Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: condensers
bio2
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 23-7-2005 at 21:57

Not sure of the GPM but I use one of those bathtub pumps with the suction cups for water massage as a condenser circulator from a beer cooler tank.

Lifts the water about 5 feet and still produces adequate flow. At 2 foot lift it needs throttling a little.
ADP
Hazard to Others

Mood: Productive

[*] posted on 2-10-2005 at 07:19

Sorry to bump an old thread but what is the difference in performance of a west condenser and a liebig condenser. Which one would be more useful for let's say nitric acid distillation or something like that. Would there be a noticeble difference in performance?
Quince
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-10-2005 at 15:50

The West condenser has a larger heat exchange area due to the large diameter inner tube. It's what I use, and I like it better than the Liebig.

This has already been mentioned a couple of times on the forum.

[Edited on 2-10-2005 by Quince]

\"One of the surest signs of Conrad\'s genius is that women dislike his books.\" --George Orwell
chochu3
Hazard to Others

Mood: Inside looking out

[*] posted on 6-3-2006 at 20:54

To ADP:

The west condenser inner tube is thinner than a liebeg's inner tube and is the western standard of the distillation column which was to be improved over what the liebeg was and is used for. In other words the west condenser is supposed to be more effecient at cooling the distillate because of the thinner tube inside.

[Edited on 7-3-2006 by chochu3]

\"Abiding in the midst of ignorance, thinking themselves wise and learned, fools go aimlessly hither and thither, like blind led by the blind.\" - Katha Upanishad
Quince
National Hazard

[*] posted on 6-3-2006 at 21:37

What the...
Yes, the glass is somewhat thinner, but the larger diameter of the inner tube is the main factor, increasing heat exchange area. Which is, what I posted, and has been said a bunch of times over the forum. Why the hell did you wake such an ancient thread?

\"One of the surest signs of Conrad\'s genius is that women dislike his books.\" --George Orwell
chochu3
Hazard to Others

Mood: Inside looking out

[*] posted on 7-3-2006 at 16:48

WTF because its a old thread I can't put my own input or what. Do you think you own where, when, or how I can post. In that case then your a punk bitch and your just another punk in my book. I didn't say you were wrong but it also depends on the inner surface being thinner too. Or maybe your upset cause you assume I think the west condenser is more effecient than liebeg's condenser and you assume I'm being bias. In that case I'm sorry I made western created things look better than the old stuff made in the old world. Now you can reply to this message and say whatever you want or must but I could care less cause your not my mother or father to tell me what I can and can't do and another thing you'll just contribute another useless post which doesn't help in the spread of information. I rest my case.

As I said to somebody who wasn't you, it also helps with the tube being more thinner and also whatever somebody who is you said also holds true.

I apoligize if I have offended anybody; I've been here since the summer of 2003 and being visisting this board since. This is a great forum and this will be the last time I ever post a reply as the one above.

[Edited on 8-3-2006 by chochu3]

\"Abiding in the midst of ignorance, thinking themselves wise and learned, fools go aimlessly hither and thither, like blind led by the blind.\" - Katha Upanishad
Quince
National Hazard

[*] posted on 9-3-2006 at 14:41

Use an aquarium pump. You can get a 200 GPH powerhead for under $20.

Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 27-6-2012 at 10:30

Has anyone of you ever encountered a Femel condenser? Stupid Google won't even let me search for it because it constantly thinks I'm looking for a "female" one and thinks it's knows what I want better than myself.

Here's a sketch from one catalogue.

I've seen it in one old teacher's laboratory manual where it's used for just about anything, instead of a Liebig condenser. It doesn't seem to be very effficient and it looks kind of stupid to me.

(BTW, I've been reading the posts here and I agree with Organikum about the so called "West condenser". It's nothing but a slightly modified Liebig condenser. The name "West" is unknown outside English speaking countries, that's one of the clues. The whole world calls it a Liebig condenser.)

Diablo
Hazard to Others

Mood: Autodidactic

[*] posted on 27-6-2012 at 11:04

Google will let you search for it if you click "search instead for femel condenser"
It looks a lot like a modified version of a retort.

