Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Conversion of potassium dichromate to ammonium dichromate
blogfast25
International Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 09:27
Conversion of potassium dichromate to ammonium dichromate

In the UK, ammonium dichromate is now all but outlawed from what I understand. Potassium dichromate is likely to follow shortly but at least that compound is not beyond the synthesis capability of many a home chemist.

Ideas on how to convert K<sub>2</sub>Cr<sub>2</sub>O<sub>7</sub> into (NH<sub>4</sub>;)<sub>2</sub>Cr<sub>2</sub>O<sub>7</sub> would be welcome.

<!-- bfesser_edit_tag -->[<a href="u2u.php?action=send&username=bfesser">bfesser</a>: subscript/superscript]

[Edited on 2.8.13 by bfesser]

AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 11:44

Blogfast:

Here is a suggested preparation route based on my research. First prepare CrO<sub>3</sub>, the anyhydride of Chromic acid, whose preparation per this source (http://chromium.atomistry.com/chromium_trioxide.html ) is described as follows:

"Chromium Trioxide, Chromic Anhydride, CrO<sub>3</sub>, was first obtained by Unverdorben by the interaction of chromyl fluoride and water. It is usually prepared by the action of concentrated sulphuric acid on solutions of a chromate, usually of potassium dichromate. Zettnow recommends that 300 grams of potassium dichromate be warmed until dissolved with 500 c.c. of water after the addition of 420 c.c. of concentrated sulphuric acid; after standing for ten to twelve hours, the liquid is poured away from the potassium hydrogen sulphate crystals that have separated, heated to 80° to 90° C., and 150 c.c. of concentrated sulphuric acid added, then water, a few drops at a time, until the chromium trioxide crystals which separate at first are just redissolved. Crystals are allowed to deposit during twelve hours, and subsequently, after concentration, they are collected upon a platinum, asbestos, or pumice-stone filter, and washed with pure nitric acid of density 1.46. The crystals are then mixed with a little concentrated nitric acid, and dried upon a porous plate, the process being repeated until the product is quite free from potassium sulphate and sulphuric acid. The potassium sulphate may also be removed as potassium alum by addition of aluminium sulphate, and the sulphuric acid separated by fusion. The crystals are freed from nitric acid by warming, preferably in a current of dry air in a tube at 60° to 80° C. Other methods of formation are by the action of concentrated sulphuric acid upon lead chromate; from barium and strontium chromates by the action of sulphuric acid or nitric acid; by the action of chlorine, or of hydrochloric acid upon silver chromate."

Next, per this link http://chromium.atomistry.com/ammonium_chromate.html , to quote:

"Ammonium Chromate, (NH<sub>4</sub>;)<sub>2</sub>CrO<sub>4</sub>, is formed when a solution of chromic acid is neutralised by ammonia, and the mixture evaporated. It yields golden-yellow needles (monoclinic prisms):

a:b:c = 1.9603:1:1.2226; β = 115° 13',

of density 1.886, and soluble in water. On heating or on exposure to air they decompose, evolving ammonia, and form the dichromate:

2(NH<sub>4</sub>;)<sub>2</sub>CrO<sub>4</sub> = (NH<sub>4</sub>;)<sub>2</sub>Cr<sub>2</sub>O<sub>7</sub> + 2NH<sub>3</sub> + H<sub>2</sub>O"

Hope this helps.

<!-- bfesser_edit_tag -->[<a href="u2u.php?action=send&username=bfesser">bfesser</a>: subscript/superscript]

unionised
International Hazard

Member Is Online

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 11:51

That would be one approach.
A less suicidally hazardous way would be to make Na<sub>2</sub>CrO<sub>7</sub> instead of the K salt, dissolve it in water, add ammonium chloride, let the ammonium salt crystallise and then clean it up by recrystalisation.

blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 12:32

Yes, NaCl is much more soluble at 0 C than (NH<sub>4</sub>;)<sub>2</sub>Cr<sub>2</sub>O<sub>7</sub>. A few recrystallisations would do it.

