Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Most corrosive agent?
Reverend Necroticus Rex
Hazard to Others

Mood: Poisonous

[*] posted on 8-9-2004 at 09:18

No offense meant at all caesium, but I think you underestimate us at the MSDB, we are all about finding out different methods to synthesise all sorts of materials no matter how mad or unusual they may seem.

The sun is shining on a brand new day
Blackened corpses burn where they were slain
Self-flagellation prompts him to confess, Bless me father, for I made this mess.
Theoretic
National Hazard

Mood: eating the souls of dust mites

cool.gif posted on 12-9-2004 at 12:25

*Graham Norton voice*

HELL-LO, LADIES! I'M BA-ACK! :cool:

O2F2 is your ultimate oxidizer, at liquid air temperatures it's almost as agressive as elemental fluorine at room t. Think what it does at normal t (if it doesn't do anything at those temperatures it decomposes, it's that active :D).

Fluorine has been excelled! Peroxygen fluoride is the king! :cool:

budullewraagh
Hazard to Others

Mood: Aliphatic

[*] posted on 12-9-2004 at 18:30

F2O2? that's sick man!

Check out my political blog and click lots of ads:
http://www.independent-thinkers.blogspot.com
JohnWW
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-9-2004 at 18:44

Do you think O2F2 could oxidize Au up to Au(V) pentafluoride? The usual reaction is with a mixture of F2 and O2, via dioxygenyl hexafluoroaurate(V):

2Au(s) + 2O2(g) + 6F2(g) (370°C, 8 atmosphere) -> 2O2AuF6 (sublime, 180°C) -> 2AuF5(s) + 2O2(g) + F2(g)

http://www.webelements.com/webelements/compounds/text/Au/Au1...

A red solid, it decomposes at 60ºC. The same reaction with Pt would probably produce O2PtF6, or with pure F2, PtF6.

John W.
Theoretic
National Hazard

thumbup.gif posted on 13-9-2004 at 09:22

I'm sure it will, it's certainly more aggressive than fluorine, and it has the oxygen you would otherwise have to add to the fluorine in an active "peroxygen" state (the -O-O- group is always more oxidizing than elemental oxygen, while O2F2 is F-O-O-F, so it has the oxidizing power of H2O2 and fluorine combined, oh and O2F2 is highly ENDOTHERMIC).
So yes, it will do what fluorine on its own can't, make AuF5.

Pyrovus
Hazard to Others

Mood: heretical

[*] posted on 16-9-2004 at 03:58

I don't know how this compares with O2F2, but apparently ClF5 is quite nasty, on account of it being about as reactive as fluorine but much denser.

Anyhow, I was reading through a rather old chemistry book of mine and ran across this:

From Latimer, Hildebrand, "Reference Book of Inorganic Chemistry", 1929

Quote:
Fluorine forms the fairly stable oxide, F2O, and at low temperatures the oxides F2O2 and F2O3

The book unfortunately doesn't elaborate on how stable it is (which I found rather annoying), so it could just be an unstable intermediary or something. Still, if it is stable (to some extent) it'd probably be a bit more corrosive than F2O2 owing to the fact that it has 3(!) oxygens in a row.

[Edited on 16-9-2004 by Pyrovus]

Never accept that which can be changed.
Blind Angel
National Hazard

Mood: Meh!

[*] posted on 16-9-2004 at 04:48

Fluorine Superoxide :o:o
Ohhhhh, tasty!

Man ppl can't type chemistry formula right F2O3 search on google yield result talking about Fe2O3, but i found a Ref here

Btw: use [ sub ] [ /sub ] (whitout space)

/}/_//|//) /-\\/|//¬/=/_
My PGP Key Fingerprint: D4EA A609 55E4 7ADD 8529 359D D6E2 33F6 4C76 78ED
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 16-9-2004 at 09:28

Quote:
Originally posted by Pyrovus
I don't know how this compares with O2F2, but apparently ClF5 is quite nasty, on account of it being about as reactive as fluorine but much denser.

I read somewhere that someone had succeeded in producing the cation ClF6+ as a stable compound, isoelectronic with SF6. It would be highly reactive, but probably less so than ClF5 due to its greater molecular symmetry and Cl(VII) being more stable than Cl(V).

John W.
Theoretic
National Hazard

thumbup.gif posted on 17-9-2004 at 09:25

Not fluorine SUPERoxide, and not even fluorine peroxide. Peroxygen fluoride... the sound of it kind of prepares you for hearing about its reactivity...

Oh, and F2O4 also exists (btw, "F2O3" is actually a mixture of F2O2 and F2O4).

verode
Harmless

[*] posted on 30-10-2005 at 09:09

Maybe the more powerfull oxydant is the cation KrF+
KrF(SbF6) + ClF5= Kr+ ClF6(SbF6)
blaze4212005
Harmless

mad.gif posted on 21-6-2006 at 04:53
fluoro-antimonic acid

i only say one thing about this stuff .:mad:the stuff 1,018 times more powerful than concentrated sulphuric acid . and i dare u to stick yur finger in there if u think i am wrong lol
Nerro
National Hazard

Mood: Whatever...

