Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Looking for a good programer
Finnnicus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-4-2013 at 17:49

Then it data could be accesed by other progams. Oh, I wish somebody had the skill and determination to make this!

Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 30-4-2013 at 05:42

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
The problem with such a project is the large amount of effort required to obtain even only a mediocre result. I myself am a software engineer and over the years I have built many software systems, sometimes alone, sometimes in a team-effort. Building good and robust software can be a daunting task. Building the 'all goes right' (a.k.a. the 'good weather scenario') is not that difficult, but making things robust (handling all kinds of erroneous input, non-convergence of iterative procedures, dealing with non-ideal networks, which can have lost connections, loss of packets and so on and so on) takes 80% of the effort and is the most tedious part of the job. I have seen many many promising projects dying quietly and being forgotten in a few months or years.

If you really want a nice product, be prepared to spend months on it!

I write this post, not to put you back, but to manage your expectations. I hope it will not disappoint you.

[Edited on 22-4-13 by woelen]

I agree, dealing with these little problems actually takes more time than actual work on the application project.

But if plante said he would like to share PDFs, can't we just open a sciencemadness torrent tracker and seed them? There is a php&mysql based TBDev torrent site interface which works on private trackers, there is also ratio of upload and download which encourages people to seed.

[Edited on 30-4-2013 by Random]
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 15-5-2013 at 14:15

Bump.

I never asked for this.
Bezaleel
Hazard to Others

Mood: transitional

[*] posted on 16-5-2013 at 02:32

OKey, so I read through this thread, and, plante, if you want to start this, I think you will need to make some decisions.

1. define what should be in the first release and what not
2. select software and languages you want to use - liaise with potential programmers
3. limit yourself in your initial ambitions

My 2 cents: I would not opt for MS Access as a database. I'm working with it on my job, and prefer to avoid it as it grows inacceptably slow on huge tables. In addition, it had all kinds of quirks an oddities we'd rather do without. Moreover, Access has many versions that are not completely compatible with one another. MySQL was suggested, which would be my suggestion too.

You speak of synchronisation, implying that users would have a local database that would need synchronising with the sciencemadness server. Is this what you had in mind?

There's one suggestion I'd like to highlight:
Quote: Originally posted by Gearhead_Shem_Tov  
Sounds to me like a wiki or perhaps a slashdot engine of some description might be a better point of departure. I'd lean toward the /. model, myself, in that reputation tracking is in-built, so the inevitable trolls and clueless cooks and kewls would be modded down. You wouldn't have to look at their nonsense (unless you wanted to look).

I don't know what sort of critical mass a /. system of distributed modding needs, though, since it does depend on semi-randomly-selected members being given mod points to use; since cranks and kooks would occasionally get to mod, you need a large enough pool of modders to ensure they get cancelled out.

-Bobby

I'm not familiar with this /., but it sounds as something we'd gladly use.

----------

If I were to set up something like this, I'd start very simply by creating a compound table with basic entries like CAS number (primary key), formula, reference to reactions table, user who contributed this, date contributed.
Next I'd add a reactions table that contains a primary key (sequence number), the reaction in formulae, and a few fields of text type that could contain descriptions in words of reaction conditions, yield, side reactions, personal experience performing it, etc. Finally I'd consider an attachments table for photographs, drawings, and the like.

That's the database part.

The work is concentrated in making a user interface to this DB (database). Here you will need the expertise of those that are familiar with multiple users accessing the DB through a local interface. There should be some intelligence here to prevent spammers, too many entries of one user, repeated entries, rights management (you shouldn't be allowed to change/delete ohter contributers' entries, unless you're a superuser) etc.

I see a great advantage in something like this on the forum, as it is specifically dedicated to the work we can do in our home labs und conditions that are feasible there. There's only a very limited number of compounds and syntheses that mad scientists undertake. My estimate is that our discussions don't mention over 10,000 different compounds.
plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-5-2013 at 04:11

I would answer all the 3 questions if I had a programmer to talk with, the project goes with the programmer and vice versa.

We simply need someone taking the project in charge.

About the reactions table, it could be interesting to introduce a little background, for example, my preparation of mercury from cinnabar without solutions and distillation. I would call myself the "inventor of the procedure".

I never asked for this.
APO
National Hazard

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 23-5-2013 at 02:52

I have a suspicion that Java may work well, or Actionscript.

"Damn it George! I told you not to drop me!"
ElizabethGreene
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-6-2013 at 13:39

Brainstorming questions: What information would you want on the label?
Chemical formula, Name, Source, Melting/Boiling point, Purity, Flash Point, Cas number, and Fire diamond?

Follow-on question: What would you like in the database

More information on synthesis? MSDS? Pictures? Cost?

