Sciencemadness Discussion Board
Not logged in [Login ]
Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5
Author: Subject: A project everyone can pitch in on! Writing the book on chemistry.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 9-9-2004 at 17:59
A project everyone can pitch in on! Writing the book on chemistry.

About two months ago I got the idea to write a little section on distillation for my website. However once I finished writing it I realized it was a gateway topic, that I had to continue to branch out, it has grown into my book project.

The purpose of this project is to create the perfect book for the at home chemist. Things written by people who have done what they write about (mostly) and just interesting information in general. Real life experiences and lots and lots of pictures like the old chemistry books that I used to like.

There are people that have said I'm reinventing the wheel, and to some extent that is true. But it's all the information in one place written for the at home chemist is where this project should shine, along with real life stories scattered through out and improvisations of lab techniques and equipment.

The topic list is quite extensive as is what is already done. Some people have pitched in (those I U2U'd, don't feel bad if you didn't get a U2U) And the project is already a 100 page PDF (although the charts and especially elements section take up quite a bit) I'm looking for people that want to contribute to this project. Post here or contact me via U2U if you're interested.

I have a HTML version and a PDF version at:
http://www.destructve.com/bromicacid/bookprogress.htm

One thing, there is not going to be a focus on energetic materials. You can write for whatever section you want, even if there is already something written, I can incorporate it. Since this should take till at least January there is currently no need for proofreaders.

Anyway, I hope this project turns out and I look foreword to working with all of you!

Edit: That page that I linked to has the complete index without loading the whole book and I will update information there, however here is a direct link to the book project PDF and here is one to the HTML version.

[Edited on 9/10/2004 by BromicAcid]

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 9-9-2004 at 18:35

I love that picture.:D

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 9-9-2004 at 18:37

Great stuff Bromic, and collaborators (please speak up!! Else we never know who else to credit!). This was high time, and this book shall go down in the hall of fame (the library)!

Should I write something too? Let this be a democratic judgement.... but please, no, I won't write on the purification of urine from urea! ;)...

Anyway, let's hope that this brings all those budding geniuses out! Of course, actual experimental experiences are desired, rather than theory and conjecture (except for the most obvious stuff I guess) ;)

Advice - have a look at the pdf, it looks SOO much better!

[Edited on 10-9-2004 by chemoleo]

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
Democritus of Abdera
Harmless

Mood: Stone Dead

[*] posted on 9-9-2004 at 19:03

Will the book be open source?

Do not meddle in the affairs of wizards, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.\"--- Marcel Marceau
chemoleo
Biochemicus Energeticus

Mood: crystalline

[*] posted on 9-9-2004 at 19:23

Freely available... undoubtedly.
Open source? Meaning everyone can meddle in it? Only I guess if there is someone checking accuracy etc... which will be bromic, and the various readers I guess...

Never Stop to Begin, and Never Begin to Stop...
Tolerance is good. But not with the intolerant! (Wilhelm Busch)
thunderfvck
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 9-9-2004 at 21:51

Wow, this is a really amazing book so far (bookmarked!). I really don't have time right now to really thoroughly read through it but I love what you've done with the electrolysis section. It's wonderful how you assume the person who is reading it knows nothing - and may not know how/where to start! Very nice. The book really should assume that position I think, that you try to think back to when you first started your hobby and all the things you've needed to do/learn to where you are at this point. Obviously not so much on the theory I guess because with the amount of information you know you could fill many books (maybe a series? :)). But really dealing with the practical side of things and the actual performing of the experiment itself. I love the information you give regarding safety and how you should deal with hazardous gasses and such. Very well done. I'll love to shoot some suggestions but I would really need to look over the whole thing (perhaps this weekend). But I am loving what I'm seeing and am glad someone is compiling their information in this way. I would definitely buy this book once published!

I did think of one thing however, I_am_a_fish's (I hope I got his name right, it looks weird now that I've typed it) sources information, if allowed, would make a nice contribution to your book I think.

Also maybe a chapter dealing with chemistry links/books that you recommend to the new/intermediate/advanced reader! Seeing as how you've read so many...

Anywho, great work! Keep it up!

IvX
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 10-9-2004 at 06:20

Speaking as (though guesing to be)your target audiance:very well done.Specially the photos.

Only thing I can sugest is DjVu :)
JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-9-2004 at 09:55

Very interesting, although there is a lot of similar literature floating around on the internet. I will see what I can contribute, when I have more time and have fully read the progress version.

John W.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-9-2004 at 16:25

Democritus, what would be the advantage of posting this open source? It would be interesting to see how much the text changed over the course of a few years though.

Thanks everyone that supports me, I'm hopping for some good contributions so I don't have to write the bulk of it myself.

Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

Mood: conformation:ga

[*] posted on 10-9-2004 at 16:57
Bromic

Do you ever have those moments when you are thinking of a concept, idea, article or object and you just cannot put the name to it. It's a common name/theme, and you've used it a trillion times before, but for some reason it just won't come out.

Doesn't that drive you nuts?

Anyway, what I meant was, Would the book be freely distributed without any copyrights to infringe upon. I still cannot remember the phrase I am looking for.

:mad:Piss me off.:mad:

H. Tris.

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win: you\'re still retarded.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 10-9-2004 at 17:19

Royalty-Free License?

And yes, this book can be copied, printed, quoted, used in any way shape or form, in pieces or as a whole.

Except to turn a profit :mad:

[Edited on 9/11/2004 by BromicAcid]

IvX
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 12-9-2004 at 23:07

You mean like a GPL or just a copyright wich allows publications to be done for free?

