Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Amides from Nitriles
Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

Mood: alive

[*] posted on 18-7-2013 at 10:09
Amides from Nitriles

The procedure I am referring to comes from the book "Vogel's Textbook of Practical Organic Chemistry, 5th edition"; The experiment number is 6.167, and the page number is 1080. This procedure details the preparation of an aromatic acid amide from an aromatic nitrile. Unfortunately, my organic chemistry is rusty, and I've got a few unresolved questions before I undertake the procedure.

What I'm trying to do is recover the amide from a batch of "tar" that I had previously prepared via an (attempted) isomerization of the aldoxime to an amide. Unfortunately, I was using an impure catalyst and my reaction conditions were less than ideal. I ended up with a brown, viscous goo that did not resemble the amide at all (though I could see white crystalline shards forming in the tar). Recently, a friend of mine has been exploring the synthesis of nitriles via "H. Veisi, Synthesis, 2010, 2631-2635" (preparation of nitriles from aldehyde using TCCA swimming tablets and aq. NH3) and found that his "nitrile" was similar in appearance to my horrendous goo. Upon utilizing this procedure from Vogel, he was able to recover a white precipitate that readily rearranged to an amine via Hofmann rearrangement. Unfortunately, his results have been inconsistent.

My questions are these: First off, I'd like to know what an appropriate molar equivalent of NaOH would be for this reaction. My friend uses 1 M NaOH, but I fear that high concentrations of NaOH could push the nitrile all the way to the carboxylic acid (undesired). If I understand the reaction mechanism correctly, what happens is that the OH- anion partakes in a nucleophilic attack on the cyano-carbon (which is slightly electronegative). This leads to the formation of an imine, which readily reacts with water. The resulting intermediate is prone to forming the amide, because the electronegative oxygen will tend to pull electrons and form the carbonyl double bond. I am confused how H2O2 proceeds to cease this reaction at the amide step. Is it just a matter of [OH] concentration that determines whether there is a nucleophilic attack on the amide? Reviewing the mechanism, I find that after this nucleophilic attack on the amide, the NH2 group is kicked off as an anion. The NH2 anion slowly (this is a slow stop) proceeds to tear a proton off of the intermediate to form the carboxylic acid (and ammonia as a byproduct). Does this mean that I should use an excess of nitrile? The ideal situation would be to perform an experiment with different NaOH concentrations, but I only have a little "nitrile." I don't even know for sure if there is nitrile present.

My final question is less pressing. I don't have access to 30% H2O2, and I'd rather not work with it at the moment. I plan to perform this reaction on the 10-50 mmol scale anyways. Will 3% H2O2 significantly impair the speed of the reaction? I have seen people slowly boiling off water from drug store H2O2, so I think it might be possible for me to reach 6-9%, but my equipment (a cooking stove, essentially) is not suitable for boiling for a prolonged period of time.
solo
International Hazard

Mood: ....getting old and drowning in a sea of knowledge

[*] posted on 18-7-2013 at 10:20

Reference Information

THE TRANSFORMATION OF NITRILES INTO AMIDES
USING SODIUM PERCARBONATE

George W. Kabalka , Sunil M. Deshpande
SYNTHETIC COMMUNICATIONS
20(10), 1445-1451 (1990)

Abstract
The usefulness of sodium percarbonate, an inexpensive,
safe and easily handled reagent for the transformation
of nitriles into amides was investigated. Aromatic nitriles
lacking ortho-substituents and heteroaromatic nitriles were
efficiently transformed into amides; while ortho-substituted
aromatic nitriles and aliphatic nitriles gave moderate yields
of the corresponding amides.

Note:
Sodium percarbonate is produced industrially by reaction of sodium carbonate and hydrogen peroxide, followed by crystallization. Also, dry sodium carbonate may be treated directly with concentrated hydrogen peroxide solution. World production capacity of this compound was estimated at several hundred thousand tonnes for 2004.[3] It can be obtained in the laboratory by treating the two substances in aqueous solution with proper control of the pH[4] or concentrations.

.....source,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_percarbonate

Attachment: THE TRANSFORMATION OF NITRILES INTO AMIDES USING SODIUM PERCARBONATE.pdf (216kB)
This file has been downloaded 1453 times

[Edited on 18-7-2013 by solo]

It's better to die on your feet, than live on your knees....Emiliano Zapata.
Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-7-2013 at 12:24

Thanks solo! That is very interesting. I found another reference using K2CO3/DMSO. I'm not sure what journal it is from.

Here is the link: Efficient Conversion of Nitriles to Amides with Basic Hydrogen Peroxide in Dimethyl Sulfoxide

Is percarbonate commercially available (to the OTC experimenter)? I probably cannot prepare it myself because I do not have concentrated H2O2, but I might be able to purchase it.
watson.fawkes
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 18-7-2013 at 16:46

Quote: Originally posted by Rich_Insane  
Is percarbonate commercially available (to the OTC experimenter)?
Many chlorine-free laundry bleaches use percarbonates. Check the MSDS to see what else is in these formulations.
solo
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-7-2013 at 17:01

.....as per watson.fawkes suggestion i found this,

Wood Deck Cleaner and Stain Remover
Sodium Percarbonate
Soda Ash
Sodium Tripolyphosphate
Total

Institutional Laundry Bleach
Sodium Percarbonate
Soda Ash
Total

Rich_Insane
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-7-2013 at 18:15

Wonderful. This means that I won't be needing that pesky conc. H2O2.

On another note, I boiled the infamous "goo" with water last night (it is water insoluble) to melt the goo and transfer it to a beaker... I am noticing a huge population of colorless needle-like crystals. I can't be certain that this is the desired amide (the reaction that this batch came from intended to produce amide from oxime, and previous trials demonstrated success albeit with low yield), but I need to separate it from the goo. Normally, I'd just heat water to boiling and use the water as a solvent for the amide, which is soluble in hot water.

Unfortunately, this goo melts in boiling water, and it has a tendency to float on water. How should I go about isolating the crystalline material from the suspect nitrile? I was thinking of boiling with water and decanting bit by bit the water (replacing water when it runs too low) and then purifying the crude crystals via recrystallization from water... Any other suggestions?

Oh, and for those of you interested, I found that sodium percarbonate is readily available on Ebay for a relatively low price ($2.99 for 1/2 lb + S&H).

[Edited on 19-7-2013 by Rich_Insane]
solo
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-7-2013 at 18:40

.....the oily stuff wont go through a filter as easily as hot water, do this and recover the water and allow to cool to get the amide....check the MP to assure youself you have the amide desired.....solo

solo
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-7-2013 at 19:51

Reference Information

Direct Oxidative Conversion of Alcohols, Amines, Aldehydes, and Benzyl Halides into the Corresponding Nitriles with Trichloroisocyanuric Acid in Aqueous Ammonia
H. Veisi
Synthesis
2010, 2631-2635.

Attachment: Direct Oxidative Conversion of Alcohols, Amines, Aldehydes, and Benzyl Halides into the Corresponding Nitriles with Tric (115kB)
This file has been downloaded 1981 times

Go To Top