Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  3    5
Author: Subject: Insensitive/Practical Recreational Explosives
Armistice19
Hazard to Self

Mood: Brain sponge activated!

[*] posted on 8-9-2013 at 09:07

Fourth attempt:

50 mL each nitric and sulfuric acids, in ice bath, kept below 20C the whole time. No lumps this time, well, just much less lumps i suppose. Final product is yellow, white, and brown. Looks terribly impure, I even boiled it in baking soda solution but it still looks like crap. It seems every time I use an ice bath I get terrible results. My second attempt was pure white, beautiful, fluffy, and fast burning. My first, third, and fourth attempts all seem to be sub par. I'm not sure what I did differently other than making a larger amount at once, and using an ice bath.

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.” -Albert Einstein
AJKOER
Radically Dubious

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-9-2013 at 15:10

A safe explosive, in my opinion, is one that isn't an explosive until two compounds react to form it.

For example, full a tin half by volume with NH4Cl and the rest NaNO2 and stir. Seal and toss into a fire.

Expected reactions:

NH4Cl --Heat--> NH3 + HCl

NaNO2 + HCl --> NaCl + HNO2

HNO2 + NH3 --> NH4NO2

and the impractical HE Ammonium nitrite is formed and most likely detonates.

This mix is actually a commercial explosive and is used to blast in mines.

[Edited on 10-9-2013 by AJKOER]
Dany
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-9-2013 at 15:28

Safe explosive can be monomolecular explosive. by following certain strategy during the synthesis of HEDM safe explosive can be produced. TATB is a famous example where the extensive intra-and intermolecular hydrogen bonding yield a dense and a thermal/shock stable explosive. TATB is the only explosive (to my knowledge) that is unable to undergo self-sustained deflagration even under heavy confinement.

The explosive that AJOKER is talking about is useless as explosive since ammonium nitrite is a weak unstable explosive compared to organic HEDM.

Dany.

[Edited on 10-9-2013 by Dany]
Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-9-2013 at 15:35

Can we say, ammonium picrate/styphnate or even urea picrate-poor man's TATB. I guess the real insensitivety will come if we mix ammonium picrate with TNT/DNT and melt cast it in the desired shape. What about trinitroanisole?
Dany
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-9-2013 at 15:44

Ral123,

TATB was given as an example. many other explosive (especially nitroheterocycles) can have reduced sensitivity and thermal stability. indeed, melt casting explosive is one of the strategy used to enhance stability and also the handling properties of explosive. The Octol series (HMX/TNT) is an example where TNT play the role of "solvent" for HMX to form a melt-castable explosive that has better handling and shock sensitivity than HMX alone. the creation of Plastic Bonded Explosive (PBX's) offer a new route for further enhancing of stability (e.g., PBX 9502).

Dany.
Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-9-2013 at 16:48

I've mixed once styrofoam, UN and acetone. I made a cylinder that was quite resiliant to impact. I wonder if that can be used for caseless, sensitised boosters. When the acetone evaporates, the ramaining thing keeps the volume and becomes something like PBX I guess.
Armistice19
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 14-9-2013 at 15:38

5th attempt

Mixture of 70mL of 98% Sulfuric and 30mL of 69% Nitric were mixed together in an ice bath. Result was a slow burning product that left a lot of black ash after burning.

“Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.” -Albert Einstein
Armistice19
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 26-9-2013 at 10:50

:cool: Utimate success has been achieved. Using 70ml cold nitric acid (69.5%) and 130ml cold sulfuric acid (98%) 4.6g cotton was added slowly to the mix, 1/2 cotton swab at a time, waiting 30 seconds in between each piece. An ice bath was also used and the final bit of cotton was allowed to nitrate for 30 minutes. Once complete the cotton was neutralized with saturated sodium bicarbonate, then boiled in a fresh batch of said solution, and rinsed with tap water, then boiled in distilled water. Pure white fluffy extremely fast burning product was the result after 48 hours of drying at room temperature.

[Edited on 27-9-2013 by Armistice19]

Pages:  1  ..  3    5

Go To Top