Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Hello!
Leetage
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-6-2013 at 19:51
Hello!

First post, just wanted to introduce myself :)

Found out about this forum recently and it has been rather interesting!

Im currently doing a Bachelor of Science, for Pharmacology and Human Anatomy.

I was wondering what a chemistry degree is like? as in job oppurtunity wise, also how difficult is it?

been pondering if i should switch from human anatomy to chemistry
Variscite
Hazard to Self

Mood: diffusing

[*] posted on 12-6-2013 at 22:56

Hello there Leetage, nice to meet you and to have you on this forum!
I couldnt tell you what a degree in chemistry is like, since im only 15 but from what I have heard it can be very specialized and can get pretty decent pay based on what you're doing and whos hiring you, but it just depends. I dont know very much about chemistry careers, but im sure one of the older members would be happy to share some more in depth knowledge about that with you. I dont think chemistry is all very difficult, its can be hard but also very interesting learning about it but then again everyones different and I may have just found my niche in it.
Come over to the dark side (not really) we get to have fun messing with the building blocks of the universe :D!

Find me on Youtube at - Variscites-lab!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Varisciteslab
no videos yet, be some soon.
ScienceSquirrel
International Hazard
Thread Moved
13-6-2013 at 04:44
Leetage
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-6-2013 at 06:03

:)!

Hello Variscite!

just finished my Chemistry exam today and my god it was rather difficult

haha the dark side?
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

Mood: In research

[*] posted on 17-6-2013 at 07:28

Welcome to the forums :) I love it too, every one here is just all nerdy :D best forum ever.

Eddygp
National Hazard

Mood: Organometallic

[*] posted on 19-6-2013 at 05:35

Welcome to the forums. I hope you enjoy as much as I have done here.

there may be bugs in gfind

[ˌɛdidʒiˈpiː] IPA pronunciation for my Username
sargent1015
Hazard to Others

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 21-6-2013 at 18:26

Quote: Originally posted by Leetage  

I was wondering what a chemistry degree is like? as in job oppurtunity wise, also how difficult is it?

Alright let's tackle your main questions!

What is the Chemistry degree like: Well there is quite a lot of labs you will need to take (analytical, organic, inorganic, physical, some instrumentation), lots of math (Need to calculate them moles!), and plenty of exams. I personally love it. I stress and it is tough, but in the end it is all worth it because you are designing, creating, and discovering the future with the building blocks of matter.

Is a chemistry degree hard: That is entirely in the eye of the beholder. If you have a passion for science, it will feel less like a chore to do the homework and labs and more like puzzles (Hopefully you like puzzles). I HIGHLY recommend getting involved in some area of research, since school labs are... lackluster... and don't teach you how experimentation and research actually works. If you enjoy that environment, chemistry is definitely the field for you! Anyways, college is meant to challenge you, and most majors do just that.

Jobs: There are actually plenty of jobs available to the chemist with a BS alone, more power to you if you want to go further than that, but that is where the real money is and the ability to design your own experiments and move up the company ladder. As an important note, your job market looks much better than your peers' humanity degrees (Not bashing, just making an observation on job availability).

[edit] I should also point out that I was pre-med before getting into a lab, funny how fast I switched from that :D

[Edited on 22-6-2013 by sargent1015]

The Home Chemist Book web page and PDF. Help if you want to make Home Chemist history! http://www.bromicacid.com/bookprogress.htm

Go To Top