AJ: dichromate synth from Cr(III) and a real base like NaOH or KOH is much simpler than via CrO<sub>3</sub>.

<!-- bfesser_edit_tag -->[<a href="u2u.php?action=send&username=bfesser">bfesser</a>: subscript/superscript, removed unnecessary quotation]

AJKOER
Radically Dubious

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 14:04

I agree with the comments as CrO<sub>3</sub> is properly described as highly toxic, corrosive, and carcinogenic although remains more popular in older textbooks being a powerful oxidizer (readers be wary).

However, assuming one has to start with the Potassium salt due to availability, my concern (perhaps unfounded, just based on experience working with NH<sub>4</sub> salts) centers around the tendency of ammonia to readily form double salts (Potassium ammonium...), hence the more direct (and unsafe) approach employing Chromic acid. Having access to a Sodium salt would obviate this argument.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

My personal manner to prepare (still unsafe) is to add aqueous H<sub>2</sub>C<sub>2</sub>O<sub>4</sub> to nearly any available dichromate salt, filter out the insoluble oxalate or, more safe, just pour out the clear solution into an excess of aqueous ammonia. Let evaporate and expose to air and/or gently heat to form ammonium dichromate.

S.C. Wack
bibliomaster

Mood: Enhanced

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 17:18

CrO<sub>3</sub> is relatively benign IME. It's no benzidine.

An abstract in JCS 88ii, 707 (1905) kind of suggests that either salt is OK:
Potassium or sodium dichromate (1 mol.) is heated in aqueous solution with ammonium chloride (2 mols.) until the liquid assumes a deep garnet red colour. After evaporating to half its bulk, the solution deposits in one or two days deep garnet-red needle shaped crystals of ammonium dichromate,

"You're going to be all right, kid...Everything's under control." Yossarian, to Snowden
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 1-8-2013 at 19:55

Outside chance the K<sub>2</sub>Cr<sub>2</sub>O<sub>7</sub> - (NH<sub>3</sub>;)<sub>2</sub>SO<sub>4</sub> system might work. K<sub>2</sub>SO<sub>4</sub> is lower solubility than the other three possibilities, but it's not much less than K<sub>2</sub>Cr<sub>2</sub>O<sub>7</sub>, so it may be a challenge to crystallize (for example, it may exhibit a eutectic sort of behavior as the solvent evaporates).

Doing it at high pH (chromate) should be successful, as K<sub>2</sub>CrO<sub>4</sub> is quite soluble.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Bezaleel
Hazard to Others

Mood: transitional

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 02:09
No K2Cr2O7 crystallising from solution

Maybe this is a good moment to share an experience in my attempt to synthesize CrO<sub>3</sub>.

CrCl<sub>3</sub> soluiton was treated with NaOH solution, and the precipitate vacuum filtered, washed once and vacuum filtered again (coarse fritte, as huge size as available, to reduce filtering time).

Cr(OH)<sub>3</sub> lumps were put in a beaker and bleach added through a filter (to keep as much residue out as possible, bleach was at least 1 year old). Soda lye solution was added, and the mixture stirred on a magnetic stirrer untill all the Cr(OH)<sub>3</sub> had dissolved. Liquid temperature was about 60 C. A strongly coloured yellow solution of sodium chromate was obtained.

The solution was left to evaporate on the hotplate (liquid temperature was about 40 C) until half the volume had been obtained (bleach used was around 5% solution). Next the pH was lowered with HCl solution to around 3. A colour shift towards orange was observed near pH = 6. Take care here, to put some cottonwool in the beaker while allowing the HCl solution to drip in drip by drip under stirring (don't heat!!!) Excess chlorine and CO<sub>2</sub> absorbed from the air in the previous steps were released; cottonwool is imperative to absorb aerosols containing hexavalent chromium. (Keep your environment clean, and the air in particular.) Note that there is a considerable heat-up in this step (40 to 50 C temperature raise observed).

