Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: possible to perform Grignard with no solvent?
Furboffle
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-4-2013 at 21:49
possible to perform Grignard with no solvent?

I'll be synthesizing some bromo-ethane as soon as my order of sodium bromide arrives in a couple days, and I'd like to work with some Grignard reactions. I know its typical to use ether or THF as a solvent, but is this even necessary? isn't the main thing just keeping it dry and aprotic until doing the workup upon completion?

ethyl-magnesiumbromide is a liquid at room temp, if my aldehyde or ketone is a solid at room temp I'm sure solubility in ethyl magnesiumbromide might be a little limited. however, say I use something like dry acetone as my electrophile. randomly chosen I'm not certain of the solubility/miscibility of ethyl-magnesiumbromide and acetone, but acetone tends to have pretty promiscuous solubilities.... if they do mix. is it not suitable for Grignard reagents to either 1. be used as a solvent, or 2. use its counterpart reagent as its own solvent? I plan on doing some experimental work so I suppose this could very well be one of my tests, but going with what you know I'm sure I'll employ ether or THF. it would just be an interesting way to save reagents/money. not to mention using bromo-ethane as the solvent when reacting with magnesium to begin with...
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

[*] posted on 27-4-2013 at 03:20

I do not get it., what is this post about?

Grignard reagents are solids when they are dried under inert atmosphere, even EtMgBr, but they are not stable in this form, extremely reactive and they decompose fast if they are not stored with proper care.

Some Grignard reagents are manufactured without solvent in the chemical industry e.g.: PhMgBr and PhMgCl, but using this method for home experiments is not a good idea, since a lot heat evolves and because of this the highly toxic, carcinogen bromoethane will evaporate. If you do not have good labware. And since no solvent is used, also a lot side product will also form, here magnesium-bromide, ethylene and butane, so please, do not try this method.

You say that acetone would be the solvent of your experiments and also the reactant. This is a good idea, but when the Grignard contacts it, it will form a nearly insoluble stuff that will settle to the bottom.

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."
Furboffle
Harmless

[*] posted on 27-4-2013 at 12:09

sorry if the thread didn't have a very clear cut purpose. is it reasonable to perform grignard without a solvent? but I guess you cleared that up, yes it can be done. but with the whole argument regarding proper setup for safety's sake, I'll stick with solvent. I don't feel like getting any more cancer than I'm already destined or end up with dolphin babies...

according to the data page below about EtMgBr, it freezes around -116C so I was assuming that meant it was a liquid.... not really sure how to interpret that any other way... (not trying to be an asshole)
http://www.chemicalbook.com/ChemicalProductProperty_EN_CB869...

BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 27-4-2013 at 12:27

There are a number of chemical databases that have cropped up that have no chemists as fact checkers. They harvest their information from around the web based on different algorithms setup by the creator for those sites. Unfortunately a lot of bad information is propagated in this way. In your instance, although you see on that page EtMgBr freezes at -116C, note that straight diethyl ether has the same freezing point.

If you look at the density however you note that it is greater than ether itself, however a search reveals that the 3.0 M solution available from Aldrich has the same density and may be where this value was culled from.

I am not an expert in organomagnesium chemistry but as far as I know the creation of Grignard reagents requires ether to stabilize the Grignard reagent. Not only does it require an ether but only certain ethers will do, for example dioxane will crash out the magnesium halides and leave behind alkyl magnesium compounds, In many instances the reaction between an active metal and an alkyl halide will result in the formation of the metal alkyl and the metal halide but the solvent moderates this reaction and stabilizes this 'intermediate' compound. I do not think that if you ran this reaction without a solvent it could even rightly be called a Grignard reaction although even if you formed the magnesium alkyl it likely has similar reactivity to what you are looking for (and it will be pyrophoric as all get out).

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 1-5-2013 at 14:26

Generally.......No!

Grignard reagents are complexes that contain some type of ether.

Your chances of forming the Grignard reagent you desire, without using ether, are slim and none. Stop! I was being too generous. None.

Formation and reaction of a Grignard reagent, used to be included in every elementary Organic Chemistry lab text book.

Find one, and follow the procedure EXACTLY.

You seem to be intelligent. Show real intelligence, and perform this experiment, under the supervision of an experienced mentor....or in an academic environment. As procedures go, forming and reacting a Grignard Reagent isn't super dangerous. None-the-less, Ether can be quite dangerous to work with. There are lots of critical dos and don'ts. If you screw up, you can die. Worse, you can become a crispy critter.

Note: Grignard reagents may sometimes be formed or at least reacted, in ethers like Anisole. Not common, but possible.

Furboffle
Harmless

[*] posted on 2-5-2013 at 18:29

I've performed plenty of grignard reactions at the university under supervision in the past, I can safely and properly perform it on my own.
its just studying organic is my hobby and passion, so sure I can learn how to do it and learn the mechanics of the reaction. but I want to know more than that, not just enough for real world practice. based on the typical requirements it just always calls for ether, but based on any lecture or textbook explaination it just always calls for anhydrous ether and no protic solvents until the workup. I'd just like to know if more the sake of just background knowledge if its doable. not that I'm actually going to try it.
mnick12
Hazard to Others

Mood: devious

[*] posted on 2-5-2013 at 20:28

An ether is necessary in most cases because it coordinates the magnesium metal center. However not all ethers are appropriate, stericaly hindered molecules like MTBE won't work. On one occasion I was able to form n-propylmagnesium bromide in a hexane ether mix, but the yields were hurrendous (<20%). Really if you want to form a grignard ether needs to be used in sufficient quantities.
zed
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-repentant Sith Lord

[*] posted on 3-5-2013 at 13:04

So, we would use a dangerous solvent like Diethyl Ether, scrupulously anhydrous, just for fun?

Methinks you are jesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grignard_reaction

[Edited on 3-5-2013 by zed]
sonogashira
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-5-2013 at 02:40

DCM is a useful solvent for some Grignard reactions. There are many literature examples where it is used successfully.

[Edited on 4-5-2013 by sonogashira]
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 4-5-2013 at 05:46

Sonogashira,

I was able to find a few references quickly to DCM being used as a solvent for reaction of a Grignard reagent however none of them prepared the Grignard reagent in DCM.

J. Org. Chem. 56, 5736 (1991) EtMgBr in ether, substrate in DCM
J. Org. Chem., 53,729 (1988) Prepared in ether, solvent exchange to DCM (hazy solution)
J. Org. Chem., 69, 7336 (2004) Solvent exchange to DCM

Following the original poster's line of thinking I am more interested in what solvents can be used to form a Grignard. DCM doesn't seem like the best solvent for making a Grignard as it itself could react with the magnesium metal although it is apparently stable enough to run a reaction in once the Grignard is made. I would not consider this anywhere near an exhaustive search of the literature but is this what you were saying or have you seen literature where a Grignard was actually made in DCM?

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Prometheus23
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 4-5-2013 at 05:55

Glymes are always a useful alternative to the usual options of diethyl ether and THF. Especially butyl diglyme which is sometimes used in gold refining I believe.
sonogashira
National Hazard

[*] posted on 4-5-2013 at 09:41

Quote: Originally posted by BromicAcid  
have you seen literature where a Grignard was actually made in DCM?
No, not from metallic Mg.

The solvent-free Barbier reaction may be more worthwhile to try.

Attachment: Tetrahedron 2011 67 05 00849 - 00855.pdf (729kB)
This file has been downloaded 853 times

[Edited on 4-5-2013 by sonogashira]

Attachment: Grignard reagent formation.pdf (686kB)
This file has been downloaded 2310 times

Go To Top