Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  25    27    29  ..  38
Author: Subject: Bad days in the lab or with glassware?
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 19:38

Quote: Originally posted by Zyklon-A  
lolwat^^^!

I had to google that..Quote:
"Synonymous to lolwhat, implies disbelief to the point of absurdity, where even something that actually happened cannot be believed"

That's what they said to the apple guy!

F' him too!!!!!!! :D

This forum alone can change the known universe.

You all know about the Quantum Computer, and Bloom cells right?

Don't make me site these.

A binary digit can be BOTH at the same time. It's been done.

A fuel cell can make energy one atom at a time. GOOGLE sells power to California.

Black holes are dark suckers.

Bite me!

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
Etaoin Shrdlu
National Hazard

Mood: Insufferable

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 19:42

BOTH? Both what?!? Don't leave us in suspense here.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 19:55

Give me a second and I will find ti.

It's the same conversation I had w/ BlogFast...

They are near A zero. That makes Quantum physics come into play w/ computers.

A single binary digit that we know, now becomes free thought, to the point of Artificial Intelligence making up it's own mind.

I've been posting long enough on varied forums to be able to point out the AI posters.

You all know how CAPTCHA works, right?

The guy was paying people to figure out scrambled or warped computer scans.

NOW WE ALL FIGURE THEM OUT FOR FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Captcha is a F'n SCAM!

Ever notice the new member that speaks English yet has no continual train of thought?

The guy that has no inflection? No real continuity?

IT'S AI learning on the web, and WE are teaching it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOGLE, and NASA!!!! OWN the Quantum computer.

I'll link what we are allowed to know...

Zom.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 4-3-2015 at 20:06

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hbApj1U84Fg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMdHDHEuOUE

https://gigaom.com/2014/01/31/leave-the-absolute-zero-to-nas...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dXNmbiGPS4

Don't even TRY to tell me this is not real. There is a working computer that NASA, and GOOGLE are running that takes one binary digit, and made it THREE.

The same math that makes "Black holes" exist, made this happen. Quantum math.

I'd love to discuss any part of this further.

Zom.
Deathunter88
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-4-2015 at 00:19

Quote: Originally posted by Little_Ghost_again  
I wasnt going to fess up but decided I would. I saw a fractionating column for sale, 1 meter long!!! quickfit joints never used before, it also came packed with rings and a heating jacket.
the price? £130. I thought it was a bargain but was short of cash so I sold my beloved bike to a kid at school, the bike was worth around £250 but I needed quick cash so let it go for £100.
I got dad to drive me the 40 miles to go pick up the column as i didnt want to risk posting. Traffic was awful and it took us 2 hours to get there, on the way back I could here it move around in the boot so when dad said he was going to stop to get fuel I decided I would rearrange it in the boot to stop it moving.
He pulled into the petrol station and I jumped out to open the boot, I grabbed the column and lifted it out.
Dad said something as I did it so I turned with it in my hand, part was still poking inside the boot and as I swung round.....................Crack against the side of the boot! One gorgeous column in half :(.
No bike and no column!!! All those distillations I had planed :(.

The other one I dare not detail but the long and short is, I recently got the chance to do a fire drill and test the fire extinguisher! it worked really well. The curtains (new) were ruined and the ceiling needs a coat of paint :D, but all is well and it could of been worse! I wont be lazy next time and will use the oil bath instead of a bunsen ;)

A 1 meter fractioning column for £130??? Here a column that size sells for 23$ AT MOST...
Texium
Administrator

Mood: PhD candidate!

[*] posted on 1-4-2015 at 19:47

A couple weeks ago my favorite fritted funnel got broken. :(
I don't even know how it happened. I had been using it like normal, and after disassembling the filtering apparatus, I set it down on the bench. About 15 minutes later, I picked it up to clean off, and it had a big crack in the glass right below the fritted disk. I have another, but it's coarse frit rather than fine, and that isn't suitable for most things that I need to filter.

Come check out the Official Sciencemadness Wiki
They're not really active right now, but here's my YouTube channel and my blog.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 2-4-2015 at 12:18

Aww, that sucks. I haven't broken anything recently, but I know the feeling. Like the time I ordered a 50mL beaker so I could own 3 small beakers for making solutions in, and I broke one of my beakers before it arrived...

blargish
Hazard to Others

Mood: Mode Push

[*] posted on 3-4-2015 at 19:18

Just broke my 500 mL sep funnel today...

