Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Anhydrous perchloric acid ?
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

Mood: In research

[*] posted on 29-6-2013 at 00:20
Anhydrous perchloric acid ?

How do i make anhydrous perchloric acid ?

I have ammonium, lithium perchlorate. I will get Sodium perchlorate soon.

And i guess NaClO4 + HCl = HClO4 + NaCl ?

does NH4ClO4 + HCl = HClO4 + NH4Cl ?

Does LiClO4 + HCl = HClO4 + LiCl ?

ok so, I know i cant find pure HCl since it boils at -80 degree, I am able to make anhydrous H2SO4.

by getting liquid SO3 distilated from decomposition of a sulfate salt + H2O 1:1 by mole.

Does 2 NaClO4 + H2SO4 = 2 HClO4 + Na2SO4 ?

or 2 NH4ClO4 + H2SO4 = 2 HClO4 + (NH4)2SO4 ?

So are those steps possible to get HClO4 ? i will have a fume hood very soon so ill do all those inside them, and i will be protected by mask glove glass and stuffs, so dont worry :)

[Edited on 29-6-2013 by DubaiAmateurRocketry]

hyfalcon
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 29-6-2013 at 01:35

You don't want to make anhydrous perchloric acid. Anything over 70-72% will blow up in your face.
Finnnicus
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 29-6-2013 at 05:59

You did start a thread about Ti(ClO4)4. Later on, you can find alot of warnings about perchloric acid. Follow these.

As for the chemistry-
Making HClO4 from the salts is done with sulfuric acid. See this kewl as thread for the SM reference. (Thanks Woelen!)
Bubbling SO3 through the solution will help if your acid is not truly anhydrous.

Please correct me!

Endimion17
International Hazard

Mood: speeding through time at the rate of 1 second per second

[*] posted on 29-6-2013 at 06:18

Anhydrous perchlorid acid? ROFL, don't even try it.

DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-6-2013 at 06:20

Quote: Originally posted by Finnnicus  
You did start a thread about Ti(ClO4)4. Later on, you can find alot of warnings about perchloric acid. Follow these.

As for the chemistry-
Making HClO4 from the salts is done with sulfuric acid. See this kewl as thread for the SM reference. (Thanks Woelen!)
Bubbling SO3 through the solution will help if your acid is not truly anhydrous.

Please correct me!

I put water into SO3, not SO3 into water. I can get SO3 gas from decomposing something and i can condense it easily.

I need anhydrous perchloric acid, to make titanium IV perchlorate, i can obtain Titanium IV chloride very cheap and easily so i really really want to make it

sargent1015
Hazard to Others

Mood: Relaxed

[*] posted on 29-6-2013 at 07:19

Are you just like, not reading the posts? :o Anhydrous HClO4 is dangerous!

The Home Chemist Book web page and PDF. Help if you want to make Home Chemist history! http://www.bromicacid.com/bookprogress.htm
Endimion17
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-6-2013 at 07:22

Quote: Originally posted by DubaiAmateurRocketry  
I put water into SO3, not SO3 into water. I can get SO3 gas from decomposing something and i can condense it easily.

I need anhydrous perchloric acid, to make titanium IV perchlorate, i can obtain Titanium IV chloride very cheap and easily so i really really want to make it

Say again, how come you're still alive? :D

Dude, anhydrous HClO<sub>4</sub> is prone to detonation. Do you have any idea what you're trying to accomplish here? I guess you don't.

And what's this shit about mixing sulphur(IV) oxide with water? It detonates upon contact with it. That's why it's mixed with concentrated sulphuric acid to make oleum, which is then dilluted.

BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 29-6-2013 at 07:50

You can make it from nitric acid and ammonium perchlorate. You will find references if you look long enough. You basically mix the reagents and continue to boil them while replenishing the nitric acid. In this way the concentrated perchloric acid formed oxidizes the NH4+ to various nitrogen oxides. Although the gas generation is profoundly unsafe it still might be better than distillation. Of course at best you will get azeotropic acid out of that. From there you need phosphorous pentoxide (IIRC).

