Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  33    35    37  ..  103
Author: Subject: The Short Questions Thread (4)
gdflp
Super Moderator

Mood: Staring at code

[*] posted on 16-1-2015 at 06:41

Try WD40, spray some around the joint and let it sit for a few minutes. Repeat this a few times and then let it sit for an hour. The goal is to try to get some WD40 to leak into the joint and loosen it. This is the only method I use for stuck glassware, but some other methods which I haven't tried are gently tapping the joint with a rubber mallet while trying to pull it apart, and using a mixture of acetone and acetic acid to replace the WD40. Vacuum desiccators generally have very thick glass, so I would imagine that trying to heat up and expand one side of the joint won't work, but you could try.
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 16-1-2015 at 07:17

I had a problem with a stuck vacuum dessicator once (at a lab at a local university), and it was solved by use of a heat gun. The nice thing is that it's a flat joint, so it's easy to heat up one side (the top) only.

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
Jylliana
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bubbly ^-^

[*] posted on 16-1-2015 at 08:35

Noted. I'll try it. Thanks, both :)

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 16-1-2015 at 19:28

Following Cheddite's lead...
Heat source on the outer join, and cold (Dry Ice) held on the inner join will separate them almost instantly unless there is a chemical bond.

I work with tapers, and press fit parts regularly, and nothing works better than heat/cold applied to opposite sides.

The other end of this spectrum is tapping. A rubber mallet will not work (well). Actually a hard plastic hammer is much better, and you do NOT hit the join. You hit the bottom edge of the flask/beaker/whatever. The idea is to create a shock wave that distorts the taper and the join will expel what ever is in it.

I've used shock cord/det cord to remove boat props, when heat/cold failed.

If it breaks after all of this... Good riddance!

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 18-1-2015 at 18:01

I added a dilute solution of sodium bicarb. to a concentrated solution of cobalt chloride. A purple-ish precipitate formed after some time, but no carbon dioxide was formed. Furthermore, although I used stiochemically accurate quantities of reagents, the solution is still the color of cobalt chloride. I've found in the past I've had some trouble figuring out carbonates vs. hydroxides, and which are formed, some help would be nice.

Jylliana
Hazard to Others

Mood: Bubbly ^-^

[*] posted on 19-1-2015 at 03:05

My dessicator is unstuck!
Applying heat to the top half did the trick. I didn't have WD40 on hand so I tried the heat first. Thanks! :D

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 19-1-2015 at 11:24

Quote: Originally posted by The Volatile Chemist  
I added a dilute solution of sodium bicarb. to a concentrated solution of cobalt chloride. A purple-ish precipitate formed after some time, but no carbon dioxide was formed. Furthermore, although I used stiochemically accurate quantities of reagents, the solution is still the color of cobalt chloride. I've found in the past I've had some trouble figuring out carbonates vs. hydroxides, and which are formed, some help would be nice.

Don't add stoichiometric quantities when attempting precipitation.

All solids have a solubility product which defines the equilibrium between two dissolved species, in this case cobalt and carbonate. To drive the equilibrium to the right you need to add more of the precipitating agent. The excess carbonate drops more cobalt out of solution. This is known as the common-ion effect.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_equilibrium

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 19-1-2015 at 14:43

Thanks.
And I'm not fond of your 'facebook' link. I'd seen it before, but without speakers........

Brain&Force
Hazard to Lanthanides

Mood: Incommensurately modulated

[*] posted on 19-1-2015 at 15:25

Just note that this represents what I think of Facebook...

At the end of the day, simulating atoms doesn't beat working with the real things...
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 20-1-2015 at 09:09

Quote: Originally posted by Brain&Force  
Just note that this represents what I think of Facebook...

It represents what I think of Facebook, too, but still...
Thanks for your help, I precipitated all of my CoCO3.

SimpleChemist-238
Hazard to Others

Mood: Chlorine Trifloride Flame Thrower

[*] posted on 22-1-2015 at 18:54

What is the safest and most legal way to get dispose of small amounts of uranium water such as .5g of UO2? Hypothetical.

We are chemists , we bring light to the darkness. Knowledge to ignorant, excitement to the depressed and unknowing. we bring crops to broken fields and water to the desert. Where there is fear we bring curiosity.

