Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Trace amounts of mercury
nimbus8
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-6-2013 at 10:02
Trace amounts of mercury

Hey everyone, i got a condenser in the mail today and inside of it was a cardboard tube with a broken mercury thermometer inside of it. There was no visible mercury in the condenser. The condenser was properly cleaned with water, the issue is the condenser is intended to help make perfume which is intended for the skin. Is it possible there are trace/dangerous amounts of mercury left in the condenser?
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 25-6-2013 at 10:16

That is.... unlucky. Personally if I was to use something out of that topically I would probably bury it in sulfur before.
nimbus8
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 25-6-2013 at 10:45

Thats what im likely going to do, i ordered a few pounds of sulfur. Sulfur completely neutralizes it correct?
Variscite
Hazard to Self

Mood: diffusing

[*] posted on 25-6-2013 at 11:08

It makes insoluble HgS, id say dust it with sulfur, and just clean it very well and you will most likely be fine.

Find me on Youtube at - Variscites-lab!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Varisciteslab
no videos yet, be some soon.
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 25-6-2013 at 14:30

Mercury is actually much more poisonous if the fumes are inhaled than by skin contact.
nimbus8
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 25-6-2013 at 14:34

Yeah ive had a headache ever since i opened the box.
Variscite
Hazard to Self

Mood: diffusing

[*] posted on 25-6-2013 at 15:13

Mercury poisoning symptoms would not manifest in a matter of hours, it would most likely take months for symptoms to take after exposure. I honestly dont think opening the box would expose you to sufficient mercury vapor to harm you, as it is really more of a cumulative poison. I think the chemo-phobia hype nowadays over mercury is crazy. Im even pretty sure some of the older members on this board can recall playing with elemental mercury as a child or teen.
How did you handle/store/dispose of the broken elemental Hg?

Find me on Youtube at - Variscites-lab!
http://www.youtube.com/user/Varisciteslab
no videos yet, be some soon.
nimbus8
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 25-6-2013 at 15:23

I have it and all of the shitty glassware sitting outside in a sealed box with a trashbag around it. Im not even sure if it was the mercury i had a reaction to. But i definitely had a reaction, i haven't had a headache for like 5 years and within an hour of opening that box it was shipped in ive had a splitting headache for 2 days.

And i apologize for being ignorant about how this chemical reacts with the body, whenever i try to research it i get a bunch of chemo phobic hippie bs.

[Edited on 25-6-2013 by nimbus8]
Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 25-6-2013 at 15:34

Quote: Originally posted by nimbus8  
I have it and all of the shitty glassware sitting outside in a sealed box with a trashbag around it. Im not even sure if it was the mercury i had a reaction to. But i definitely had a reaction, i haven't had a headache for like 5 years and within an hour of opening that box it was shipped in ive had a splitting headache for 2 days.

And i apologize for being ignorant about how this chemical reacts with the body, whenever i try to research it i get a bunch of chemo phobic hippie bs.

[Edited on 25-6-2013 by nimbus8]

There is actually known acute and chornic poisoning separately from mercury IIRC. Acute is more possible with its salts but fumes could maybe do something too.

[Edited on 25-6-2013 by Random]
nimbus8
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 25-6-2013 at 15:43

Well it was shipped in a sealed box for about a week in a half in 90 degree weather so....
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 25-6-2013 at 19:22

Organic nitrates are more likely to give you a headache like that..?

As an aside, one probably should not practice chemistry if one is a hypochondriac.

Besides a rub with sulfur, I'd guess a wash with nitric acid (let's say, diluted to 20% so it's not simply outrageous) would take off any residues, liquid, adsorbed vapor, or solid, not just of mercury but any other compounds as well. The acid then contains whatever was on the surface, but really.. if there weren't beads of mercury rolling around to begin with, there just ain't any way there's much still there.

I suppose if you're really paranoid, you could give it all a bath in some nasty brew (chromic/sulfuric acid, Caro's acid, Fenton's reagent, etc.). That pretty much guarantees there's glass on the surface and... not much else.

Tim

[Edited on 6-26-2013 by 12AX7]

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger

Go To Top