Of note, you mention hydrochloric acid boiling at -80C. Surely you meant hydrogen chloride. Hydrogen chloride does not become hydrochloric acid until it is dissolved in water which tames it considerably and substantially increases the boiling point.

You can also try to dissolve sodium perchlorate in hydrochloric acid then gas out the sodium chloride with gaseous hydrogen chloride.

Edit: In a moment of insanity I thought that the first reaction mentioned used hydrochloric acid instead of nitric acid as it is usually done.

[Edited on 6/29/2013 by BromicAcid]

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 29-6-2013 at 10:39

As mentioned here above, making anhydrous perchloric acid, just for the goal of making rocket fuel is insane. Anhydrous perchloric acid is extremely dangerous and if you go on, mixing KClO4, NaClO4 or whatever xxxClO4, then you soon will loose some limbs or more! Do not do that! Anhydrous HClO4 cannot be kept around for more than a few weeks. When stored in the cold (e.g. a fridge) it usually explodes after appr. one month of storage. If your bottle is not perfectly clean or is not stored in a cool place, then explosion occurs earlier.

It also can explode on contact with dust from the air, stuff like plastic, wood, rubber, grease. Contact of anhydrous HClO4 with the reducing agent DubaiAmateurRocketry also leads to immediate explosion (and yes, I mean this, this is not a joke!).

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 29-6-2013 at 11:02

this might be something you want to take a look at
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_lgZVTyLzA
the author im sure will not mind
it was explained that HClO3 when it goes past around 30% conc. it goes into HClO4, and this was ANHYDROUS HClO4

the explosion was created by adding paper
now think for a second how this would turn out with magnesium

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-6-2013 at 11:04

Ok i know its dangerous, I am making around 20 grams only, and inside a fume hood.

and im adding titanium IV perchlorate at negative 10 degree. so its ok. Im making T IV P

hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-6-2013 at 11:24

What's the name of the local newspaper so when you stop posting we can check of whether you managed to launch yourself into orbit without a vehicle.

Guys, just back off and let Darwin do his job. If he's hell bent on committing suicide then we've warned him of the danger.

[Edited on 29-6-2013 by hyfalcon]

[Edited on 29-6-2013 by hyfalcon]
Endimion17
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-6-2013 at 11:53

Next project, nitrogen trichloride. Ten grams, at most. :D

AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 29-6-2013 at 12:11

LiClO4 would make a slightly better rocket fuel oxidizer than NH4ClO4. The reason it is not used is because lithium salts are actually fairly expensive, particularly in bulk. Anhydrous HClO4 cannot be used in rockets. It is too unstable and would detonate.
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-6-2013 at 13:23

Quote: Originally posted by AndersHoveland  
The reason it is not used is because lithium salts are actually fairly expensive, particularly in bulk.

Lithium salts are not used as rocket fuels, because they are highly hygroscopic, they do not have a really high price...

Anyone interested in buying 150kg of lithium-chloride? We got a barrel of it and it is useless for us... It hardened a bit, because of a little water absorbed from the air, but it's still good as a table, or as a water absorber, just place it in the corner and it will leave no humidity in the room in no time.

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."
phlogiston
International Hazard

Mood: pyrophoric

[*] posted on 29-6-2013 at 16:15

Ok i know its dangerous, I am making around 20 grams only, and inside a fume hood.

and im adding titanium IV perchlorate at negative 10 degree. so its ok. Im making T IV P

I'll drive on the highway 200 km/hr wrong way, but I'll only do it for half an hour, and I'll use a safety belt. so its ok.

I can only hope that you have no access to the required chemicals untill you learned a bit more. Otherwise, rest in peace my friend.

