Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  16    18    20  ..  103
Author: Subject: The Short Questions Thread (4)
copperastic
Hazard to Others

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 25-3-2014 at 17:27

Where can i get a 10 GPH pump. Ive spent like an hour trying to find one. Thanks.

P.S. My hose is to big to attach.

[Edited on 26-3-2014 by copperastic]

elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 25-3-2014 at 17:32

Does your hose have a thread connector? If so, pop on down to the hardware store and get a brass nipple for the rubber tubing with an appropriate connection to the female end of a hose connector. Cost ~$7, works beautifully.

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
copperastic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-3-2014 at 17:34

ok elementcollector thanks.

Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 25-3-2014 at 18:35

Quote: Originally posted by Refinery  
What is the solubility of potassium sulfate in methanol?
What is the solubility of ammonium nitrate in methanol?

No idea why I humored you spoon-feeding request....
Could you not type in Google: solubility of potassium sulfate in methanol?
Anyway, this is pretty good.
This isn't as good.

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 27-3-2014 at 15:21

This isn't really a chemistry question...

I have a Nd:YVO4 green laser pointer. Neodymium normally emits in the IR range, but a frequency doubler (potassium titanyl phosphate) is used to convert it to green light. If I look through the frequency doubler crystal, will I be able to see the world in infrared? Is there any way to do this with frequency doubling?

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
GoldGuy
Harmless

Mood: Not sure if awake or in a dream where Im trying to fully awake.

[*] posted on 30-3-2014 at 03:14

Sorry Brain & Force I don't have an answer for you. Anyway...

There is so much ambiguity the solubility of methylamine.
Ive tried to search this one simple question for months
It says right here that methylamine is insoluble in acetone and ethyl acetate? Is this true?
Does anyone know if methylamine is soluble acetone? Are the di and tri methylamines soluble in acetone?

P.S. a bit below it also says MeNH2.HCl is insoluble in most organic solvents. Is this true?:D
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 06:45
Sea Salt

I have lots of sea salt in my house, we usually use it instead of pure NaCl to flavor our food.
My question is, is sea salt really evaporated salt water, or do they do anything to remove some of the other salts?
Sea water contains decent amounts of Br- ions.
and by bubbling chlorine through sea water elemental bromine is isolated industrially. I don't live near an ocean, but making a saturated solution of sea salt, and bubbling chlorine, I could make some bromine if it really is evaporated salt water.
2 Br- + Cl2 → Br2 + 2 Cl-.
[EDIT] I guess the only way to test is to just try it. Luckily that will be quite easy. Has anyone else tried this? I suppose iodine could be made the same way, and it will be produced first, as it can be reduced by chlorine and bromine.... Separation should be easy.

[Edited on 4-4-2014 by Zyklonb]

forgottenpassword
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 07:42

I think that it would be a lot simpler and easier to buy a bromide salt, or pool brominating tablets? What concentration of bromide do you expect from sea salt? I read 0.2%!

[Edited on 4-4-2014 by forgottenpassword]
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 07:45

I already bought 100 grams of KBr, but it wasn't very cheap.... Yeah it's definitely easier, but this is how it's done industrially, and I want to make larger quantity's of bromine.

forgottenpassword
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 08:04

Sodium bromide is cheap in bulk. 25 kg for 120 pounds: http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2050601.m570.l1313...
Perhaps you have bought photographic grade? By all means give it a try with sea salt, but I gather that it is only economical if you have a whole ocean of sea water as your starting material. :D
Good luck anyway.
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 08:11

Search on YouTube for a video by ChemStudy on bromine. It's a very old video but it has a part where they demonstrate lab scale bromine production from sea water, yields are poor but the video is fantastic, as with all the chemstudy episodes!
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-4-2014 at 08:13

Oh, thanks for the link, I don't have 120 pounds ($199.07) but maybe soon. I think what I bought was for spa's but I'd have to check again.
If I do indeed try on a larger scale I will certainly just buy NaBr or KBr bulk, rather than sea salt...
I still would like to try and see if sea salt does contain bromides.
[EDIT]
Quote: Originally posted by Mailinmypocket  
Search on YouTube for a video by ChemStudy on bromine. It's a very old video but it has a part where they demonstrate lab scale bromine production from sea water, yields are poor but the video is fantastic, as with all the chemstudy episodes!