Thanks in advance,

Ellie
plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 19:53

bump.

I still think it is a great idea, it should be sticked, so more programmer could see it.

I never asked for this.
kch
Harmless

[*] posted on 4-8-2013 at 19:34

I have a good knowledge of programming, and I do have experience with something of this nature. I don't think I can do bulk of the programming because of time, but I can definitely create a basic framework that would allow others to program as well
plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-8-2013 at 19:38

Would be interesting, but I have a conflict of interest due the cook related thread.

I never asked for this.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 5-8-2013 at 06:59

Quote: Originally posted by plante1999  
I have a conflict of interest due the cook related thread.
<strong>plante1999</strong>, drop it.

plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-8-2013 at 18:53

Dropped a while back, but try to be polite...

I never asked for this.
plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2013 at 08:30

Here is a resume of what have been said, if I missed something, please say so I can update.

(bump)

Attachment: The database project.docx (14kB)
This file has been downloaded 351 times

I never asked for this.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 8-10-2013 at 08:40

Why couldn't you just post this instead of making an attachment?
Quote:
The database project
<hr width="80%" />
Objective :
Make a database for chemistry related work, reactions or compound with society like aspect with automated functions.

Ideas :
  • A database for chemical reactions and compounds which is made by the users
  • A mean to make accounts, of which rank is atributed by the users of the database
  • The database is a software which is synchronised by some agency.
  • The database is funded by the users, if they want to donate
  • Each input is ranked by the users, lower rated imput are down in some sort of list, and eventually deleted or archived
  • The rank of an user is given by the rank of his post, a comite of admin will choose the moderators, but it could be automated too.
  • Each users could have there own page much like a website or blog, to put content. A way to send message between users would be great too.
  • Lastly, if possible, a chatroom might be nice.
  • Addon, like printabe label for the chems would be interesting, altough it is not necessery.
  • If things go well, the programmer could take profit from the donations if people are ok with it.

Original release :
    In the original release, only the account part, and the database could be done, and eventually updated on further release.

plante1999
    International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2013 at 08:46

Sorry, I was just taking notes in word while looking through the thread, then I uploaded the edited document.

I never asked for this.
    Mailinmypocket
    International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2013 at 10:10

A good inventory program is Chemshelf. It is freeware, the only problem is I am having trouble finding the download for it online (still looking though)

It only does inventory, print labels with barcodes and has links to MSDS pages. It does not have the other features you are looking for though like a reaction database, chemical information pages and social networking etc etc. That would be more of a mix between the Merck Index software package with an integrated Sciencemadness. I imagine it could be a headache to make it perfect :S

Anyways, this is Chemshelf, for those interested. If I can find the installer I will post a link or upload it here.

bfesser
    Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 8-10-2013 at 10:57

<strong><a href="viewthread.php?tid=11235#pid146439">Version 1.1.0.0</a></strong>

Mailinmypocket
    International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-10-2013 at 11:01

Well I'll be damned... Thanks bfesser!
    bfesser
    Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 8-10-2013 at 11:11

No problem. Let me know if it works&mdash;I'm on Linux.

bahamuth
    Hazard to Others

Mood: Under stimulated

[*] posted on 8-10-2013 at 11:54

It appears to work for me, on win 7.

Great find, perhaps now I'll bother to catalog my stuff...

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    plante1999
    International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-10-2013 at 08:24

I may have found someone to do the programing IRL, I will keep you all updated.

Shortly (in a few week) I should have the first demo.

I never asked for this.
    bfesser
    Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 9-10-2013 at 08:47

<strong>plante1999</strong>, I mean no offense by this, but your idea seems to be overly ambitious yet poorly defined. I doubt that you'll find a programmer willing to deal with such a project. Regardless, I wish you luck.

plante1999
    International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-10-2013 at 08:54

I take no offence, and be sure that even if people find this overly ambitious and poorly defined, they will all benefit from the effors I put into this project.

I never asked for this.
    watson.fawkes
    International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-10-2013 at 12:37

Quote: Originally posted by plante1999  
    benefit from the effors I put into this project.
    I've remained silent this whole time, since there was no point in putting down a stillborn foal. I take exception both to words "effort" and "project" in referring to this. What you've proposed is at the bar-napkin stage of maturity as a design. Doing even reasonable conceptual design, if it were budgeted as a commercial product, would be already into the five figures. That's actual effort. Doing the software development for something that would pass as an initial release would have a budget of seven or eight figures. That's an actual project.

Please don't bump this again. You'll just continue to embarrass yourself.
    plante1999
    International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-10-2013 at 15:13

I won't be sure, but I will do my best to make it happen, with or without members help.

I never asked for this.
     Pages:  1  2

Go To Top