Finally a concentrated solution of KCl was added to the solution, expecting K<sub>2</sub>Cr<sub>2</sub>O<sub>7</sub> to crystallise out. This did NOT happen. Instead, after continuing evaporation at 40 C liquid temperature, NaCl and/or KCl crystallised out in square crystals.

If you look up the respective solubilities of Na<sub>2</sub>Cr<sub>2</sub>O<sub>7</sub>, K<sub>2</sub>Cr<sub>2</sub>O<sub>7</sub>, NaCl, KCl, NaClO<sub>3</sub>, KClO<sub>3</sub>, Na<sub>2</sub>CO<sub>3</sub>, and K<sub>2</sub>CO<sub>3</sub>, the (molar) solubility of K<sub>2</sub>Cr<sub>2</sub>O<sub>7</sub> is by far the lowest of all these (liquid temperature is around 25 C). Why the K<sub>2</sub>Cr<sub>2</sub>O<sub>7</sub> doesn’t crystallise out is a mystery to me.

The final step I wanted to do was to add H<sub>2</sub>SO<sub>4</sub> to the crystallised K<sub>2</sub>Cr<sub>2</sub>O<sub>7</sub>.

Further steps
This solution has been standing around for half a week now, but nothing has changed. I think I will add NaOH until the yellow colour reappears, and then add BaCl<sub>2</sub> solution to it. BaCrO<sub>4</sub> is as insoluble as BaSO<sub>4</sub>, so this should work. In order to get conversion of Ba(OH)<sub>2</sub> to the chromate, stirring the heated solution may be a good idea.

I wonder whether I may obtain a solution of CrO<sub>3</sub> when adding a stoichiometrc amount of H<sub>2</sub>SO<sub>4</sub> to the BaCrO<sub>4</sub>. A solution of CrO<sub>3</sub> will do in my case.

plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 04:04

Finally something still very easily available in Canada that is outlawed in other country, don't get me wrong, gennerally stuff you can't get easily in Canada are available throughout the world. Anyone with 150 CAD can buy 2.5 kg of one or other dichromate, and be shipped. When I say everyone, it include minors...

I can only think to one way from K dichromate to NH<sub>4</sub> dichromate. Make K chromate with KOH and add a soluble solution of strontium salt. Filter the strontium chromate. Boil a solution of ammonium bisulphate with the strontium chromate and filter while hot to get the dichromate crystals . However I can think fast to a way to turn chromite ore/Cr<sub>2</sub>O<sub>3</sub> into NH<sub>4</sub> dichromate.

Melt calcium/barium nitrate/sodium (barium works better) at high heat and add the chromium source througly melt for an hour and dissolve the solubles, decant and add ammonium salt of your choice (not sulphate) and boil till crystals form (ammonia gas will escape) . Put it the cold to crystalise the dichromate.

Reference: My personal work.

I never asked for this.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 04:48

@Tim: at high pH that's gonna stink!

@Bezaleel: highly unusual, indeed! But I think adding a concentrated solution of KCl was a mistake. Just acidifying with HCl would yield the dichromate, without an ocean of KCl... Your bleach also turns to chloride, you just seem to have far too much Cl- in there!

@Plante: hmmm... not sure I'd want to get barium involved here: it'll be a job and a half to fully recover it. I think Cr source + NaOH + Na(ClO<sub>3</sub>,NO<sub>3</sub>;) + heat, leaching + HCl + NH<sub>4</sub>Cl might stand a good chance though, because acc. wiki's solubility table Na<sub>2</sub>Cr<sub>2</sub>O<sub>7</sub> is highly soluble even cold.

[Edited on 2-8-2013 by blogfast25]

plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 05:03

No need for NaOH. Only bare nitrate digest the chromium oxide. It directly make dichromate when done this way.