ARRRRGGGGHHHH!!! :mad:

BLaRgISH
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 4-4-2015 at 11:54

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
Aww, that sucks. I haven't broken anything recently, but I know the feeling. Like the time I ordered a 50mL beaker so I could own 3 small beakers for making solutions in, and I broke one of my beakers before it arrived...

Murphy's law Bro! Happens every time.;)

Zom.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 15:42

Quote: Originally posted by Zombie  
Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  

Murphy's law Bro! Happens every time.;)

And.... I just broke something today, so that statement came back to bite me... I broke a 250mL Beaker by tapping it (It was full of CuSO4 crystals), and I broke a glass stirring rod. I only have two left! :/ And I just bought them. I need to stop using them to pry at stuff lodged in the beaker. The other stirring rod I broke snapped because I was prying at some Urea crystals :(

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 19:21

I read somewhere that Hobby Lobby sells glass rod for crafts that is dirt cheap, and youcan get t in cool colors.

http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/opaque-glass-rods-147074...

147074.jpg - 12kB

Zom.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-4-2015 at 19:34

But I don't wan't cool colors... :( No, that's actually a good idea. Too bad they didn't sell chemically pure ceramic enamals...

Kitsune1
Harmless

[*] posted on 11-4-2015 at 14:54

Damn, I thought I was doing so well with my glassware, no breaks for a couple of years and today I was planning on doing an end-point titration of HCl I made last week. My prized Class A Volac burette (Given to me by my Grandfather (was a Chemist) when I was a kid) was in the stand while I went and got the solutions out, I came back and the burette exploded from the stopcock, glass all over the bench. How marvellous, of all the things that could have broken that get exposed to hot and cold or that isn't stored in lots of padding, my burette breaks and whilst I'm not even using it.
100PercentChemistry
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-9-2015 at 16:37

-one day a face shield fell on the tip of my expensive Burette.
-a 3 way adapter and a condenser where stuck, so I pryed them apart, and they broke:(
-a beaker broke, spilling hot liquid and broke my hotplate, luckily it was not very expensive,

I haven't had any big accidents. The biggest one I've had is.
- a 150mL bottle of 98 percent H2SO4 spilled
ave369
Eastern European Lady of Mad Science

[*] posted on 1-10-2015 at 01:18

Shit happening to glassware is becoming disturbingly common in my lab. Yesterday I broke my pi-shaped glass tube. About the ruined retort I already told everyone. Also recently I dropped and shattered the Buchner funnel, but it is made of porcelain, so it was easy to glue it whole again.

Smells like ammonia....
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

Mood: Baffled

[*] posted on 1-10-2015 at 18:07

Quote: Originally posted by Deathunter88  
Quote: Originally posted by Little_Ghost_again  
I wasnt going to fess up but decided I would. I saw a fractionating column for sale, 1 meter long!!! quickfit joints never used before, it also came packed with rings and a heating jacket.
the price? £130. I thought it was a bargain but was short of cash so I sold my beloved bike to a kid at school, the bike was worth around £250 but I needed quick cash so let it go for £100.
I got dad to drive me the 40 miles to go pick up the column as i didnt want to risk posting. Traffic was awful and it took us 2 hours to get there, on the way back I could here it move around in the boot so when dad said he was going to stop to get fuel I decided I would rearrange it in the boot to stop it moving.
He pulled into the petrol station and I jumped out to open the boot, I grabbed the column and lifted it out.
Dad said something as I did it so I turned with it in my hand, part was still poking inside the boot and as I swung round.....................Crack against the side of the boot! One gorgeous column in half :(.
No bike and no column!!! All those distillations I had planed :(.

The other one I dare not detail but the long and short is, I recently got the chance to do a fire drill and test the fire extinguisher! it worked really well. The curtains (new) were ruined and the ceiling needs a coat of paint :D, but all is well and it could of been worse! I wont be lazy next time and will use the oil bath instead of a bunsen ;)

A 1 meter fractioning column for £130??? Here a column that size sells for 23$ AT MOST...

I cant find the ebay link now, and google hasnt thrown up much but I will try and describe, it might actually have a more technical name!
http://img.directindustry.com/images_di/photo-g/distillation...
if you look at that picture it was a bit like that but had two other outer glass water jackets, it also has those glass packing rings inside and 3 sections had a kind indentation for a heating wire. It dosnt sound it but it was a real bargain.
$23 is about £15??? I doubt here you get simple 1 meter column for that :(, shipping would be that! I now use a borrosilic glass tube I got off ebay for £11, I use small glass beads as packing and a rubber bung at the top to connect to a quickfit bend that connect to my condenser, I havnt used it much but it seemed to work well once it warmed up.
I tend to be lazy now and just distill and then try and get more water out with sodium or calcium sulfate. I sort of gave up trying to get really dry ethanol, I dont need it as dry as I was first convinced I did.
Same with sulphuric acid I was paying £10 more for 98% and the cheaper 96% seems just as good for what I need.
I am going to switch over to the drain cleaner when I find a source cheap enough with shipping.

