Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Want to open a science store
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 10-6-2013 at 10:50

I actually wanted to throw in my two cents in this discussion, but blogfast25 explained it well enough.

elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 10-6-2013 at 11:02

Well, there's always thieves - you can't be looking at everyone all the time. I'd suggest a locked cabinet and lists of what equipment was alloted to each member - if they lose it, charge them what you paid for it.

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
chemcam
Hazard to Others

Mood: I will be gone until mid-september, on a work contract.

[*] posted on 10-6-2013 at 11:08

Quote: Originally posted by Endimion17  
I actually wanted to throw in my two cents in this discussion, but blogfast25 explained it well enough.

I dont see how that helps this thread at all, what part are you even referring to? Some of what he said was based on misunderstanding and premature judgement.

Can you elaborate on which part you are agreeing with please.

Quote: Originally posted by elementcollector1  
Well, there's always thieves - you can't be looking at everyone all the time. I'd suggest a locked cabinet and lists of what equipment was alloted to each member - if they lose it, charge them what you paid for it.

I really don't think there would be enough people in there at once to get away with stealing but yes a locked cabinet with a check out sheet is a great idea. They can't take anything with them so nothing could get lost until they build trust then I could allow renting of materials with of course a contract.

[Edited on 6-10-2013 by chemcam]

My YouTube Channel: ChemCamTV
IRC Channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 10-6-2013 at 11:16

Quote: Originally posted by chemcam  
I dont see how that helps this thread at all, what part are you even referring to? Some of what he said was based on misunderstanding and premature judgement.

Can you elaborate on which part you are agreeing with please.

Certainly. This comment.
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=24574&...

InertGas
Harmless

Mood: Decompressed

[*] posted on 10-6-2013 at 11:24

Leaving aside all the other questions and concerns expressed earlier, I wonder just how far $100,000 will get you these days in the world of commerce.

I know from personal experience that, if your bank account rarely gets into the four-figure realm, $100,000 can seem like an absolute fortune (possibly especially so if you're 14). But I've also had the experience of having had the equivalent of a couple times that amount in British Pounds Sterling, and seeing it dwindle away very quickly when trying to set up a business.

YouTube's NurdRage recently tried to crowd fund a new laboratory independent of his workplace. He was looking for Canadian $250,000 just to make films of his procedures, the breakdown being:
Quote:

A new laboratory requires around $250k minimum in funding. This may seem excessive at first but it's largely because such a laboratory must be located on industrially zoned land. A basement lab in someone's home is technically not a legal use of residential land. And because we’ll be ordering significant quantities of dangerous chemicals we cannot simply hope law enforcement doesn’t notice.

The money will go toward:

•Obtaining necessary permits and licenses for industrial activities (chemical transport permits, toxic waste disposal permits, etc.)
•Purchasing an industrial unit on properly zoned land (by far the biggest cost)
•Obtain insurance for said industrial activities
•Modifying the existing structure with extra ventilation for additional safety
•Installation of fume hoods
•Modifying existing plumbing to accommodate a laboratory setting
•Modifying existing electrical system for laboratory use
•Laboratory equipment and machinery (weigh scales, glassware, magnetic stir plates, vacuum pumps, etc.)
•Laboratory chemicals
•Digital filmmaking equipment (lights, cameras, computers, etc.)

Possibly NurdRage's figures are completely out of line with reality, but he strikes me as a rational, sensible sort who seems to have some experience of commercial realities.
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 10-6-2013 at 12:26

Some of what he said was based on misunderstanding and premature judgement.

Please effoff, chemcam. You wrote something and I responded to it. It's a discussion forum. No misunderstanding here. Judgement? Here's a real judgement: you've got very long toes.

chemcam
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-6-2013 at 12:55

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

Please effoff, chemcam. You wrote something and I responded to it. It's a discussion forum. No misunderstanding here. Judgement? Here's a real judgement: you've got very long toes.

Let me see if I can reword this to get it through your thick skull, I briefly mentioned an idea, one half sentence and you respond with "Your ‘rent-a-lab’ idea is fraught with problems." I gave NO details on how it would be ran, not one single detail, until much, much later. That is the definition of premature judgement. You didn't stop to ask anything about further explanations before automatically shutting down the idea.

You listed that I cannot build this lab in the city, nowhere did I say I would put it there or did I even ask. You add things based on your imagination and try to fill in the blanks. This is neanderthal behavior, but I said you misunderstood to be nice.

You tell me to "eff off" because I called you out ever so slightly but this whole topic was not meant for discussion, only an idea for the member cou. Because of your comments telling me it would never work I went on to give more details. Had you effed-off before you spoke negatively towards my brief idea of a rent-a-lab this whole thread would be much shorter.