I never asked for this.
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 07:42

i know a guy in the UK who sells ''lead chromate'' i then realised that it wasnt chromate, but DICHROMATE
i think it was 6£ for 200g
looks dangerously alot like bacon powder (=
i believe converting it into the lead salt could perhaps be a good idea as most lead salts arent very soluble, PbCl<sub>2</sub> (if considering NH<sub>4</sub>Cl) is 0.67/100 mL @ 20&deg;C

(NH<sub>4</sub>;)<sub>2</sub>CO<sub>3</sub> could be used for this then..

Pb(Cr<sub>2</sub>O<sub>7</sub>;)<sub>2</sub> + (NH<sub>4</sub>;)<sub>2</sub>CO<sub>3</sub> > PbCO<sub>3</sub> (s) + NH<sub>4</sub>Cr<sub>2</sub>O<sub>7</sub>

<!-- bfesser_edit_tag -->[<a href="u2u.php?action=send&username=bfesser">bfesser</a>: subscript/superscript; *&rarr;&deg;]

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 08:59

Quote: Originally posted by Antiswat  
i know a guy in the UK who sells ''lead chromate'' i then realised that it wasnt chromate, but DICHROMATE

No, it's very likely to be lead chromate (PbCrO4), which is highly insoluble and a slightly surplus-to-requirements yellow pigment.

Dichromates exist in equilibrium with chromates:

Cr2O72- + H2O < === > 2 CrO42- + 2 H+

This equilibrium shifts to the right in alkaline conditions.

But because PbCrO4 is so insoluble, adding Pb2+ to a dichromate also pulls the equilibrium to the right by precipitation of PbCrO4.

Quote: Originally posted by plante1999  
No need for NaOH. Only bare nitrate digest the chromium oxide. It directly make dichromate when done this way.

Without any alkali?

Here's quite a decent page about chromates from Cr(III)/alkali/nitrate or chlorate fusion:

http://webpages.charter.net/dawill/tmoranwms/Chem_Chromate.h...

... although I don't see the need for KCl if you use KOH instead of NaOH.

Would 'bare nitrate' not be quite wasteful in nitrate? Any textbook mentions alkali + oxidiser although at high temp/forcing conditions air seems to work too.

<!-- bfesser_edit_tag -->[<a href="u2u.php?action=send&username=bfesser">bfesser</a>: merged sequential posts]

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 12:34

Heavy metal dichromates usually are much more soluble than heavy metal chromates.

Using BaCrO4 one can indeed make solutions of CrO3. I once tried adding H2SO4 to a suspension of BaCrO4 in water. This produces an orange solution and a white suspension of BaSO4.

You have an equilibrium:

BaCrO4 <--> Ba(2+) + CrO4(2-)
2CrO4(2-) + 2H(+) <-->>> Cr2O7(2-) + H2O (mostly to the right)

This equilibrium is driven to the right by means of the following equlibrium:

Ba(2+) + SO4(2-) ---> BaSO4

I never tried with PbCrO4. I am afraid that PbCrO4 is so insoluble that this does not convert to dichromate on addition of H2SO4, but I never tried personally.

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 17:27

It depend if you value nitrate. Dichromate can be more valuable depending on the case.

2 KNO<sub>3</sub> + Cr<sub>2</sub>O<sub>3</sub> --> K<sub>2</sub>Cr<sub>2</sub>O<sub>7</sub> + 2 NO

Dirrecly dichromate, and my personnal work prove this too.

<!-- bfesser_edit_tag -->[<a href="u2u.php?action=send&username=bfesser">bfesser</a>: rxn. eqn. cleanup]

[Edited on 3.8.13 by bfesser]

I never asked for this.
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 2-8-2013 at 21:14

As for synthesis, I find simply cooking chrome oxide with a chlorate suffices. Base is unnecessary, and if you use a slight excess of KClO3, a source of potassium is not required (of course). Some HCl, Cl2 and O2 is released in the reaction; perform it outdoors. Obviously, if you use NaClO3, you get the soluble sodium salt, which is more amenable to further reactions, like precipitating the ammonium salt.