-----
"If a rocket goes up, who cares where it comes down, that's not my concern said Wernher von Braun" - Tom Lehrer
Endimion17
International Hazard

[*] posted on 30-6-2013 at 03:02

You mean - rest in pieces? :D

Perhaps he's just trolling us?

testimento
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-6-2013 at 12:58

I was going to make ammonium perchlorate by first making a pile of sodium perchlorate and then solve it in water, bubble hcl to remove chlorates and then bubble hcl to get perchloric acid solution and remove salts and then bubble ammonia gas to get ammonium perchlorate. Highest concentration Im gonna use perchloric acid is 70% azeotrope, should this be considered very dangerous?
AndersHoveland
Hazard to Other Members, due to repeated speculation and posting of untested highly dangerous procedures!

[*] posted on 30-6-2013 at 13:17

70% perchloric acid is more dilute than you may think. This concentration is by weight, not by molar proportions. The hydrogen have barely any mass, while the chlorine atom has twice the mass of an oxygen. 70% perchloric acid would have lower performance than NH4ClO4.
madscientist
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-6-2013 at 18:16

Quote:

20 grams is enough to kill you, and the fume hood will offer you no protection - the sash will turn into shrapnel and only make your wounds more gruesome. Be sure you warn your labmates, so the innocent may live to see another day.

I weep at the sight of flaming acetic anhydride.
woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 30-6-2013 at 22:50

With highly explosive materials even 1 gram may seriously hurt you. Commercial firework crackers may not have more than 50 mg of flash powder in them and if you keep such a thing in your hand while it explodes, then it feels like someone hits you with a hammer on the fingers. Imagine what happens if 1 gram of an even more powerful compound detonates! With 20 grams detonating in the fume hood in front of you, there will be a highly gory view for the others who have to clean up the mess.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
madscientist
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-7-2013 at 02:18

Woelen speaks the truth.

With quantities like 20g, I wouldn't even trust a blast shield to provide adequate protection. Detonations have a remarkable ability to disintegrate nearly everything, and to turn that which does not into projectiles traveling at hundreds or thousands of meters per second.

Quote: Originally posted by AndersHoveland  
LiClO4 would make a slightly better rocket fuel oxidizer than NH4ClO4. The reason it is not used is because lithium salts are actually fairly expensive, particularly in bulk. Anhydrous HClO4 cannot be used in rockets. It is too unstable and would detonate.

I suppose this is also why Timothy McVeigh chose to use NH<sub>4</sub>NO<sub>3</sub> instead of LiNO<sub>3</sub>? :D

I weep at the sight of flaming acetic anhydride.
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-7-2013 at 10:49

Well i have a fume hood, ok i got it i know its very dangerous in first place, well any easier way to Ti(ClO4)4 ?

I am guessing LiClO4 adding in TiCl ? will that work ? or LiClO4 dissolved in a xxxx solvent that will not react with TiCl ?

Or NaClO4 ?

Random
International Hazard

Mood: Energetic

[*] posted on 2-7-2013 at 10:54

The following is an extract from the C.R.C. Handbook of Chemical Safety *
“Considerable interest has been taken in the explosive hazards to be encountered in the use of
perchloric acid since a mixture of perchloric acid and acetic acid exploded in a Los Angeles
factory in 1947, killing 15, injuring 400, and causing $2 million damage. On a smaller scale,
Robinson reported a detonation of 3g of a perchlorate salt of a rhodium-polyamine complex
undergoing an evaporation step in a rotary evaporator. A violent explosion destroyed the
evaporator, smashed a lab jack, cracked the benc
h top and chipped walls over 15 feet away.
Fortunately, this happened in an empty laboratory
."

[Edited on 2-7-2013 by Random]
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-7-2013 at 10:55

So, can someone help me predict if there is ion exchange between

TiCl4 and , LiClO4, NaClO4, or NH4ClO4 ? Doing it in ethanol since it can dissolve most of the above.

If there is, i can make titanium IV perchlorate... my dream salt !

[Edited on 2-7-2013 by DubaiAmateurRocketry]

Pages:  1  

Go To Top