. Bob and am now storing my nitric in one of the bottles received from him. However, I feel that many other chemicals should be stored in a safety coated bottle. For instance, my potassium permanganate will be stored within one of these bottles now. I don't even want to imagine cleaning up a permanganate powder spill.

I also plan to test the chemical resistance of the plasti dip. I will test in nitric, which I think it will hold up to for some time. Sulfuric, which im sure will carbonize it after some time. And HCl as well, which I believe wont compromise its integrity for some time... However these are all just my hypothesis. Testing will prove them right or wrong.
Arsole
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 9-5-2013 at 16:50

Speaking of messes I once dropped a glass bottle with about 500g of MnO2 on the floor while moving some things from one room to another. The bottle shattered and the stuff went everywhere, freaking impossible to clean from carpet and untreated wood. Wish the bottle would have been coated. now when I transfer chems they are in at least a rubber tote not 7 in one hand lol.

-Stanisław Jerzy Lec
Finnnicus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 9-5-2013 at 17:05

I have had such a bad experience with impure MnO2/C mixture. Ugh it was all over.... Even the rain won't wash it away! These bottles would be a lifesaver!

cyanureeves
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-5-2013 at 14:40

i got some 1"wide teflon tape from ebay about three weeks ago to spread over the mouth of a bottle holding nitric acid and the ordinary bottle cap has held up so far.

[Edited on 5-10-2013 by cyanureeves]
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 11-5-2013 at 03:21

i dont get it.. why do you guys want to have powders that doesnt really interfere or react with plastic as in plastic bags or containers in glass containers?
anyhow for MnO2 NaHSO3 or HCl should work

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
Arsole
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-5-2013 at 15:51

Q: "i dont get it.. why do you guys want to have powders that doesnt really interfere or react with plastic as in plastic bags or containers in glass containers?
anyhow for MnO2 NaHSO3 or HCl should work"

For me it is for a few reasons,

1) Consistency, all of my reagents are in clear Boston round bottles from a store called Specialty Bottle, I ordered a bunch at one time and the prices are very cheap. I also ordered a thin piece of Teflon sheet off eBay and replaced the cardboard inserts in the caps with circular Teflon cutouts. I also wrap the threads with Teflon tape if they will not be opened for awhile. This method has, so far, worked very well for me.

2) With glass I do not have to worry about compatibility at all, none. As long as I am not storing super strong aqueous bases or HF (Which I do not) there are no issues with compatibility (especially solvents).

3) Aesthetic, a row of glass bottles with nice labels and consistent sizes looks a lot better than miscellaneous plastic bottles everywhere (in my opinion).

As far as the rubberized coating goes I would want it simply to hold the glass together if the bottle cracked. Sulfuric acid wrecks a ton of things and if the bottle broke but held together you could save yourself a mess and having to buy a new pair of shoes. ;) This would give you the inertness of glass with more of the safety of plastic.

[Edited on 5-11-2013 by Arsole]

-Stanisław Jerzy Lec

Go To Top