[*] posted on 21-6-2006 at 05:35

Quote:
Originally posted by Reverend Necroticus Rex
There is always "magic acid" fluoroantimonic acid, a 50% solution of SbF5 in HF, vicious stuff, pretty much the strongest superacid in existence I think.
Nope, CHB<sub>11</sub>Cl<sub>11</sub> is way stronger :D

Wikipedi has a picture of this molecule

[Edited on Wed/Jun/2006 by Nerro]

#261501 +(11351)- [X]

the \"bishop\" came to our church today
he was a fucken impostor
never once moved diagonally

courtesy of bash
blaze4212005
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-6-2006 at 06:10

yes but it not Most corrosive:) acid tho is it look here

http://www.scienceforums.net/forums/showthread.php?p=214866
Jdurg
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 21-6-2006 at 18:21

Being strongly acidic does not neccessarily mean that a compound is very corrosive. The superacids being generated in research labs are incredibly strong acids, but are usually not all that corrosive. On the opposite end of the spectrum, HF is a fairly weak acid yet it is one of the most corrosive compounds out there.

\"A real fart is beefy, has a density greater than or equal to the air surrounding it, consists of the unmistakable scent of broccoli, and usually requires wiping afterwards.\"
http://maddox.xmission.com.
Pyrovus
Hazard to Others

Mood: heretical

[*] posted on 21-6-2006 at 22:07

This might be a bit ambitious, but anyway:

If there could be found a Lewis acid strong enough to make F2 act as a Lewis base (i.e. form a complex of the form F - F(+) - X), then you could effectively have a compound in which one of the fluorine atoms is in the +1 oxidation state. It will be the fluorine atom on the end that is in the +1 oxidation state, not the middle one (this is because, owing to the positive charge on the middle fluorine atom, the electrons in the F-F bond will be closer to the middle fluorine. As a result, the fluorine on the end will have lost partial control of an electron, putting it in the +1 oxidation state.) Such a reaction is known to occur for the heavier halogens, for instance, chlorine will react with AlCl3 as follows: Cl2 + AlCl3 -> Cl-Cl(+)-Al(-)Cl3
in which the chlorine atom on the end behaves as would be expected if it were in the +1 oxidation state.
So if such a feat could be performed with fluorine, this might perhaps be the most corrosive possible chemical compound (the most corrosive non-chemical agent you could get in the universe would probably be antimatter :)).

[Edited on 22-6-2006 by Pyrovus]

Never accept that which can be changed.
ethan_c
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-6-2006 at 02:20

Quote:
Originally posted by Psychopatic
Quantum:
I'm knowing what i'm doing, and I have done experiments with much more dangerous chemicals than HF.

Reverend Necroticus Rex:
I've heard about this Fluoroantimonic acid, I think it is ment in the Guinnes Records of the World.

JustMe:
I have a very small pot with Chromium Trioxide! This should be examinated... There is no warning signs on it.

Working at the pharmacy is fun! But the boss is not so happy about my orders :D. But it is my dad who is boss there, so...

Some chemicals I have got from there (the most hazardous):
Metallic Sodium
Bromine
White Phosphorus (this was not something to play with!)
Potassium Cyanide
Mercury Chloride
Arsenic
Thallium

I also worked at the hospitals physics-department, as a trainee. Some radioactive isotopes "mystically disappeared", from there ;)

I can't even tell you how bad a plan all of this is.

Personally, I am nuts. I still play around with concentrated mineral acids.
But no one really understands how insidiously dangerous HF is until they make a mistake. I have one hospital stay under my belt from that one, even being super careful.

Sodium- meh. Keep it away from large amounts of water. Bromine? Keep it in its container, pull a few drops out to experiment…not a huge deal as long as you don't pour it all over the place. But WP, any cyanide, arsenic, and thallium- you're gonna die. It's not worth it.

Chromium trioxide is corrosive, but the true danger lies in the fact that it's quite carcinogenic. If you weren't aware of this, cancer SUCKS. I have CrO3, its a useful compound, but be vewy vewy careful…

Bah. Have your fun. But be very careful that your fun doesn't end in heavy metal toxicity, hypocalcemia, blindness, or a simple tertiary case of DEATH.
lightningstalker
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-6-2006 at 22:15

Quote:
Originally posted by Saerynide
*Why* would they have:
Metallic Sodium
Bromine
White Phosphorus (this was not something to play with!)
Potassium Cyanide
Mercury Chloride
Arsenic
Thallium
in a pharymacy?? :o:D

[Edit]: typo

[Edited on 11-8-2004 by Saerynide]

Dunno if you will read this because that post is a few years old, but some pharmacies order directly from chemical supply houses for things like epsom salt and saltpeter, so they could order anything the house carries.