My experience is with chlorates, but I'm sure nitrates work just as well. Anyone with Cr2O3 and NaNO3 could give it a shot and see if it works.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Thread Split
2-8-2013 at 21:16
plastics
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 3-8-2013 at 01:45

Fairly straightforward synthesis of CrO3 ('Preparation 62'). Tried it myself. Remember not to use standard filter paper to isolate the crystals!

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=6116
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-8-2013 at 06:42

<del>@bfesser: what does 'split thread' mean? Split into what and where?</del>

@plante and 12AX7: that's really interesting. The only snag is that chlorates and nitrates will become increasingly difficult to obtain in the EU, due to more chemophobic legislation being brought on.

@12AX7: the link I brought up higher up is one of your pages, is it not? Yet it prescribes alkali?

[Edited on 3-8-2013 by blogfast25]

<!-- bfesser_edit_tag -->[<a href="u2u.php?action=send&username=bfesser">bfesser</a>: del, off-topic question answered <a href="viewthread.php?tid=25472">elsewhere</a>]

[Edited on 3.8.13 by bfesser]

plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-8-2013 at 07:56

Blogfast, I have tried a 1/1 mix of sodium/calcium hydroxide, chromium source and air, it take a while, but eventually all dissolve.

I never asked for this.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Thread Split
3-8-2013 at 08:18
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-8-2013 at 08:31

Blogfast, I have tried a 1/1 mix of sodium/calcium hydroxide, chromium source and air, it take a while, but eventually all dissolve.

What's the idea with the slaked lime? Higher melt temperature?

1/1 molar or 1/1 w/w?

bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Thread Split
3-8-2013 at 08:50
plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-8-2013 at 09:07

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  

What's the idea with the slaked lime? Higher melt temperature?

1/1 molar or 1/1 w/w?

1/1 molar, to cheapen the cost and increase Oxygen absorption, in industry I believe pure calcium oxide is used because they have very high temp furnace.

I never asked for this.
bfesser
Resident Wikipedian
Thread Split
3-8-2013 at 09:53
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-8-2013 at 11:46

Any idea how the lime increases oxygen absorption? Or any references that confirm that?

plante1999
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-8-2013 at 11:54

Peroxide formation maybe?

I will try to find a reference.

I never asked for this.
blogfast25
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-8-2013 at 13:28

These roastings of chromite/chrome sources with alkali in air are all done in rotary kilns: that points to very long residence times of the reagent mixture in the furnace.

One industrial process I found uses Na2CO3 (ash), Chromite (Fe/Cr oxidic ore) and Dolomite (presumably a carrier - increases specific surface area of the mix) in a cement kiln. After roasting the 'klinker' is then ground and water leached for NaCr2O4. Acidification with CO2 under pressure and cooling drops out bicar and leaves a Na2Cr2O7 solution.

Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 3-8-2013 at 13:46

Quote: Originally posted by blogfast25  
Quote: Originally posted by Antiswat  

No, it's very likely to be lead chromate (PbCrO4), which is highly insoluble and a slightly surplus-to-requirements yellow pigment.

Dichromates exist in equilibrium with chromates:

Cr2O72- + H2O < === > 2 CrO42- + 2 H+

This equilibrium shifts to the right in alkaline conditions.

But because PbCrO4 is so insoluble, adding Pb2+ to a dichromate also pulls the equilibrium to the right by precipitation of PbCrO4.

mmm well i cant say anything else but that its pure orange, in which shocked me abit when i looked up pictures of lead chromate, in which is yellow alike any other chromate
but what i have 200g of is orange
i dont see how you can miscolour lead dichromate, or well lead chromate, or why
im quite sure it is lead dichromate, he doesnt always really give many fucks about the titles he smacks on the bags he sells with chemicals and heatsealing

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top