Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Current ripple in chlorate cells
jhonn
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-4-2013 at 05:31
Current ripple in chlorate cells

I've been using computer power supplies for my chlorate cell, and it works just fine.But i'm going to make a bigger cell with a rewound micowave transformer, rectifier bridges, and some capacitors.The voltage is 5.5, but since it has no regulation there is a small ripple.Is this ripple too prejudicial in a chlorate cell? Will it reduce efficiency?Do i really need a regulator circuit ?
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 27-4-2013 at 08:49

I never had any problems. I tried with and without caps and a filter choke, don't recall it made much difference.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 27-4-2013 at 12:44

I never used smoothing caps either and they apparently weren't needed.
Patiamiyam
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-5-2013 at 16:48

I'm doing the same thing except I'm using a cheap welder (exactly like Len did in 'Illustrative guide to sodium')
I have a couple of questions. First apparently my pulsed DC isn't regulated enough for a volt meter to show it. It shows fine with a DMM, but it won't show at all with a voltage LED. It bought a battery cap for a 9v battery and it shows voltage from than OK, but not from my meter. I have the same problem with my amp meter.
I'm also interested in getting a 'low pass filter' 10 hz. so that I can see my amperage at the RMS, not the 'useless peak' as Len mentions. I've looked for a filter on ebay and can't seem to find anything. Since it's only measuring amps across a shunt, I wouldn't think it had to be built with much copper at all.
Does anybody know of a cheap way I can measure voltage and amps using my existing voltage and amp gauge, some way to smooth or regulate good enough the current so it shows?
And I'm just as confused with the low pass filter, I know what it does, but not where to get one or the specs really either.
Thanks in advance.
jock88
National Hazard

[*] posted on 23-7-2013 at 15:42

See the last link on this page.

http://www.oxidizing.110mb.com/chlorate/powersup.html

Go To Top