Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 5+ liter vacuum distillation
lancer3000
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-5-2013 at 20:54
5+ liter vacuum distillation

Good evening SM.

I had a couple questions and concerns regarding larger scale vacuum distillations. I would like to run through my plans and ask for a inspection on said topic.

Normally I have done vacuum distillations in the 1000 to 2000ml range. I would like to step it up to 5 Liters.

Plans:
1. Use a heating mantle/ stirrer combo all in one unit. There are some from China that are reasonable, but the questionable part is the stirrer function. I have had trouble stirring even the 2 liters with a stirplate/oil or sand bath. Going to 5L I am only imagining what a import mantle/stirrer could possible due.
2. At this scale, is introducing a gas inlet tube or capillary tube to induce a type of stirring more advisable, instead of the magnetic stir bar?
3. Is running a 5L RBF under vacuum a larger risk, due to the larger surface area/stress on the glass? Is a plexiglass shield necessary?
4. Is 24/40 joints still a suitable size?

I believe these are the main questions I have, but if anyone has tips on a vacuum distillation of this size then please let me know. I am quite experienced with vacuum distillations at the smaller scale, so general procedure is a no brainer, just scaling up brings a couple worries that may be easily quelled.

Thanks!
CaliusOptimus
Hazard to Self

Mood: Subjectively Objective

[*] posted on 5-5-2013 at 21:23

The answers to your questions depend entirely on what it is that you plan to distill.

What temp?
How much vacuum?
How viscous?
How likely to super heat?

Go To Top