Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Chemistry and Math for Pharmacy school
Drax
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-9-2004 at 20:09
Chemistry and Math for Pharmacy school

I want to be a pharmacist, but I have never been that good in math. I know that in chemistry you will have to calculate things in chemical reactions, but I don't know how complicated it gets. I have to take calculus, chemistry, biology, and two other courses in university before pharmacy school. I want to know how good at math I will have to be, and how much math is involved in chemistry.
Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

Mood: conformation:ga

[*] posted on 4-9-2004 at 20:34
Begin now.

Math is the language of science. It is also my achilles heel, I am currently studying on my own, every day.

I can wholeheartedly recommend "how to calculate quickly" by henry sticker, it is a course in speed arithmetic.

"how to solve word problems in algebra" by mildred and tim johnson. It has helped immensely in my ability to couch ideas and concepts into algebraic equations.

In fact, that's how I would define Algebra, as the ability to translate the spoken word into mathematical figures, and from there begin to manipulate them.

I am also running through a book on mastering calculus but I cannot find it right this second. I'll post it's title later.

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win: you\'re still retarded.
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness

Mood: Waiting for spring

[*] posted on 4-9-2004 at 22:26

If you are just taking general and organic chemistry, you honestly don't need that much math. Take a look at the problems in textbooks. Solid competence in high school algebra should cover most problems, math-wise. I've seen many students freeze up because they had to derive new formulas from given/memorized formulas to solve a problem. Be sure you can manipulate formulas, not just remember them!

If you ever think you'll want/need to do a lot of calculations in different areas of chemistry, I suggest that you become familiar with the high level concepts of whatever mathematical techniques you need, take a numerical analysis course, and learn how to make computers correctly and quickly do the heavy lifting. You need enough familiarity with mathematical techniques to know what you're doing and notice when the computer is blatantly lying to you, but being able to do everything by hand isn't necessary and frequently impossible for problems that appear in the wild.

PGP Key and corresponding e-mail address
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 4-9-2004 at 22:48

In New Zealand, Chemistry, Physics, Mathematics, and either Biology/Zoology/Botany or an optional subject, are usually the four required subjects for the first-year intermediate course for the 4-year B.Pharm. Where there are more applicants for the second year (First Professional) than there are places, selection is supposed to be on the basis of aggregate academic grades. (But in practice it seldom is, because of affirmative action in favor of racial minorities, and downright nepotism etc.).

John W.
mick
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-9-2004 at 04:57

For phamacy you certainly need to know densities and concentrations to make up various formulations and to work out wt related dosages. I think analysing patient information is in there as well which would be graphs and statistics.
Mick
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 5-9-2004 at 05:05

I personally know someone who's studying pharmacy and she has a lot of trouble with maths. From what I've seen the maths is pretty much the same as for chemistry.

Which means you'll need to familiarize yourself with integrals, differential equations and matrices.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

Mood: conformation:ga

[*] posted on 5-9-2004 at 07:01

Quote:
Originally posted by Polverone
If you are just taking general and organic chemistry, you honestly don't need that much math.

This sounds like someone who has the confidence that comes with solid math ability.

It's like splinters up the fingernails for the rest of us.

Last year, in my first year introduction to modern chemistry class, about the third week in, the professor starts talking about a lawn, I asked the guy next to me "why is this guy talking about yard work?" he's like; NO IDIOT!....Lon.....y'know, natural Logarithims.....and rolls his eyes.

I am going to be re-taking intro to modern chem again next year.

This year, I am taking intro chem, without the calculus component, and also taking intro calculus 1 and 2, and intro physics electrical.

I should point out though that I was a grade ten drop-out who just decided to get into university after injury forced me to quit working construction.

I have discovered enthusiasm does NOT make up for lack of acedemic background.

Perhaps you might have more luck, or chemistry is taught differently where you live, Drax.

Hermes.

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win: you\'re still retarded.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 5-9-2004 at 07:28

It is also in my experience that people going into the pharmaceutical industry need the same amount of math as people going into chemistry. I personally still need another level of calculus, that makes three levels of calc, I doubt I will really use them but oh well.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
vulture
Forum Gatekeeper

[*] posted on 5-9-2004 at 07:52

I first said, blah, maths, never going to need it.
It does make your life much easier when solving kinetics or thermodynamic problems.

One shouldn't accept or resort to the mutilation of science to appease the mentally impaired.
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 5-9-2004 at 09:25
Math

Vulture, like you, I said I would never need any of the mathematics I had to
take. But lo and behold - to me at least, the easiest way to learning math
was finding a practical application for it ! For example, I took a course in
differential equations and at 1st I thought there would never be a
practical application for it. WHOA ! This kid was in for a shock or 2 !

Do you remember the L-R-C(actuallly 1/C) circuit ? I showed it to 1 of
my engineering friends at the DoD contractor I worked for. He said it
was the definition of a "bandpass" filter. So I reviewed the "side"
equations in my textbook - specifically what RFs were filtered in the
process. With a table on television RFs I learned to construct a CABLE
filter ! Worked like a charm ! The inductor sets the RF range(based on the
number of turns), the variable resistor and variable capacitor fine tune
the filter to the interferring signal. MUHAHAHAHA, free cable !
Unfortunately, the cable company dropped that scrambling scheme !
More math and more exploration needed !

I will NEVER, EVER put down a math course again !

Drax, find that practical application that works for you ! As far as chemistry
is concerned you may need to learn the growth/decay equation:
e^(-kt) + original conditions. This is a 1st order differential equation.

To everbody else, if I've erred in any way in this post, please don't hesitate
to flame my ass and correct me !

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !

Go To Top