Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Runge Pictures for Children
BJ68
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 2-7-2013 at 23:49
Runge Pictures for Children

The chemist Friedlieb Ferdinand Runge used some kind of paper chromatography for developing some chemical pictures. He published his work in a book called "Der Bildungstrieb der Stoffe: veranschaulicht in selbstständig gewachsenen Bildern".
More at the historic background can you read at the posting of Uranylacetat "Runge-Bilder – Bilder, die sich selber malen" http://www.versuchschemie.de/topic,15639.html (in German).

Runge used for his work potassium chromate and potassium dichromate, which are obsolete for children due to the carcinogenic properties.

So for children there has to be found a alternative way which is from the oncologic and toxicologic view without any doubts.

There is a book (in German) which is called "Bilder, die sich selber malen" (Günther Harsch/Heinz H. Bussemas) . It describes "Runge Bilder" made with food color and more or less harmless chemicals.

1. Chemicals:

All solutions in water.

From left to right:

3% Copper(II)sulfate
10% Ammonium dihydrogen phosphate
Sodium chloride solution (tip of a spatula in water)
3% Potassium ferricyanide

2. The food dyes:

From left to right:

Solution of 0.1 g in 10 ml of water.

-Rhodamin 6G
-Ponceau 4R
-Erioglaucine
-Erythrosine B
-Lissamine Green B
-Brilliant Green
-Tartrazine

3. Procedure:

A piece of filter- or chromatography paper is soaked in 3% Copper(II)sulfate-Solution and dried over night.

This treated paper is placed on a beaker (or something else) in a manner that the middle of the paper is free.

To make a Runge Picture the solutions are added drop by drop at the middle of the paper.

Here I put 200µl of Ammonium dihydrogen phosphate in the center:

After a while (the drop or drops have to disappear) the picture is develop through addition of further dyes and solutions.

Addition of 150 µl Ponceau 4R followed with 150 µl Tartrazine:

During waiting time the spreading of the colors will be visible:

150 µl Potassium ferricyanide followed by 150 µl Brilliant Green solution:

and at last for further development 200µl of the Ammonium dihydrogen phosphate solution again:

Other tries, before:

Conclusion: Very easy method for producing nice pictures. The only drawback what I see is, that between the single colors, there has to be a waiting time. That means that the children have to be patient, which will be difficult for some kids.
On the other hand, playing with colors, trying new combinations is fascinating and invites to further discoveries.

There would be the possibility to use further chemicals (if they are suitable for children or better for the age of the kids) like

- Oxalic acid
- Mangan(II)sulfate
- Ammonia
- Aluminium(III)chloride
- KOH
- Iron(II)sulfate
- Zinc(II)sulfat
- Sodium sulfate

and so on....

Bj68
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 3-7-2013 at 08:54

Quote: Originally posted by BJ68  

-Rhodamin 6G
-Ponceau 4R
-Erioglaucine
-Erythrosine B
-Lissamine Green B
-Brilliant Green
-Tartrazine

I think many of these dyes could be made at home. It would take some time and effort, of course. But would be fun.

Quote: Originally posted by BJ68  

The only drawback what I see is, that between the single colors, there has to be a waiting time. That means that the children have to be patient, which will be difficult for some kids.
Bj68

Learning to wait and to be patient is a valuable skill. People have come to expect results at the click of a mouse. Chemistry seldom works that way.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
DOV
Harmless

[*] posted on 25-3-2019 at 01:35
runge's images

Hello,
I'm new to this blog. I am an Paris' based artist. I would like to remake all the Runge's chromatographies in his book "Der Bildungstrieb Der Stoffe". I've met Heinz Bussemas in Dusseldorf without succeeding in our common project. The idea will be to organise a show in Paris with all the set..
It would be so great if we could find a way to collaborate together!!!
Please dont hesitate to tell me what you think!! Greetings from Paris!
Dove

Go To Top