Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Metal vapor spectro - army surplus lust
morganism
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 19-4-2013 at 15:27
Metal vapor spectro - army surplus lust

nice piece of surplus gear, considered portable....

graphite furnace. 98% off PerkinsElmer list !

http://www.surplusshed.com/pages/item/i1434.html
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 19-4-2013 at 19:51

wow, orig $70k+ now only $1.25k. that looks like it could be fun. yah.. kinda portable-ish. would be nice if it could do a couple more or at least different metals, perhaps with other lamps. doesn't sound like that would really be possible though. metals like say Co for one would be interesting.

personally I think one of the XRF guns would be ideal, a bit more portable. if they weren't like $35K would be useful for cheap materials gathering activities. yard sales n surplus auctions etc. and like a million other uses
dontasker
Harmless

Mood: Plopping

[*] posted on 20-4-2013 at 00:14

I need more money.

Those X-ray analyzers are amazing. I've been primary doing tech support over the years and I had to help an engineer load some drivers for one on a laptop.

We wasted a good half hour walking around the office testing things. Steel cabinets read as titanium. It was confusing for a couple seconds but then realized it was the white pigment.

I would love to rent one and go to garage sales and surplus stores. Test old, junk jewelery to see if you can get a hand full of gold for a couple bucks.

violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 20-4-2013 at 22:42

"I need more money" tell me about it, soooo much fun could be had with one of those.

one of the guys I bought metal from on ebay, said he always uses one. he especially liked going to military or government sell-offs. you could get some really interesting odds and ends for dirt cheap that just looked like crap metal. but low and behold you have a specialty alloy. I ended up buying a few pounds of tantalum from the guy. ounce at a time for like 20$ and the balance for 100$ flat when no one else was interested. ~4lbs for like 150$ when everyone else on ebay was selling for 40$/g.

Ta has been great fun to play with as electrodes and arc gaps. at first I thought it was prob just a mix. but it held up to electrolysis, acid baths, heat and 13Kv arc points. just goes crystalline if heated too much and eventually shatters.

but long story short, he said it got him all kinds of income he normally walked right past...

Go To Top