Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Any reason this distillation apparatus wouldn't be functional?
Tao
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-6-2013 at 08:15
Any reason this distillation apparatus wouldn't be functional?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/500ml-Distillation-apparatus-Distill...

I have stands, clamps, etc. Would it be functional & sufficient, or is it a terrible idea to purchase this?
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 11-6-2013 at 08:17

Why wouldn't it be?
Tao
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-6-2013 at 08:19

Quote: Originally posted by Random  
Why wouldn't it be?

Good point. I just wanted to hear other people's wisdom on it, to assure I'm not missing anything. But why are other ones so expensive in comparison to this one? Even with the stand and clamp, there's still a significant difference. I notice it's shipping from China, that's likely the primary reason.
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 11-6-2013 at 08:23

The parts themselves are functional. You should be aware that these joints are the European sizes. Depending on where you live, you might prefer either the European or the US sizes.

However, in your situation I wouldn't buy that exact set. I'd prefer to buy used quality glass from renowned manufacturers, not random chinese ones; there's plenty of used Pyrex, Kimax, QuickFit etc. on eBay. Also, I would prefer a 75 degree distillation adapter with a joint instead of threads on the top so that you can add an addition funnel or something. Much more flexible.

Quote: Originally posted by Tao  
But why are other ones so expensive in comparison to this one? Even with the stand and clamp, there's still a significant difference. I notice it's shipping from China, that's likely the primary reason.

Quality, and to a large extent, brand names.

[Edited on 11-6-2013 by Lambda-Eyde]

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-6-2013 at 11:04

That kit looks functional. I am amazed at how cheap the Chinese stuff is, you can't buy a new US made 24/40 condenser for that price. I woudl agree that 24/49 joints are not as common, but most of that will work with 24/40 joints in the future, so it would make a fine starter kit. The main limitation with those kits is that they only provide two flasks, and that does not offer much flexibility, plus flasks break. So you may want to see if they have kits with more flasks. Also, be aware that even with borosilicate glass, you need to heat this glass gently, not with a hot propane torch or other strong flame, especially if distilling flammable liquids, as vapors can leak. There are other Chinese vendors which sell branded glass, like Laboy or Synthware, which may be worth the few additional dollars if you are buying Chinese glass, as branded foreign items are often better made.

My preference is for US made glassware, but it will cost more, so you may want to wait until you have done enough work to know better what you want before investing in a lot of that. I would view that kit as cheap enough to not be a big investment.
radagast
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-6-2013 at 11:16

That kit really is astoundingly inexpensive and should be fine for your standard distillations, so long as you're not distilling anything particularly hazardous.

I'm somewhat snobbish about glassware and typically try to get name-brand stuff, but for $60 including shipping, you don't lose much even if it sucks.

The seller's page also discloses the glassware's specs, which is pretty neat. I don't know enough to process whether those specs are sufficient, so maybe someone else can chime in on them.

Before ordering, though, I'd check with the seller on his or her policy on glassware damaged during shipment. I've ordered quite a bit of glassware from Laboy and other Chinese-based merchants, and have found that no matter how well the glassware is packed, one component will occasionally arrive in shards. I've never had a problem getting a replacement, but YMMV.
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 11-6-2013 at 11:32

I think its a good price for the setup but I would do a couple runs with water or salt water to be sure of the glass before distilling something more dangerous. Also look carefully at the lettering, if it is Pyrex be sure it does not say Pyrox, pay attention to the letter e to be sure its not an o. If it is Pyrox I would never use it with anything dangerous in case the glass breaks at the worst possible moment.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
gnitseretni
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-6-2013 at 18:18

There's a guy here who got injured due to cheap glassware. Yeah, OK, he was making energetics.. but still. Just something to think about.
Organikum
resurrected

Mood: busy and in love

[*] posted on 12-6-2013 at 06:20

Dr. Bob I always thought 24/29 is US size as in Europe, at least in Germany 29/32 is standard?

The damned ebay does not show me any items in the shop, I only saw the directly linked set but says zero items in the shop. I encoutered this often lately, ebay not showing you international items in special from china and hongkong, which are often much cheaper then whats listed.
Chinese and Hongkong stuff I get by logging in to ebay.co.uk - sometimes at least. Anybody knows a permanent workaround to get ALL items worldwide listed?

/ORG
Lambda-Eyde
National Hazard

Mood: Cleaved

[*] posted on 12-6-2013 at 08:12

Quote: Originally posted by Organikum  
Dr. Bob I always thought 24/29 is US size as in Europe, at least in Germany 29/32 is standard?

14/23, 19/26, 24/29, 29/32 etc. are European sizes.

14/20, 19/22, 24/40, 29/42 etc. are US sizes.

This just in: 95,5 % of the world population lives outside the USA
You should really listen to ABBA
Please drop by our IRC channel: #sciencemadness @ irc.efnet.org
Furboffle
Harmless

[*] posted on 21-6-2013 at 11:17

I bought this but I got the one with the vigreux column instead of the regular distillation adapter. It works great. the glass is a lot thicker than I was expecting for chinese garbage. its pretty good stuff.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

[*] posted on 21-6-2013 at 11:19

Thick glass isn't necessarily a good thing. It's more prone to cracking due to temperature differentials. Some of the best glassware is surprisingly thin.

Go To Top