Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: B-Z Reaction Indicators?
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 11-7-2013 at 18:06
B-Z Reaction Indicators?

Hey everyone!

Maker Faire coming up- I will have a booth doing chemistry experiments! One reaction I think will be neat is the BZ reaction. The one where red and blue ripples go across a petri dish and 'magically' disappear upon collision? The only prob is I lack ferroin... But then I was thinking- what is the ferroin really doing? It is just being a redox indicator- nothing different from methylene blue or indigo carmine!

Ferroin goes from blue to red @ +1.06 V.
Methylene blue (at pH 7) is reduced to the blue form at +.01 V.
Indigo Carmine (@ pH 7) goes blue at -.13 V.

Because I don't have ferroin- I am looking to substitute another (almost as spectacular) indicator. Would either indigo carmine or methylene blue work? Which would you choose? Would they be too sensitive?

Thanks a lot in advance- electrochemistry and redox is not my area :)
-SciHide

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-7-2013 at 03:56

I'm pretty sure I have a BZ demo paper somewhere that lists methyl orange as an indicator... Ill try and find it and edit the post later on, but I think you can use methyl orange...

-edit- okay so I managed to find the paper but lacking a scanner I had to take a picture of the experimental, hopefully it is of use.

"Creating BZ reactions in a Petri dish" Biochemical Education, 23(4) 1995

image.jpg - 139kB

[Edited on 12-7-2013 by Mailinmypocket]
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 12-7-2013 at 11:43

Okay- this will surely work! Thanks a lot!

EDIT: This is similar to, but not, the BZ reaction, though, correct? I actually like this version better, because that it doesn't use expensive malonic acid. But for this KBrO3/NaBr version I can technically use methyl orange or universal. Correct?

[Edited on 12-7-2013 by ScienceHideout]

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 12-7-2013 at 15:00

By definition this is a BZ reaction- I've not yet tried this version of the BZ reaction to be honest, I just remembered having a demo of it using methyl orange. I know that malonic acid can be replaced with citric acid but if I remember correctly it creates a more cloudy reaction, maybe somebody with experience using citric acid could elaborate more on that. Based on my experience and memory, using malonic acid and ferroin (made using 1-10 phenanthroline and ferrous sulfate) the "waves" expanded more rapidly than the 6mm/min as written in the attached experimental though. If you did want some malonic acid it can be had relatively cheaply from an eBay seller called chemdreamland-eu for ~$9/50g, I have purchase many times from this seller, A+. I would be interested in seeing the methyl orange method sans malonic acid though, perhaps I will try it myself and see.

Go To Top