Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: NitricSynth HE Salute
golfpro
Banned

Mood: Cap Sensitive

[*] posted on 7-6-2013 at 15:14
NitricSynth HE Salute

Who has ever made the digram on the 1o fingers club vid on youtube of the HE salute with the hand pressed ETN and the fuse wrapped in Al Foil? I was thinking of doing a few of these (1-3 grams) or a bit bigger one away from people, but I don't have Visco fuse, (I do, but it's 30 years old and doesn't burn hot enough) so I'd use some carmelized sugar/KNO3 strips smaller than a pencil in diameter, inside pressed ETN which is in the rocket motor tubes, would this likely detonate at full speed?

the vid is here around 1:12, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ux4SQQjOts

-I'd rather do the NPED one in the digramant to use aluminum tubing for it and it looks like I'd have to.

-I could just do a very small cap of HMTD pressed in an inch of rubber tubing, I made a few of these, but that is of course risky.

[Edited on 7-6-2013 by golfpro]
CaliusOptimus
Hazard to Self

Mood: Subjectively Objective

[*] posted on 7-6-2013 at 17:02

The NPED is touchy. The burn rate of the Si/KNO3 mix is critical, and the type of Al used can make a big difference. Probably about half will go high order. You might try adding something to the Si/KNO3 to slow the burn rate, it will keep the tube from melting if you use thin Al tubing. Fun to toy with, but don't expect an old fashioned pri/sec type of reliability.

[Edited on 8-6-2013 by CaliusOptimus]
golfpro
Banned

[*] posted on 7-6-2013 at 18:11

Thanks, I also like the one titled "NitricSynth Approved Peroxide Detonator" I could do that one in plastic tubing, but I don't have the flash powder to set off the 70/30 AN/HMTD. I think it is impossible to make an inorganic primary without ordering chemicals and/or having access to them that others don't have, for example silver acetylide or lead azide.
chemcam
Hazard to Others

Mood: I will be gone until mid-september, on a work contract.

[*] posted on 7-6-2013 at 18:33

You are right, you need special reagents to make the safer primaries but still they are pretty common and can be made easily with the right motivation.

What is the ideal primary you would like to experiment with? Azides are pretty much a no go for beginner unless you want to risk tearing apart an airbag. Mercury fulminate is an easy one if you have the Hg.

Synthesizing energetics requires research and patience, they don't grow on trees for a reason.

My YouTube Channel: ChemCamTV
IRC Channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 10-6-2013 at 05:21

Quote: Originally posted by CaliusOptimus  
The NPED is touchy. The burn rate of the Si/KNO3 mix is critical, and the type of Al used can make a big difference. Probably about half will go high order. You might try adding something to the Si/KNO3 to slow the burn rate, it will keep the tube from melting if you use thin Al tubing. Fun to toy with, but don't expect an old fashioned pri/sec type of reliability.

[Edited on 8-6-2013 by CaliusOptimus]

if you manage to keep the ''primary'' which is in this case an explosive train being a secondary completely dry there should be no problem of a rocket fuel initiating it
ive even heard about it being fully initiated by simple 2mm visco fuse (yes that would be complete luck and i agree on that) but using a rocket fuel or something alike would make it very very likely if its put properly together and very thin metal pieces (alike aluminium foil) is used to properly shockheat it all

of what ive heard as little as 0.5g shockheated etn was capable of fully initiating 62g ANSUAl not that it wouldnt work for even more

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
golfpro
Banned

[*] posted on 10-6-2013 at 06:04

I like those diagrams, too bad I don't have any silicon powder or aluminum powder, or I could easily do those NPED, watch the vid on youtube called 13g ETN, he made a cap replicating the digram of the NPED and thats what that was.
CaliusOptimus
Hazard to Self

Mood: Subjectively Objective

[*] posted on 10-6-2013 at 10:42

I've talked to the guy that made the 13g ETN vid. He made a lot of those, but was never able to get very good reliability. I've also talked to the guy that made the diagrams, and he claimed very high reliability. I'll bet if you really took the time to develop the design you could get something fairly reliable. But no, just following the diagram isn't going to get you there. Several have tried.
chemcam
Hazard to Others

Mood: I will be gone until mid-september, on a work contract.

[*] posted on 10-6-2013 at 14:47

Quote: Originally posted by golfpro  
I like those diagrams, too bad I don't have any silicon powder or aluminum powder, or I could easily do those NPED, watch the vid on youtube called 13g ETN, he made a cap replicating the digram of the NPED and thats what that was.

You can get silicon powder at some welding shops, I don't know what it is there for but I have seen it at two different places.

There is a legitimate guy on eBay that gives a good deal on German dark Aluminum powder, $25/lb @ 1-3μ and that includes shipping. He does discounts if you go above 3lbs. He also sells <1μ but it is much more expensive.

My YouTube Channel: ChemCamTV
IRC Channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 10-6-2013 at 16:30

Try rolling thunder pyrotechnics for GD aluminum. its like $16 IIRC, that was last year. just search it, I forgot the actual URL. Skylighter.com is also a good sourse of both Al and Silicone. A bit higher priced though. They sell good visco BP fuse as well. pretty much your one stop NPED shop...

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.

Go To Top