I will thanks. I think I did watch it a long time ago, but I must have forgotten.
As you can see I didn't do as much research as I should have.:o

[Edited on 4-4-2014 by Zyklonb]

azg
Harmless

[*] posted on 5-4-2014 at 06:37
Question

How to make elemental phosphorous from phosphides?
I have read that they are sold as rodenticides to mix with rat food. I'm an amateur so is there any way I can get phosphorous from metal phosphides like calcium and aluminium phosphide? Because I cannot find elemental phosphorous anywhere. The red one along the side of matchboxes is present in so small quantities:(

[Edited on 5-4-2014 by azg]
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 5-4-2014 at 07:09

Quote: Originally posted by azg  
is there any way I can get phosphorous from metal phosphides like calcium and aluminium phosphide? Because I cannot find elemental phosphorous anywhere. The red one along the side of matchboxes is present in so small quantities:(

There are several threads devoted to isolating elemental Phosphorus on here, a quick search will get you there.

BTW, those pest control phosphides are FUMIGANTS that release poisonous phosphine gasses. MUCH more dangerous to handle than the phosphates-

So, what is your phosphorous project in relation to?

I hope your next questions aren't about elemental Iodine and/or Lithium metal? Or maybe production of methylamine?

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Zyklon-A
International Hazard

[*] posted on 5-4-2014 at 07:12

Red phosphorus is very hard to buy as it is used extensively in the production of methamphetamine.
isolating it is no easier, but not impossible, don't expect to make it in any less than a week, and it may cost a lot of start-up money....
This is a great place to learn some of the common procedure's.
Also...

Attachment: Phosphorus-Microwave.pdf (67kB)
This file has been downloaded 443 times

Attachment: Phosphrous Summation.htm (111kB)
This file has been downloaded 1146 times

copperastic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-4-2014 at 04:28

Hello, I was watching a you-tube video that said that hydrochloric acid would react with copper sulfate to form copper chloride, Sulfuric acid, and water. Is this true?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sroXTxFHbec

Galinstan
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 6-4-2014 at 06:01

all you will get is all the ions present in a solution and if the Cl- ion is in high enough concnetration the [CuCl4]- complex ion so while there will be copper ion sand chloride ions present in solution they don't go around as CuCl2 in solution and the same for sulphuric acid you will have hydronium ions and bisulphate and sulphate all as a mess in a solution. not sulphuric acid and copper chloride.
Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 6-4-2014 at 12:01

If you want to make copper chloride, precipitate the copper sulfate with sodium carbonate/bicarbonate (watch bubbling if you use the bicarbonate) and dissolve the carbonate in hydrochloric acid. Works like a charm and can be used as an etching solution with excess HCl and a bit of hydrogen peroxide.

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-4-2014 at 12:04
Question

Not a chemistry question...
I just received a big MMO plated Ti anode. It's strong as hell, and I've already broken a heavy-duty pair of wire clippers trying to cut it to a smaller size.
Although I haven't tried, it seems like a hacksaw would be hard to use to cut a mesh. It's 10 in by 6 in - way to big for my project, and definitely needs to be shortened. How would I go about cutting it?

copperastic
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-4-2014 at 12:08

zklonb if you have lots of time you could spend probably a year with a file.

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 7-4-2014 at 12:44

An abrasive cut off wheel at high RPM. Wear protective equipment and a dust mask.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 7-4-2014 at 13:10

I used metal sheet scissors, works very well if you are strong enough.

I never asked for this.
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

[*] posted on 7-4-2014 at 13:54

Yeah, thanks everyone, I tried sheet metal snips didn't even make a dent. Bert's suggestion is probably the most ideal, but I'd rather not spent any more money, or wait for shipping. I didn't think Ti was even that strong... Perhaps I could use a chisel and hammer to break every wire individually.
[EDIT] Never mind, I used a hammer on the metal snips, it worked great.
I can sell pieces of MMO to anybody that wants one. $2-4/ sq inch (Depending on the amount). Contact via U2U or email.
FREE SHIPPING!

[Edited on 8-4-2014 by Zyklonb]

DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

Mood: In research

[*] posted on 7-4-2014 at 14:05

Are there any complex salts of Aluminum with hydrazine or ammonia? I heard Al(NH3)6 exist?
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 7-4-2014 at 15:53

Quote: Originally posted by DubaiAmateurRocketry  
Are there any complex salts of Aluminum with hydrazine or ammonia? I heard Al(NH3)6 exist?

I don't think aluminum forms stable complexes with nitrogen donors, outside of being dissolved in liquid ammonia. Lang's handbook of chemistry doesn't even list an ethylenediamine complex.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
 Pages:  1  ..  16    18    20  ..  103

Go To Top