Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chlorine-induced degrading of sense of smell
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 6-6-2013 at 20:48
Chlorine-induced degrading of sense of smell

If chlorine gas in a 1-day exposure has reduced my sense of smell, how long will it take for it to come back? Can it be treated? I thought permanent smell loss is in workers that are exposed every day

[Edited on 7-6-2013 by Cou]

my youtube channel, organic chemistry videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0qzaRyHxLUOExwagKStYHw
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 6-6-2013 at 21:07

I've noticed an insensitivity to certain smells that I am routinely exposed to (carbonyl sulfide, for example). Is it just chlorine you can't smell, or everything? How much chlorine were you exposed to?

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-6-2013 at 21:20

It started when a small amount of chlorine leaked in my room and it burned my eyes, I got away from it quickly though... then later that day I did another experiment with chlorine, and realized while my dad could notice the pungent swimming pool smell from far away, I didn't smell anything... I also don't taste my food as strongly as before. Usually chlorine gas destroys your sense of smell if you are a factory worker exposed to it every day. Also I was born with a bad sense of smell too so my smell was always bad.

I sure hope this isn't permanent... on the bright side, I won't want to eat so much unhealthy food when it tastes like cardboard!

I read that chlorine can damage your olfactory cilia, and the only way to get them back is gene therapy, but it might also be lesions in the nose and that can be cured. Either way, even if it is permanent it won't get me down, I always had a bad sense of smell before the chlorine.

I notice, though, that when I walk in the town swimming pool, it smells really strongly of chloromine and toxic, but after a few minutes I don't smell it at all... so it could just be temporary desensitization. From now on I'm using one of those hazmat gas masks for my experiments though. Yes, I know I am a chemistry noob.

my youtube channel, organic chemistry videos: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0qzaRyHxLUOExwagKStYHw
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 6-6-2013 at 21:28

You'll probably be fine. You likely just have olfactory fatigue, not actual (long-term) olfactory damage. If it doesn't clear up in a few days, you might want to see a doctor. Just say you mixed bleach and drain cleaner, if you don't want to have to explain ;).

[Edited on 7-6-2013 by Cheddite Cheese]

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
Cou
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-6-2013 at 21:30

I just wanted to make sure that I won't spend the rest of my life eating food that tastes like cardboard :P. I'll tell them that I accidentally mixed bleach and ammonia while cleaning the bathroom, since chloromines can be just as bad

binaryclock
Hazard to Others

Mood: Organic

[*] posted on 6-6-2013 at 22:16

Cou, most of us are engineers, chemists, hobby level chemists, etc. Only your general practitioner (doctor of medicine) can really tell you what you want to know. Why not schedule an appointment and ask a doctor yourself?

When I was exposed to chlorine gas (minor) I went to my doctor and got the information straight from him. Not sure where you live, but going to the doctor is free in almost all of first world countries, including the USA now I think.. so it's really not a matter of $.. just make an appointment and you probably don't even need to tell your parents.

It is not really acceptable to ask medical advice on this forum as you are putting members in difficult positions. Sure everyone wants to tell you that you'll be okay, which you probably will, but nobody wants to give you bad advice. Your doctor is really your only real source of good information.

[Edited on 7-6-2013 by binaryclock]

Current Project: Playing with my new Laboy advanced distillery kit!
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 6-6-2013 at 23:32

medical care free here in the US??? naw I don't think so. but if I couldn't taste my food, I would pay a doctor to tell me about it regardless.

Edit, not trying to be argumentative here. I just know if I get hurt I pay for it.

[Edited on 7-6-2013 by violet sin]
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 6-6-2013 at 23:36

binaryclock +1

I will only say this: when I was about your age I once briefly exposed myself to a little more chlorine than was good for me (the wind suddenly shifted during an experiment outside). I coughed and my eyes were irritated. Similarly to your description, my sense of smell was deadened but it came back to what seemed normal to me over the course of 2 days or so. Ofcourse, it all depends on how much chlorine you were exposed to, how long, your sensitivity to it, etc, so your mileage may vary. As binaryclock says, go see a real doctor if you want a reliable diagnosis.

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
Finnnicus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-6-2013 at 23:45

Team Canada-Australia- manyothercountriesjustnotU.S. for free(ish) health care!

EDIT: Being unconstructive.
If you think it is serious in the slightest way, go see a doctor! Otherwise, don't freak out, you'll be fine.

Edit edit: Or, go look in a better place on the Internet than here. Online doctors or something.

[Edited on 7-6-2013 by Finnnicus]

Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 7-6-2013 at 05:32

I was lucky to watch Dr. Oz one day. :)
http://www.doctoroz.com/clinics

(Didn't Obama do something with the availability of primary medical care?)

Go To Top