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 22-1-2015 at 21:20

Quote:
most legal

Legal is not a sliding scale. It is either legal or illegal. And it would depend on your jurisdiction.
I doubt anyone is going to come knocking on your door though (Unless you have an active branch of the Nuclear Police armed with geiger counters patrolling your area.)
I think the question you need is, "What is the most environmentally responsible means for disposing of waste uranium solutions and precipitates?" For that, I would like to know the answer too. (Equally hypothetical.)
My very small quantities of solutions and precipitate wastes are (1) precipitated to stable safer forms as much as possible, (2) concentrated via evaporation and (3) mixed with cement to make concrete blocks for solid waste disposal. That said, the highest toxicity I play with is Pb. I am not sure that this procedure is suited for anything really nasty or for anything radioactive.
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 22-1-2015 at 21:42

Depleted uranium is barely radioactive.
It is a heavy metal however and is toxic for that reason. I'd. Precipitate it as the most insoluble salt as possible, that is not too toxic. Then bring it to the same place I take broken mercury lightbulbs to, Home Depot in my case.

SimpleChemist-238
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-1-2015 at 22:15

Can you make it into a peroxide thats insoluble and flush it into a utility drain with lots of water? Its depleted and the most dangerous aspect is the heavy metal part.

[Edited on 23-1-2015 by SimpleChemist-238]

We are chemists , we bring light to the darkness. Knowledge to ignorant, excitement to the depressed and unknowing. we bring crops to broken fields and water to the desert. Where there is fear we bring curiosity.

j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 22-1-2015 at 22:37

Quote: Originally posted by Zyklon-A  
Depleted uranium is barely radioactive.
It is a heavy metal however and is toxic for that reason. I'd. Precipitate it as the most insoluble salt as possible, that is not too toxic. Then bring it to the same place I take broken mercury lightbulbs to, Home Depot in my case.

Agreed on the depleted U. However, if ores are your start material (I am thinking of a particular video in the bad chemistry videos thread) then you are going to have mixed heavy metal radioactive salts as waste. I really don't know what is an acceptable disposal method for that. I certainly don't have anyone or anywhere I could "take it to".

It is a potential area of interest. I would want to have my disposal procedures fully sorted out before I began even buying anything. I know that there are a few chemists on this site that have experience of this. I would like to know what a sensible solution is.
SimpleChemist-238
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-1-2015 at 07:35

My starting material is depleted UO2. Not ore.

The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 23-1-2015 at 13:20

Quote: Originally posted by SimpleChemist-238  
My starting material is depleted UO2. Not ore.
Starting to sound less hypothetical. :) But that's OK, it's just best to be honest on this site.

AlphaDecay
Hazard to Self

Mood: Emitting Helium-4

[*] posted on 25-1-2015 at 12:38

What is the best way to remove colloidal particles in 98% sulfuric acid? I'd assume that concentrated H2SO4 would react with ordinary filter paper, wouldn't it?
Thanks
Chemosynthesis
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-1-2015 at 12:48

Yes.
Vacuum distillation might be fastest. Depending on your particle size, a frit might clog.
SimpleChemist-238
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-1-2015 at 10:40

has any one had problems with a very old sample of HCl and or HCl from Home Depot. In 3 experiments the HCl was not doing what I needed it to do. I think that it is because of how old the sample of acid is or that I got it from Home Depot.

Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 27-1-2015 at 10:49

You may have had another issue. I use HCL (Home Depot/Ace Hardware) almost daily for cleaning dark water stains off of fiberglass boat hulls. I have several cases I bought almost 5 years ago, and several opened bottles that have sat in different locations for years.
I have never had a bottle "go bad".
Perhaps if the bottle were left wide open to the environment for a year or more... but never anything like an "old stock" issue.

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
Molecular Manipulations
Hazard to Others

Mood: High on forbidden fruit

[*] posted on 27-1-2015 at 11:00

Quote: Originally posted by SimpleChemist-238  
has any one had problems with a very old sample of HCl and or HCl from Home Depot. In 3 experiments the HCl was not doing what I needed it to do. I think that it is because of how old the sample of acid is or that I got it from Home Depot.

If you want an answer you should give more details, what experiments? What did it do?
What's the brand name? I've used Home Depot HCl (aq) and never had any problems.

-The manipulator
We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know. -W. H. Auden
SimpleChemist-238
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 27-1-2015 at 11:12

I tired to dissolve gallium metal in the HCl and H2O2. No reaction even over a few days. Was it just the experiment? I know it reacts very slowly but after 3 days I would expect some reaction.

math
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 11:38
Butane cooling

Question:

can I safely put a small butane canister (lighter refills) at -15°C for some hours then expect to take it out and pour liquid butane out of it by pushing the valve (as usually done when filling a lighter) ?

Thank you :)
Argentum
Harmless

Mood: UV light

[*] posted on 4-2-2015 at 13:44

Question

Is there any way of recognizing sulphuric acid without using a pH-meter or pH paper?

It's from a liquid drain cleaner, it should be H2SO4 but I'd like to be sure.
No, the label doesn't says the content of the bottle.

Thanks!
 Pages:  1  ..  33    35    37  ..  103

Go To Top