Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: Chemistry for camping?
Morgan
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 28-6-2013 at 12:30

I found the non-serrated side of the hacksaw length provided with my Harbor Freight Mg block works if you scrape on the edges of the magnesium fire starter. When scraped flat against a side I got nowhere. And after scraping the edge for a bit you can move to either side of the edge and get it to produce shavings as well. A few minutes of this or sooner with rapid scraping, a good fluffy pile of magnesium curls can be had.
And from this a rake of the serrated side of the blade against the ferro could easily ignite the pile on the first try.
But yes, it seems like there might be a better way still undiscovered to light a fire with less energy expended/to perfect some pre-existing devices.
Just now I tried angling the smooth side of the hacksaw blade toward me and dragging it which then bit into the metal enough to grind metal from the narrow flat side of the block. And the shavings lit on the third spark.

[Edited on 28-6-2013 by Morgan]
Solomon
Hazard to Self

Mood: FOR SCIENCE!

[*] posted on 28-6-2013 at 18:40

sodium nitrate, sugar, steel wool, and a 9 volt battery!
Morgan
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-6-2013 at 20:24

Maybe a vial of silver nitrate, bic lighter, and a magnifying lens situated on/ built into this device would be nice just to be ready in any event. They really get into survival options. I liked the magnesium pencil shapener feature. Carry some bullets and matches with you too. ha
Mag-Na-Fire Review
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVpQquGMO74#t=2m30s
Xring1968
Harmless

[*] posted on 1-7-2013 at 20:10

This is my first post here but the method we have used for everything from our deck fire place to camp fires is to heat paraffin wax to around 200*F and drowned small (2") pinecones in it for about a minute in a wire basket. Then shake off the excess wax and spread them out on brown paper to dry. They will light with even a paper match and burn for some time with a great deal of heat. They also store fine in a plastic bag, wont poison your food or stink up your gear, can't get wet no matter the conditions, and last but not least the TSA won't poach them out of your checked bag if you are flying.
Hope this helps

[Edited on 2-7-2013 by Xring1968]
Solomon
Hazard to Self

Mood: FOR SCIENCE!

[*] posted on 1-7-2013 at 20:23

Ammonium perchlorate and a blowtorch:D!

<!-- bfesser_edit_tag -->[<a href="u2u.php?action=send&username=bfesser">bfesser</a>: removed excessive emoticons]

[Edited on 7/9/13 by bfesser]
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 3-7-2013 at 19:40

Has anyone considered soaking a cloth in molten wax? Possibly beforehand mixing a minor amount of KNO3 and/or Hexamethylenetetramine (or together) into the wax, then after letting the material drip off and cool rolling it up using say meat wrapping paper. This would light with a Bic easily and burn fairly well assuming you set up your wood and kindling tinder properly. The cloth would burn even after it had been wet, long enough to both dry out and ignite the tender. Lightweight, easy and it would seem safe to store folded up in a backpack taking up little space in storage. Just a thought experiment I'm having on the fly but I see no reason this would not be a great waterproof fire starter.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
ElectroWin
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-7-2013 at 12:06

yeah, paraffin wax is good for that

http://www.chicaandjo.com/2008/05/20/make-your-own-firestart...
Motherload
Hazard to Others

Mood: Shitty

[*] posted on 8-7-2013 at 12:21

I just carry a pack of Hexamine fuel tabs and a couple of BIC lighters..
Whether or not I can build a fire ..... I can still cook my food in a can.
Hexamine burns slow and hot enough to set damp wood on fire with bark etc.

"Chance favours the prepared mind"
"Fuck It !! We'll do it live !!"
hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 9-7-2013 at 03:35

I don't know exactly what's in it, but I sure would like to find out.

http://www.disasternecessities.com/product/CL%20S090
jgourlay
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 12:18
Followup

Okay gents, thanks for all the suggestions!!! I've landed on 'candles' as follows:

1. Case of the 'candle' is a toilet paper tube
2. Thin parafin 'cap' poured into one end
3. 'candle' is filled 3/4 of the way up with magnesium shavings densely packed in and 'filled' with melted trioxane.
4. Once that is cool, then comes a layer (1/8 height) of a 75%/25% by volume of potassium permangate and mangesium shavings.
5. Cap with a layer of parafin.

Ignite by standing on end, permanganate end up. Shove a chopstick sized stick into the end, about 1/3 way down. Cover with a leaf to protect hole from rain. Build a your entire teepee around this, but leave a hole big enough to reach your fist into near the candle top. When built, reach in and squirt some glycerin into the hole.

Stand back. Stand way way way way WAAAAAAY back.

This will light a fire even if all the wood has sat soakign ina 5 gallon bucket of water for a week.
Hennig Brand
International Hazard

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 17:50

High concentration moonshine.

A little highly concentrated moonshine/ethanol poured on a tissue, paper towel, cloth, etc is very easily lit even by weak sparks. I tried it one day when I was looking for things to light with an old fashioned flint and steel. You can also drink your fire starter which will help make you feel warmer and improve your outlook if you can't get the fire started. :D

"A risk-free world is a very dull world, one from which we are apt to learn little of consequence." -Geerat Vermeij
Fenir
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 8-1-2014 at 18:17

You could theoreticly make matches by combining potassium perchlorate, sulphur, and antimony trisulphide. With a few drops of gum arabic you could stick the mixture to sticks. The resultant match would light with friction.
roXefeller
Hazard to Others

Mood: 220 221 whatever it takes

[*] posted on 9-1-2014 at 08:09

Quote: Originally posted by jgourlay  

3. 'candle' is filled 3/4 of the way up with magnesium shavings densely packed in and 'filled' with melted trioxane.

Are you saying that the Mg is dispersed in melted trioxane or that the cast trioxane is sitting above the dense packing of Mg?
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top