Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Who here is capable of Non-Peroxide initiators?
golfpro
Banned

Mood: Cap Sensitive

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 15:52

My NO2/NO bubbled through 10% H2O2 made some very weak nitric acid, it hardly reacted with the copper penny when it was finished, but I had a hard time dissolving KNO3 into HCl creating a longer reaction time and lower reaction that didn't disolve the initial copper all the way to create the gas.

It was still cool to see nitrogen dioxide. I think there has got to be a way to get pure (or pure enough silver nitrate, for silver acetylide DS) without using 70% nitric acid. Like sulfuric and a nitrate salt, and then somehow seperate the contaminents (SO4, Na, whatever) maybe by filtration, silver nitrate is soluble in water.

Anders, what do you think
BCNOFNe
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 21:58

If you have say 98% H2SO4 and add a nitrate salt in a slight molar excess and heat, you should end up with a XSO4 precipitating out and HNO3 plus your extra XNO3 that can be separated by filtering. It will be strong enough for what you are trying to do.
If you are trying to keep it OTC, you can use a stump remover that is KNO3 (ace hardware carries it) and professional plumbers H2SO4 drain cleaner (ace also has this)

If you have any questions you can U2U me.
NeonPulse
Hazard to Others

Mood: Isolated from Reality! For Real this time....

[*] posted on 12-7-2013 at 01:43

Iused to use the peroxides myself.i guess many people here did when starting out. as unstable as they are (TATP,HMTD) they are easy to produce with good yeilds and are fairly powerful and reliable which makes them attractive as initiators. since then i have shifted to silver acetylide double salts as i have heard alot of good things about them and i found the synth pretty rewarding. not the most powerful choice but works very well in combination with ETN in a cap i use 5to700mg ETN and 200mg SA and have not had one fail me yet. i have tried MF in the past too it works pretty well also but the fumes it makes during production really turned me off it also the results differed each time i made it once i got a brownish product- when it was heated gently to start the reaction off it took around 5-10 mins, another time it was cold outside during the synth so i heated it faster to get it going and i fumed alot at once, a very violent reaction and the yeild was nice and silvery in colour. both perfomed equally. Silver Acetylide is my 1st choice now.MF 2nd, then HMTD, TATP is out of the question.

Where there is a will
there is a way.

AllCheMystery!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWbbidIY4v57uczsl0Fgv7w?vie...
Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 12-7-2013 at 05:17

HMTD is considered, but AP is out of the question? This is quite hypocrite and k3lw-ish, to say that one is good, the other one is the crap, when they are quite similar in number of disadvantages.
SURT Tech.
Harmless

[*] posted on 12-7-2013 at 06:21

HMTD is chemically unstable. Sensitivity to friction is also extremely high.
caterpillar
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-7-2013 at 10:23

I was at nearly killed, using MF (but I have to admit, it was my fault, not one of this compound). TATP, one the other hand, gave me no problems. I tried to prepare AC, but I made a big mistake- I used solution of AgNO3 with ammonia (now I know, that I had to add some nitric acid to AgNO3) and finally I obtained Ag2C2. Sounds loudly, but it was unable to initiate picric acid for example.

Women are more perilous sometimes, than any hi explosive.
NeonPulse
Hazard to Others

Mood: Isolated from Reality! For Real this time....

[*] posted on 13-7-2013 at 00:52

Quote: Originally posted by Ral123  
HMTD is considered, but AP is out of the question? This is quite hypocrite and k3lw-ish, to say that one is good, the other one is the crap, when they are quite similar in number of disadvantages.
i never said any of them are crap, its just all of the accidents ive heard about with AP scare me a little. thats not to say HMTD is any better, it has its fair share of mishaps too. its just if i was to synth one it would be HMTD mostly because it is powder and if i store it for a week it wont make undesirable crystals form in the lid of the container.

Where there is a will
there is a way.

AllCheMystery!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWbbidIY4v57uczsl0Fgv7w?vie...
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top