Capture.PNG - 6kB

Endimion17
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-6-2012 at 11:15

No, it doesn't let me do anything. It probably has something to do with our different locations.
Showing results for "female condenser"
No results found for "femel condenser"

Oh, silly Google. :)

I wouldn't say this is similar to a retort. The pear-shaped part is the condensing vessel, not the evaporating part.
It's like a double walled pear, pierced at one spot, connected to the right tube. The space between the walls is where the coolant flows.

The leftmost part is the connector for the receiving flask, and I assume it's connected to it with a wide rubber band, as it appeared in that old manual... A weird setup, indeed.

watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-6-2012 at 05:06

Quote: Originally posted by Endimion17  
Has anyone of you ever encountered a Femel condenser?
Likely named for Jean Fernel, the 16th c. polymath who coined the terms "physiology" and "pathology", and the author of the first serious treatment of physiology (in the West) after Galen.

The shape of the condenser fits Fernel's chronology. It's shaped like a traditional still head known as a "pelican", whence images of pelicans in contemporaneous alchemical-allegorical images. The difference between this condenser and the pelican is the water-jacket sheath. If this is right, then Fernel would be the inventor of water-jacketed cooling, in addition to his other achievements.
Endimion17
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-6-2012 at 07:49

Could it be that m in "Femel" is actually rn? I can totally see how such an error could've be generated because of a bad printing job. I have no idea where to look for such obscure information. Old book section in a huge university library?

One thing I don't understand. Why the hell would this condenser be used in a laboratory manual printed after the WW2? If it's really Fernel's condenser, it's totally absolete. Liebig condensers were already common even during the 19th century...
I'll scan it as soon as I can.

The plot thickens. :D

99chemicals
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-6-2012 at 08:06

This is kind of irreverent but could you use a Graham condenser horizontally? Would the gasses push the condensate up the bends? and kind of start a siphon?

Do you have mole problems? If so, call Avogadro at 602-1023

My Youtube Channel
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 28-6-2012 at 08:11

I'm certain that this has been discussed somewhere before, 99chemicals....and the answer is 'it depends'.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
Funkerman23
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-6-2012 at 08:32

This is just my opinion..so I may well be another noise source. But with all the questions regarding what condenser if best for what, why not have a sticky posted on the subject? or at least a sticky with a thread directory for these kinds of FAQ's? I know I have asked questions more than a fair few times looking for a proper"ether Condenser". Vogel's is a great reference but it does sometimes fall short.The Site's search engine isn't stellar either but I digress.
99chemicals
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-6-2012 at 08:48

Quote: Originally posted by Hexavalent  
I'm certain that this has been discussed somewhere before, 99chemicals....and the answer is 'it depends'.

Can someone elaborate?

Do you have mole problems? If so, call Avogadro at 602-1023

My Youtube Channel
Endimion17
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-6-2012 at 10:37

Liquid inside a spiral cooler increases pressure inside the distillation flask, leading to increased temperature. That might pose a problem if the thing inside it is prone to thermal decomposition at elevated temperature.

Also, it might lead to more bumping. The condensed liquid squirts out, making the pressure inside the flask go up and down, which leads to violent boiling. You don't want that with things like ether.

Spiral coolers are meant to be positioned vertically or at a steep angle. They're not suitable for refluxing because they choke easily. I don't see why would anyone want to buy a spiral cooler unless they're doing something special. Yeah, it looks cool, but it's expensive and when you get it, it isn't that awesome. Liebig is enough for the majority of applications.

Liebig cooler, Vigreux column, air cooler (empty Liebig can be used instead). That's pretty much all you need.

bahamuth
Hazard to Others

Mood: Under stimulated

[*] posted on 28-6-2012 at 11:43

Has anyone of you ever encountered a Femel condenser? Stupid Google won't even let me search for it because it constantly thinks I'm looking for a "female" one and thinks it's knows what I want better than myself.

Here's a sketch from one catalogue.

I've seen it in one old teacher's laboratory manual where it's used for just about anything, instead of a Liebig condenser. It doesn't seem to be very effficient and it looks kind of stupid to me.

