Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: 20 Energizer Ultimate Lithium (AA) batteries for sale
Sciocrat
Harmless

Mood: Scientifically curious

[*] posted on 25-7-2013 at 07:33
20 Energizer Ultimate Lithium (AA) batteries for sale

As mentioned in the title, I have 20 new AA Energizer Ultimate Lithium batteries for sale (good until 2025). 20€ + about 5€ of shipping costs, if you are in the EU.

For additional information, please contact me via PM.

bfesser
Resident Wikipedian

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 25-7-2013 at 20:44

Is there a reason why you've posted this here? Listings like this belong on eBay.

violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 25-7-2013 at 22:13

well I for one took a look on ebay to see what 20 would cost me here after seeing this post. I paid like 12$ on sale for a 4 pack a while back at a rite-aid. that's probably one of the easiest, any one can harvest, OTC lithium metal source. ( OTC in that you can get it locally, not that this offer is, just for you sticklers out there). so I don't see why you would consider this strictly an ebay thing. ever think maybe Sciocrat found a decent priced source and wanted to share? as many members have passed on deals with other materials... time to weigh the cost to benefit.

compare gallium source
http://www.mcssl.com/store/gallium-source/catalog/search?key...
"080 - Lithium Metal, 99.5%, 100g, Small Barrels 6-10mm x 6mm, Free Shipping! .... $150.00"

it seems as though it is good by first glance, but if you look at it another way its not a great price for the metal...

energizer datasheet
http://data.energizer.com/PDFs/l91.pdf
"Typical Li Content: Less than 1 gram"

you would need >100 batteries for the same Li content, which is also probably less pure. and your not going to get them @ <1$ ea to make up for ripping them all apart. but buying one to open so you can watch the red flame in person IS worth the few dollars for a 2 pack. any how just my 2 cents here
-Violet Sin-

*edit* reagent "Li", acquisition "sale price", seems fairly straight forward

[Edited on 26-7-2013 by violet sin]
testimento
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 26-7-2013 at 05:20

A question about lithium batteries, will the lithium stay as lithium in used lithium batteries? I could get a lot of them from junk bin, but dont know if they are still suitable for ex. drying solvents.
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 26-7-2013 at 11:13

the reactive free metal gives up electrons and becomes oxidized or chemically bound(or both there are a lot of types). not free metal any more so no, they are not going to be suitable to dry solvents. BUT you could have fun with the salts I would say. lithium is used as a medicine for some disorders so it is active. don't go slathering your hands in the salts trying to bust them open!

wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lithium
"In the treatment of bipolar disorder, lithium compounds continue to be the standard against which newer medications are measured.[citation needed] Lithium salts may also be helpful for related diagnoses, such as schizoaffective disorder and cyclic major depression. The active principle in these salts is the lithium ion Li+, although detailed mechanisms are debated.[citation needed]"

if I had access to them I would have fun cracking 'em open SAFELY, to get the salts for flame colorings. other things can be made as well. IIRC lithium salts are used as fluxes and glazes in metal manufacturing and ceramics respectively. but like said above be super careful in high temp applications. ya don't wanna accidentally inhale a bunch of fumes that are biologically active in your BRAIN. do a bunch of reading and see if it is in your safe capability first. then weigh the cost/benefit of all the time and clean up. clean up can be a bitch with some things and makes it really not too fun, not sure if this is one of those cases. I'm on my lunch break so did all the searching I am going to do for ya, hope it helps.

the first battery I took apart and got Li out of, I had no way to keep it. all ended up turning to the carbonate in a sealed jar slowly. so I popped some in small pyro compositions while playing with other colors. came up with a cool salmon (pink/orange) color. even though the mixing was poorly conducted the color was constant through the entire burn, which I though was odd, but cool. most importantly it was fun and relatively safe with the small amounts and a nice back wind.

-Violet Sin-

Go To Top