Say bromic, if you want I could have an XML and DjVu version out?Just tell me what tags to use for the XML :)
tokat
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 18-9-2004 at 17:20

This site has 100,000+ componds
http://www.orgsyn.org/orgsyn/default.asp?formgroup=base_form...
BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-9-2004 at 17:24

What exactly is XML format?

I plan on making versions of this in any format that I can realistically release, DjVu included, so I can just send you a copy when it's done and you'll convert it over IvX?

JohnWW
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-9-2004 at 17:51

XML, or XHTML, is Extended Hypertext Markup Language. It is an extension of the coding used for web pages.

John W.
IvX
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-9-2004 at 05:45

DjVu ready(though I used libre as I dont have the commerical ones).All I need now is a decent(preferebly linux)FTP client that works with my proxy(using FC1 and gFTP hangs when it connects).

[Edited on 19-9-2004 by IvX]
Oxydro
Hazard to Others

Mood: distracted

[*] posted on 25-9-2004 at 07:07
What XML is

Actually, XML and XHTML are different things. XML is the eXtensible Markup Language. It is similar to HTML, in that it is a tag-based system, but the difference is that it is designed to store data, not to present it like HTML is.

In fact, one of its greatest benefits for the Internet is that it can separate the formatting and presentation code (HTML) from the actual data (XML) to make the process of adding to or changing either the contents or the way it is shown without affecting the other.

While in HTML the tags are things like {head} {/head}, {p}, etc, and are defined in a standard, in XML you create your own tags to fit the data they will store. This means that an XML document is self-descriptive.

(Obviously, I'm using "{}" in place of angle brackets, since the board software parses the tags if I do it otherwise.)

I was going to post an example, but all the tags are eaten by the board software. If there is any interest (I wrote a sample of a document storing information about chemicals) I would be happy to post it on my website where you can visit it.

As much as I believe XML is a thing of the future, I don't think it has a great deal of application when it comes to Bromic's library. Maybe if he adds a larger database of chemicals, it could store the raw data, but as a method to distribute a book, it has little value.

XHTML, on the other hand, does have some value, but really no more than regular HTML. The idea of XHTML (eXtensible HyperText Markup Language) is that it is basically HTML, but with the stronger syntax rules of XML. For example, in HTML some tags such as "{P}" don't need a closing tag, but in XML every opening tag needs a closing tag. So you can either write it as "{p/}" being an open/close tag (not the real name for it, just the only thing I could think of to call it) or you can follow it with "{/p}" at the end of the paragraph.

In short, I see no real gain in making a version in either format. XML could possibly be incorporated into the existing version as a data-storage technique, but other than that, its at its best in good old HTML.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
IvX
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 25-9-2004 at 09:41

Just an offer :)

Hey bromic can you recieve it through e-mail?It's a 2.3 meg file(same with zip)
BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-9-2004 at 16:07

Send away, I've got a gmail account now! :)

Mumbles
Hazard to Others

Mood: Procrastinating

[*] posted on 25-9-2004 at 16:16

All I can say is beautiful. This is one of those things you always have the ideas for, but never the time nor the enthusiasm to complete. It is wonderful to see someone pushing forward on such a daunting task. I'll see if there isn't something I can submit or help out with. I have a nice book on destruction of hazardous chemicals I could excerpt from and rewrite for some common laboratory spills. Most of the laboratory experience I have, many others would have better. I'll try to work something up just for you though.
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Hermes_Trismegistus
National Hazard

Mood: conformation:ga

[*] posted on 26-9-2004 at 09:14

an excellent addition to a book written for the am. Chemist would be a lage and detailed chart showing the chemical resistance of various materials.

All the enamel was eaten off a large porcelain dish while attempting to evaporate an aqueous sol'n of hydroxide in the oven, and various plastics have been dissolved by solvents while attempting to find a suitable container. Stainless steel was quickly oxidised by a costly catalyst I was weighing out.

These mistakes would have been avoided had I had a good chemical resistance chart.

I have found a couple I use but am always on the lookout for more.

I have also completely sworn off plastics which is unfortunately an affect of my lack of knowledge.

If I knew which ones I could use safely and when I could use them, I certainly would, they are quite economic and don't present the same breakage hazard.

So far I have found these following charts.

http://home.planet.nl/~skok/techniques/hplc/resistance.html

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/24_435.html

http://hydraulics.eaton.com/everflex/chem/

http://www.ee.byu.edu/cleanroom/gloves.phtml

Arguing on the internet is like running in the special olympics; even if you win: you\'re still retarded.
BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 26-9-2004 at 18:26

Yes that is definately something that will have to be incorporated, I have a secion for it under materials, just haven't gotten around to writing it. I've got some contributions and I've almost finished a good part of the section on gasses, I will upload an updated version soon.

BromicAcid
International Hazard

[*] posted on 27-9-2004 at 17:27

Posted an updated version of the project. Feel free to take a look at it. Not much has been added but it continues to grow.

What I am in need of are simple procedures for the beginner, complete with amounts of reagents and maybe a picture, although I could supply them. Look at the short experiments that I already have listed after the long one for an example of how I want them to sort of look and read.

But if anyone wants to help with anything drop me a line :)

frogfot
Hazard to Others

Mood: happy

[*] posted on 28-9-2004 at 00:06

Cool, this is very nice project. Many people will be thankful for your efforts.

How about adding a section about fumehoods?
AngelEyes
Hazard to Others

Mood: Better than it used to be.

[*] posted on 28-9-2004 at 06:54

I can't access the following sites:

http://www.destructve.com/bromicacid/bookprogress.htm
http://www.destructve.com/bromicacid/book.htm
http://www.destructve.com/bromicacid/
http://www.destructve.com/

I get either 'page cannot be displayed' or I get redirected to free-email.com.

What's up? Is it my end or is the site actually down?
 Pages:  1    3  ..  5

Go To Top