Mood: Awaiting Results....

[*] posted on 17-8-2012 at 14:42

http://www.ilpi.com/glassblowing/tutorial_ampule.html

Your Welcome :)
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 24-6-2015 at 14:38

I bought some 10mL ampules specifically for bromine but also for any other reagents proving difficult to store in regular glass bottles with teflon seals.

I started out to develop some skill at ampuling by using water. I was not having much success. My problems were in keeping the neck evenly heated, determining just when to pull, and then pulling while twisting.

To solve these problems I constructed a turntable. The turntable fits in my stepper motor stirrer, inverted. It is made of two 4" diameter 3/4" discs of plywood. The top disc has a 3/4" diameter hole which just grips the ampule (by luck). The bottom disc has a 1/4" bolt held in place by two nuts. The low speed setting of the stepper motor, 22 rpm, is just right for turning the ampule in the bunsen flame. When the neck starts to wobble and deform I grasp the opening with needle nose pliers and pull straight up.

My first try with water produced a very nice closure. The next one made was filled with bromine. It similarly turned out well. See pictures below. The terrible ones with water were my tries before making the turntable.

I have also attached a "paint" sketch for those wishing to make something similar. I don't know why I chose a 4" diameter. Smaller would work just as well and be much easier to cut with a hole saw.

ampule turntable.jpg - 86kB ampules - water and bromine.JPG - 86kB turntable.bmp - 703kB

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Dr.Bob
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 30-6-2015 at 04:40

I still have some 1 ml glass ampules which I can sell 10 for $12 including postage within the US. I have Weaton brand and another good brand. I also have some 10 ml rubber septa bottles (about 100), complete with nearly new 20 mm crimper and seals, I had offered it to another member here for $150 plys postage, the crimper alone sells for $700 new. Or I can sell a few vials and sela and caps, if you already have a crimper.
Loptr
International Hazard

Mood: Grateful

[*] posted on 30-6-2015 at 10:40

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
I bought some 10mL ampules specifically for bromine but also for any other reagents proving difficult to store in regular glass bottles with teflon seals.

I started out to develop some skill at ampuling by using water. I was not having much success. My problems were in keeping the neck evenly heated, determining just when to pull, and then pulling while twisting.

To solve these problems I constructed a turntable. The turntable fits in my stepper motor stirrer, inverted. It is made of two 4" diameter 3/4" discs of plywood. The top disc has a 3/4" diameter hole which just grips the ampule (by luck). The bottom disc has a 1/4" bolt held in place by two nuts. The low speed setting of the stepper motor, 22 rpm, is just right for turning the ampule in the bunsen flame. When the neck starts to wobble and deform I grasp the opening with needle nose pliers and pull straight up.

My first try with water produced a very nice closure. The next one made was filled with bromine. It similarly turned out well. See pictures below. The terrible ones with water were my tries before making the turntable.

I have also attached a "paint" sketch for those wishing to make something similar. I don't know why I chose a 4" diameter. Smaller would work just as well and be much easier to cut with a hole saw.

I must commend you, Magpie. That is a good looking stirrer. :) I haven't seen a close up picture of it until now.

I am impressed. I have been looking for a reasonably priced stirrer for a while now, and this might more sense... now all that's left is ACTUALLY doing it... the hardest part. ;)
HeYBrO
Hazard to Others

Mood: :)

[*] posted on 12-7-2015 at 04:20

After seeing Magpie's excellent post i thought i would whip something up (which was more of a test of the motor) which created this from a pipette. Simply seal one end, add your sample and seal!

How to be a b0ss.JPG - 2MB
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 12-7-2015 at 09:54

What motor did you use? May we see it?

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
HeYBrO
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 18-7-2015 at 05:31

Oh sorry, I dismantled it after i made the ampule because the ampule spinner was so poorly made (wobbly and skew) :P I'm going to try and fabricate a proper one like yours, so ill give a pic once i build it. The motor was a 12 v motor i obtained from dismantling an old radio. But if you want to make a pipette ampule spinner, this particular pen gripped standard pipettes with sufficient force to keep it in place while spinner (fits perfectly). Essentially, i cut a 4-5 cm piece of pen, hot glued it to the motor and used my variable dc supply to run the motor at a low rpm. created a nice seal despite the dodgy set up.

Bic_Round_Stick_Medium_1_0_mm.jpg - 40kB
HeYBrO
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 19-11-2015 at 05:39

Quote: Originally posted by Magpie  
What motor did you use? May we see it?

If you're still interested i built a new one from a broken drill. Hope you like! (not meant to be an advertisement)

ampoule.jpg - 1.4MB

[Edited on 19-11-2015 by HeYBrO]
okayenergy
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 4-12-2017 at 22:20
Easy and safety Oxyhydrogen sealing ampoules -ampoule sealing torch

We have designed a kind ampoule sealing torch to seal quartz and ampoule glass tube very fastly and safely.I would like to show our sealing effect.
http://www.okayenergy.com/video/sealing-video/oh200-bottle-t...

ampoule sealing torch.jpg - 30kB quartz glass tube melting.jpg - 71kB quartz glass tubing sealing.png - 175kB quartz glass tube sealing machine.jpg - 99kB

[Edited on 5-12-2017 by okayenergy]
Chemetix
Hazard to Others

Mood: Wavering between lucidity and madness

[*] posted on 5-12-2017 at 01:30

I had a bit of ampuling to do, this was my solution
I know this is a bit of a dead post but...

Attachment: Videoampuleshort.avi (2.7MB)
This file has been downloaded 835 times

[Edited on 5-12-2017 by Chemetix]

[Edited on 5-12-2017 by Chemetix]
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top