Quote:
I also worked at the hospitals physics-department, as a trainee. Some radioactive isotopes "mystically disappeared", from there ;)

Perhaps you all aren't aware of how dangerous radioisotopes are. Ever heard of a dirty bomb? Yhea. A few grams of material can kill hundreds if not thousands of people, whereas HF can get diluted in air and water to harmless levels much more easily. This of course would depend on a lot of things, such as the halflife of the particular isotope, but if it were, say, 134Cs or 90Sr, it would be bad. 238Pu could release some nastiness beyond imagination.

[Edited on 29-6-2006 by lightningstalker]
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-6-2006 at 02:32

Quote:
Originally posted by verode
Maybe the more powerfull oxydant is the cation KrF+
KrF(SbF6) + ClF5= Kr+ ClF6(SbF6)

Yes, I heard that someone had recently made a compound of ClF6+ (isoelectronic with SF6 and PF6-), formerly thought to be an "impossible" compound, and that was probably the method, in which the Kr effectively gives up a F+ ion to be evolved as the gas. But KrF2 is hard enough to make and store (and ArF2 harder still - only by low-temperature solid-phase irradiation, and detectable only by the Ar-F bond's IR stretching frequency); presumably it reacts with SbF5, a very powerful Lewis acid, to form KrF[SbF6]. I wonder if BrF6+ has been similarly made.

The cation NF4+ would probably be made in the above reaction if NF3 were substituted for ClF5. I understand that it has been made by other means as salts of BF4- and PF6- and ClO4-. If it could be isolated in combination with a F- anion, that would be effectively NF5, although containing two different types of F atom which would show up in the F-19 NMR spectrum.
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-6-2006 at 16:40

Following on from my previous post on this thread, if F2O were used instead of ClF5 or NF3 in the above reaction with KrF[SbF6], because the Kr gives up an F+ cation, it is likely to be a method of preparing the trifluorooxonium cation, OF3+, also as a salt of SbF6- or other powerful Lewis acid, but which seems so far to have eluded isolation. This is in spite of its being theoretically thermodynamically stable, with the O being tetravalent. This may be a route to the tetrafluoride, [OF3]F, again coiontaining two types of F atom, which apparently cannot be prepared directly.
ethan_c
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-7-2006 at 00:11

Quote:
Originally posted by lightningstalker
Perhaps you all aren't aware of how dangerous radioisotopes are. Ever heard of a dirty bomb? Yhea. A few grams of material can kill hundreds if not thousands of people, whereas HF can get diluted in air and water to harmless levels much more easily. This of course would depend on a lot of things, such as the halflife of the particular isotope, but if it were, say, 134Cs or 90Sr, it would be bad. 238Pu could release some nastiness beyond imagination.

I have a bone to pick with this. Dirty bombs as a weapon aren't meant to kill lots of people- that idea just doesn't make sense. The idea is to incite mass hysteria, and cause lots of health problems that would push any government to the breaking point, staff-wise and money-wise.
If 'a few grams of material' can kill people like you say, bombs of this design would be employed by many militaries without a doubt. Radioisotopes of Cs, Co, Sr, Pu, Np, etc are much, much more likely to cause one long-term health problems than they are to outright kill one.
The truth is that governments and corporations illegally and irresponsibly dump 'used' radioisotopes all the time, all over the world, and while it's not a GOOD thing, at the moment our species has bigger fish to try, to say the least. We are quite lucky that as organic beings, we are fairly resistant to low-power yet persistant radiation exposure, because it's all over the place (we get radiation exposure from natural carbon and potassium isotopes every second).
verode
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-1-2007 at 13:55

Quote:
Originally posted by Psychopatic
Hello everyone! I'm new here!

Now, my first question is, how to manufacture the most corrosive agent as possible. I have concentrated Nitric Acid (68%) & concentrated Hydrochloric Acid (35%), in my larder. And this gives the well-known Aqua Regalis, in the properties 1:3. But is it possible to make something even more corrosive than this? I also have concentrated Sulphuric Acid (96%).

Hydroflourine Acid, is said to be extremly corrosive, but I do not have access to that.

Any tip?

try with SeOCl2 very nice ...only pure C resist the attack
very powerfull solvent.-
verode
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-1-2007 at 13:59

Quote:
Originally posted by Reverend Necroticus Rex
There is always "magic acid" fluoroantimonic acid, a 50% solution of SbF5 in HF, vicious stuff, pretty much the strongest superacid in existence I think.

better SO3+ HSO3F + SbF5 it's even stronger
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 2-1-2007 at 08:17

In what kind of vessels they store such compounds? Since a few weeks I have some KHF2 and in my first experiment with that I already spoiled a test tube, so I really wonder how compounds like HF/SbF5 mixes are stored or processed.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Nerro
National Hazard

Mood: Whatever...

[*] posted on 2-1-2007 at 10:12

Doesn't Ni get pacified by HF by forming an thin impenetrable layer of NiF2?

#261501 +(11351)- [X]

the \"bishop\" came to our church today
he was a fucken impostor
never once moved diagonally

courtesy of bash
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top