Dont ask me, I only know enough to be dangerous
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 12:21

Today my lab in AP chem went rather badly. The teacher decided to switch from using great glass burettes for titration to using a crappy plastic 'burette' with a drop counter and pH meter. Our drop-counter would not calibrate, but my teacher insisted we try again until it was too late. My lab partners will be repeating the lab during their lunch, but since I have a class that period, I cannot help...

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 12:40

A Plastic Burette ?

World's gone mad.

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-10-2015 at 12:53

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
A Plastic Burette ?

World's gone mad.

Yup.. I know. It was shaped like a large syringe body, and the stopcock kept unscrewing and falling off :(

Alkoxide
Harmless

Mood: Refluxing

[*] posted on 8-10-2015 at 05:45

Two weekends ago I attempted my first vacuum distillation. I had refluxed isopropanol with calcium oxide to dry it and needed to distill off the dry isopropanol. I bought a beautiful explosion rated KNF two stage vacuum pump a while back and was itching to try it out. I set up everything for vacuum distillation and turned on the vacuum pump. It turns out I had accidentally hooked up my vacuum tubing to the exhaust port on the vacuum pump (ports were not marked on the pump). After 10 seconds of nothing happening, the penny stopper on the top of my distillation adapter popped out of its joint, promptly rising a foot or so in the air, and fell on my concrete floor, shattering. Won't make that mistake again. I replaced the stopper and tried again. Not to long after the distillation started the second time the flask started bumping badly and calcium oxide got into the still head, down the condenser, and into my receiving flask. It was a pain to clean up. Some of my glassware is still dirty with CaO, going to try soaking it in Vinegar which should get rid of any remaining CaO.
Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

[*] posted on 10-10-2015 at 08:39

Had to end my session today :(, I stirred a solution containing mostly 98% sulphuric acid with a hollow glass rod (it was to hand), placed the rod on a white tile next to a clean rod.
Went off for an hour to do a couple of things and decided to stir one of the containers with bleach and salt in, didnt even stop to think about which rod was used or not and stuck the rod with a small amount of sulphuric acid straight into the small falsk of strong bleach.
Small quick fizz nothing special but a sudden strong acrid smell and now my tongue and throat are sore. No fume hood no nothing and standing right over the flask. Could have probably been alot worse but the stupidity of it is what really hurts.

aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 15-10-2015 at 09:05

A fly destroyed a 100mm glass funnel and a 250ml beaker in the lab today, and spilt hot calcium chloride solution all over the place.

To achieve this it caused a glass prism to leap from a shelf, crashing down into the funnel/beaker.

it cleverly manipulated an idiot with a flyswatter to make all this happen.

Would not be too bad, but a slug killed my washing machine yesterday - it got onto the back of the control PCB, shorted it, killing the board, then fried itself (must have been a suicide slug).

The bugs are fighting back i swear.

[Edited on 15-10-2015 by aga]

NedsHead
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 15-10-2015 at 22:37

a slug killed my washing machine yesterday

I was expecting an elaborate story about how a slug manipulated you into destroying your washing machine, I'm a little disappointed actually
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 16-10-2015 at 00:00

The key question is who radicalised the slug and how.

Previously the he was a straight-A student with distinctions in both sliming and leaf-eating.

Current intel points to links with the radical Al-Slugbah organisation.

Little_Ghost_again
National Hazard

[*] posted on 16-10-2015 at 05:43

A fly destroyed a 100mm glass funnel and a 250ml beaker in the lab today, and spilt hot calcium chloride solution all over the place.

To achieve this it caused a glass prism to leap from a shelf, crashing down into the funnel/beaker.

it cleverly manipulated an idiot with a flyswatter to make all this happen.

Would not be too bad, but a slug killed my washing machine yesterday - it got onto the back of the control PCB, shorted it, killing the board, then fried itself (must have been a suicide slug).

The bugs are fighting back i swear.

[Edited on 15-10-2015 by aga]

Whatever you do dont try and claim for the washing machine on insurance!! That is one claim form that would sweep the net LOL.
I would love to see their faces reading the form at the IC, 'a slug yeah right hes trying it on!' 'also claims a fly is terrorizing him' LMAO.

Pages:  1  ..  25    27    29  ..  38

Go To Top