Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Concentrated Hydrogen Peroxide in Australia
skeletal-clown
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-7-2013 at 03:33
Concentrated Hydrogen Peroxide in Australia

Firstly, I apologise if this has already been discussed. I did quite a search and couldn't find anything relevant to Australia.

So, my question: Does anybody know where to buy concentrated H2O2 in Australia, preferably OTC? (25% concentration or greater). The most I've been able to find OTC is 3% and it's also quite expensive. ($6 for 200mL).
Also, if I have no choice but to buy online, what suppliers do you recommend, and what is a good price to pay for say, 500mL to 100mL?
Thanks in advance for any and all help!
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 18-7-2013 at 04:02

I also did a search ─ 8 seconds worth . . .

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"

A Einstein
skeletal-clown
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-7-2013 at 04:16

Yes, I know it's available on Ebay. But 1. I'd much rather an OTC source, and 2. I clearly stated, that as far as online sources are concerned, I was only interested in what other members think is a reasonable price, and what suppliers they personally use.
I have searched extensively on this forum and found no threads discussing this topic. I have found several ONLINE suppliers which are either in Australia or prepared to ship here. Most of these suppliers however, are selling their H2O2 as a disinfectant or for "health purposes" of dubious worth, and as such, the prices could be very different to what other suppliers who are selling it for chemistry purposes may charge. (hence my question about typical prices).

So in summation, I'm sorry if my post seemed unresearched, but I have actually done extensive reading on this topic, and was simply wondering if any members here had some input (again, preferably about OTC sources rather than ebay).
Pulverulescent
National Hazard

Mood: Torn between two monikers ─ "hissingnoise" and the present incarnation!

[*] posted on 18-7-2013 at 04:29

Well, that seller has 100% rating?
And ebay's where I got mine (35% food grade)!

"I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones"

A Einstein
skeletal-clown
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-7-2013 at 04:32

Alright, thanks for your experience! If I can't find a source that's not online I'll certainly check them out.
nux vomica
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-7-2013 at 04:35

Hydroponic shops sell it[url=http://justhydroponics.com.au/products/Oxy_Plus_1_Ltr-589-4.html] cheers.
skeletal-clown
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-7-2013 at 04:42

Oh wow, thank you. 50% H2O2? that seems quite full on. I'll have to see if I can get an MSDS from them, at that concentration there's probably other ingredients present as well.
nux vomica
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-7-2013 at 04:46

Its just diluted down from a higher concentration with distilled water I think.:D
skeletal-clown
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-7-2013 at 04:57

H2O2 Is very unstable at higher concentrations. Anywhere above 35% (and even lower), or so can be very dangerous as it's a potent oxidizing agent. It's rarely even produced at concentrations above 35%. In fact, liquid fuel rockets use 90% H2O2 as a propellant, that's how unstable it can be at high concentrations. I've sent an inquiry as to an MSDS and will get back to you when It's answered.
Hexavalent
International Hazard

Mood: Pericyclic

[*] posted on 18-7-2013 at 05:07

I recently purchased 500 mL of 30% hydrogen peroxide, sold OTC as a wood lightening/bleaching agent.

"Success is going from failure to failure without loss of enthusiasm." Winston Churchill
skeletal-clown
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-7-2013 at 05:09

That's an interesting idea, I'll have to check out the carpentry area of our hardware store.
hyfalcon
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-7-2013 at 12:24

Pool shops will have it. Here in the States it's brand name is Baquacil. It will be one of the chlorine free pool sanitizers.

http://www.yardandpool.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=84...
Oscilllator
National Hazard

[*] posted on 20-7-2013 at 01:50

Wow! what a co-incidence, I live literally 5 minutes drive from medlow bath, which is the place that Pulverulescent linked to. Cheers Pulverulescent!

Gearhead_Shem_Tov
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-7-2013 at 09:00

Quote: Originally posted by skeletal-clown  
...Does anybody know where to buy concentrated H2O2 in Australia, preferably OTC? (25% concentration or greater). The most I've been able to find OTC is 3% and it's also quite expensive. ($6 for 200mL). ...

Here in Adelaide I've recently noted Mitre 10 now stocks Momar 10% H2O2. I believe it was about $45 for a litre. I can't seem to find it on their website at the moment, so I'll have a squiz at the Momar stuff next time I go to the store.

-Bobby
Gearhead_Shem_Tov
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-7-2013 at 21:28
Momar Hyrogen Peroxide

I visited Mitre 10 a few days ago, and 1 litre of Momar H2O2 solution (100g/L it says) is $39.95AU. It's called "Drain Ox" and is claimed to be a "Stabilised Bio-Oxidant," whatever that is. The MSDS calls it Dioxidodihydrogen :) and says it's 10–20% peroxide by weight. It doesn't say anything about what, if any, stabiliser(s) might be present. It does quote a BP of 216ºF (a smidgen over 102ºC), a SG of 1.03, and a pH in the range of 4.0–6.0, if that's any help.

-Bobby
skeletal-clown
Harmless

[*] posted on 24-7-2013 at 00:22

Most interesting, I'll certainly check this out, although I'd probably rather buy a higher concentration online for the same price.

@nux_vomica: I got a reply from that hydroponics company with the MSDS attached. It claims "20-60% H2O2", and "80-40% H2O", with no other listed additives. This is certainly interesting given the low price, but the difference in concentration from 20-60% is quite huge. I'm considering buying a bottle just to test it's actual concentration.
DrSchnufflez
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-7-2013 at 00:26

Has anyone tried getting it from anpros? I've emailed them and they said that they sell to private persons.
Here's a link if anyone is interested 35% Hydrogen Peroxide
enhzflep
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 24-7-2013 at 00:37

I've bought the stuff that nux vomica linked to (OxyPlus - 50%) about 5 or 6 years ago from a hydroponics shop.
At the time, it was about $13/500ml. I stored it in the freezer for all but the last year. I believe it's usual to chuck in a bit of phosphoric acid as a stabilizer. I check the bottle every month or two, finding that very little if any pressure has built up from decomposition. (I swapped the vented caps for non-vented ones)

It was nothing short of magic for producing Piranha solution and for precipitating gold from a sodium gold cyanide solution.
It makes a rather nice pcb etchant when mixed with HCL, too.

[Edited on 24-7-2013 by enhzflep]

Go To Top