(BTW, I've been reading the posts here and I agree with Organikum about the so called "West condenser". It's nothing but a slightly modified Liebig condenser. The name "West" is unknown outside English speaking countries, that's one of the clues. The whole world calls it a Liebig condenser.)

Search phrase "Alambique de FEMEL" gives many hits.

One site mentioned that the distillation of Tetra (Carbon tetrachloride) as it's main purpose, and why so I have no idea..

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
Endimion17
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-6-2012 at 13:40

Holy crap, that's it. I think this is the first time I'm seeing a real photograph of it. Thanks, bahamuth.

Yes, alembic was one of the first things that came up my mind while looking at the manual years ago... They're very similar. Now why would someone want to use this thing? It's so old and doesn't look very efficient.

Once again, thanks. Great find.

[Edited on 28-6-2012 by Endimion17]

watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-6-2012 at 06:20

Quote: Originally posted by bahamuth  
Indeed it does, and they seem to be all in Portuguese. Proper names that are as old as this one is to my eye did not have canonical spelling until more recent times. This one, in particular, as Portuguese, strikes me as deriving from the era of Moorish Spain, when Arab science flourished.

In any case, my other hypothesis is that the name is Nicholas Flamel, a more likely candidate, since he had quite the reputation as an alchemist. Searching for "Flamel's alembic", amusingly comes up with a ton of reference's to Hugo's The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I don't know if it would have been invented by him or merely named after him later; modern practices of authorship assignment were not present in Flamel's time.
Mildronate
Hazard to Others

Mood: Ruido sintetico

[*] posted on 30-6-2012 at 05:15

Quote: Originally posted by watson.fawkes  
Quote: Originally posted by bahamuth  
Indeed it does, and they seem to be all in Portuguese. Proper names that are as old as this one is to my eye did not have canonical spelling until more recent times. This one, in particular, as Portuguese, strikes me as deriving from the era of Moorish Spain, when Arab science flourished.

In any case, my other hypothesis is that the name is Nicholas Flamel, a more likely candidate, since he had quite the reputation as an alchemist. Searching for "Flamel's alembic", amusingly comes up with a ton of reference's to Hugo's The Hunchback of Notre Dame. I don't know if it would have been invented by him or merely named after him later; modern practices of authorship assignment were not present in Flamel's time.

If Flamel invented this cooler, it was before Liebig cooler
Endimion17
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-7-2012 at 13:56

I don't own an air condenser with a ground glass joint, so I was thinking of using Liebig condenser instead, without the water. The problem is that its jacket makes it useless, as the heat accumulates inside. Air is an excelent thermal insulator. The condensing ring would soon leave the condenser and fumes would start exiting the distillation apparatus.

What if I blow air through it, using an electric pump or just a large baloon with a stopcock? That seems like a fairly safe and efficient alternative, but hey, everyone can make mistakes. Or I could just fill the jacket with water and plug the lower part.
Does anyone have any experience with such non-conventional setups?

[Edited on 5-7-2012 by Endimion17]

Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-7-2012 at 15:08

how about water at room temp?

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
Endimion17
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-7-2012 at 02:54

You mean circulating the room temperature water? I don't have a pump. I could buy it, but then I could buy an air condenser, too. :)

watson.fawkes
International Hazard

[*] posted on 6-7-2012 at 05:40

What if I blow air through it, using an electric pump or just a large baloon with a stopcock?
It should work just fine. Just beware that air isn't a particularly good heat transfer medium, so the condensation rate won't be all that high. Water is much better for transferring heat. If you've already got an aquarium air pump, try it. I doubt a balloon will do much; there's not enough air mass to move much heat.

You might want to make a shakedown run. If you've got a variable heat source (say, variac + mantle), put a solvent of interest (say, water) and put it under reflux using the air condenser. Above the open top, put a watch glass with some ice; this acts as a vapor detector. Now turn up the heat under your boiling flask until you get vapor condensing on the watch glass. That heat setting has now overtaxed your condenser. Run your reaction of interest with this capacity limit in mind.
 Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top