Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Orphaned Actinides
David Marx
Harmless

Mood: Intrigued

[*] posted on 20-8-2004 at 00:04
Orphaned Actinides

Does anyone know of a low cost source of actinide, and to a lesser extent, lanthanide chemicals?

I am interested in actinide coordination chemistry and am seeking high purity, laboratory grade chemicals. I am not interested in ores, crystals or the like. I have had some luck, in that I received some small amounts of various chemicals from associates who no longer had a use for them and were concerned with disposal.

I've been to the usual sites, Al-Chymist, eBay and LabX. Any leads would be appreciated!

[Edited on 20-8-2004 by David Marx]
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 20-8-2004 at 09:39

Did you try emailing an inquiry to the Al-Chymist? I once asked them about obtaining thorium nitrate. They could get it for me, but to make it worthwhile I needed to order a substantial quantity (fairly expensive) and this substantial quantity would have to be shipped to me by truck (even more expensive), presumably because thorium's too regulated to move in quantity by the usual couriers. I don't know if it's still the case, but a while back the Al-Chymist had quite a few more materials available than were listed on their website. You have to make an inquiry.

If you visit http://www.micronmetals.com you'll see that they have cerium, neodymium, and yttrium.

You can find thorium nitrate for sale <A HREF="http://www.labdepotinc.com/chemical_details~pid~T1044.aspx">at labdepotinc</A>, though the prices are higher than I'd like.

They also carry <A HREF="http://www.labdepotinc.com/chemical_details~pid~U1010.aspx">uranyl nitrate</A>, though the price is outrageous.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 20-8-2004 at 11:50

Be wary that possesion of such materials can now get you under suspicion of terrorism in certain *cough* countries, even if the materials are not suited or of enough quantity to cause any actual destruction. Sad, but true. Media...

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-8-2004 at 12:48

Re: Actinides: All of them except thorium-232 and uranium-238 (depleted uranium) are potentially dangerously radioactive in macro-quantities. All of them are also chemically highly toxic, especially the high-valence ones like U (up to (VI)), Np (up to VII), and Pu (up to VIII)), which owe their toxicity to forming tightly bonded complexes with vital biological molecules in which their high atomic weights reduce reactivity and help to prevent metabolic elimination. Pu is the most toxic of them.

BTW Pu is also strongly ferromagnetic, which would make it an ideal magnet material if it were not for its radioactivity and toxicity.

John W.
tantan
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-7-2005 at 14:21

Really? The only near-room-temperature ferromagnetic elements that I know of are Fe, Co, Ni, and Gd. I think some other lanthanides are also ferromagnetic but only at very low temperature. Can you point me to where I can find a reference on the ferromagnetic property of Pu or other actinides?
neutrino
International Hazard

Mood: oscillating

[*] posted on 28-7-2005 at 17:11

For uranium, look here:D

Go To Top