"you've got very long toes" what does that even mean?
Keep your foot fetish private. That is disgusting.

plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 10-6-2013 at 13:37

"you've got very long toes" what does that even mean?
Keep your foot fetish private. That is disgusting.

WTF.

I noticed that lately there is a lot of arguing on the board. It seams that many member insuld others for no much. I believe cou is the source of this, and I think we should stop taking thing too personally in cou's post.

[Edited on 10-6-2013 by plante1999]

I never asked for this.
chemcam
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-6-2013 at 14:24

Plante, you quote my post like I was the one insulting. That is incorrect, read through everything please. I was in defense mode not offense.
(I didn't want to make new post, ok plante I understand.)

But Yes, I have noticed it to. I try to keep my arguments civil and never have I STARTED an insult post but I admit if it is directed towards me I do take it personal. I will not post again in this thread since it has become heated so if someone does want to discuss the rent-a-lab you may u2u me.

I am sorry to the people who are upset about this thread. Just all be aware that I defend my ideas and posts. I am always open to discuss the problems of my ideas but do it with respect.

plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 10-6-2013 at 14:31

And by the way plante you highlight my post like I was the one insulting. That is incorrect, read through everything please. I was in defence mode not offence.

Generally, when I quote something, only the paragraph under it is related, the second paragraph is general remarks, or directed at someone else. In this case it was a general remark.

I never asked for this.
zenosx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Awaiting Results....

[*] posted on 10-6-2013 at 19:55

I did not read this entire post as it is just TLDR, but, if you are going to invest 100K in a business, and a chemical supply business at that, you need to look at an industrial standpoint. Putting that much money into a business to cater to the private science crowd will probably fail just because of simple supply vs. demand. Yes I am sure meth makers will love to hit you up for Red P and other such chems, but that will no sustain you as you will be shut down shortly by lawmakers.

The next question is can you compete in an industrial sector chemical supply business?

Long and short of it is, you have a LOT to think about here and 100k in the grand scheme of things as far as opening an industrial size chemical supply company is NOT a lot of money.

I personally know that the land of about 1 acre in my VERY small 4 stop-light town cost over 275,000 dollars. Just for the LAND, that did not include building costs or taxes or any other amount of money.

If you want to take your 100k and make money from it I highly recommend you see an accountant and others that know about these things or otherwise you will very quickly be broke and thinking what the %@# did I do with my inheritance......

Think hard and long about this PLEASE>....
\
Just an FYI. I received over 50,000 from my dead brothers life insurance. Just living on it and paying bills, getting out of debt, getting a used car and having a very little amount of spending money = NO money in my bank account. 100k isn't as much money as it used to be and it will disappear faster than light I promise you....

My Advice... INVEST 1/2 of it, do NOT TOUCH it for years and years... take the other half, get a nice savings account, do NOT buy arbitrary junk. Get a decent (and I mean decent not a BMW) car.Then find a reasonable way to try and stretch the money as far as it will go.

From personal experience, and living VERY frugal (and I mean ramen noodles frugle), 50k only lasted me 4 years....

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

Albert Einstein
zenosx
Hazard to Others

Mood: Awaiting Results....

[*] posted on 10-6-2013 at 19:59

FYI I just halfassed noticed the "rent-a-lab" postings.. In Oak Ridge TN where I live, you can in fact "rent a lab" with all of the amenities offered by any professional laboratory. I do not know the exact specifications of rental agreements but I have seen them advertised.

I would expect anyone with anything less than a doctorate and a good thesis to get lab space even paying the money however.....

A question that sometimes drives me hazy: am I or are the others crazy?

Albert Einstein
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-6-2013 at 03:53

Plante, you quote my post like I was the one insulting. That is incorrect, read through everything please. I was in defense mode not offense.
(I didn't want to make new post, ok plante I understand.)

You can come off your high horse now:

"Some of what he said was based on misunderstanding and premature judgement."

... was uncalled for. You floated an idea, I commented on it. If you don't want to be 'judged', then don't talk. I wasn't the only one who picked up on your idea.

Foot fetish? G-d, man, you're funny. 'Long toes' are easily stepped on. Geddit now?

chemcam
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-6-2013 at 09:58

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

Foot fetish? G-d, man, you're funny. 'Long toes' are easily stepped on. Geddit now?

Oh Haha, yes I understand now. For some reason I could not figure out what you meant for the life of me. I've just had a shitty few days, didn't mean to take it out on you.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top