Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Safety equipment
quantumchromodynamics
Hazard to Self

Mood: tired but still trying

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 12:45
safety consciousness

I continue to experiment with HF HV devices. It is interesting how HF HV safety precautions are analogous to chemistry precautions.

In HV you always do a full set of measurements with a low voltage excitement in order to verify your setup and comprehension is expected. The chemical analogy is to perform miniature test reactions.

When HV is online you must always be aware of where both of your hands are, and only manipulate the system with one hand. This sounds simple but it requires discipline. For example, you can't lean on something with one hand and move a wire with the other hand. In any lab work it seems important to always be conscious of both hands. This definitely applies to the chemistry of energetic materials.

For me, the most important safety precaution is a kind of mental check. Always move slowly, and if you get confused, or something random pops into your head immediately stop moving and think. Always reserve the option not to do something. You can always wait a few extra seconds to think. If you feel so tired or time constrained that a few extra seconds is wasting time, then shut everything down and go do something else.

[Edited on 2-11-2013 by quantumchromodynamics]
Magpie
lab constructor

Mood: Chemistry: the subtle science.

[*] posted on 2-11-2013 at 13:21

Excellent analogy, quantum. I have been working with a high pressure Hg arc tube recently that produces UV light that will burn the retina and skin. I have placed the power switch in a location such that I cannot see this light except by its reflection from a dark irregular surface.

Another good check is to fully assemble any complicated apparatus before loading any chemicals and greasing the connections.

A further good precaution is to leak check the apparatus before charging any chemicals. I failed to do this recently and therefore likely wasted a lot of Cl2.

The single most important condition for a successful synthesis is good mixing - Nicodem
Arthur Dent
National Hazard

Mood: entropic

[*] posted on 3-11-2013 at 09:02

Not as elaborate as the eye wash station, a plain "eye bath" kit is only a few bucks and always a good thing to have at hand when working with hazardous chems. Mind the expiration date though, I wouldn't use a solution that's a year older than the actual expiration date.

As for kitty litter, it's awesome cheap and great for spillage (just make sure the bag is open so you don't have to fiddle with it in case of emergency), and empty gallon jugs of water can be used for a saturated solution of sodium bicarbonate to neutralize moderate acid spills. A big glass jar with the contents of 3 or 4 boxes of Cow Brand can also be handy for big nasty acid spills.

As stated by all the previous posters, a full frontal apron, good gloves, good goggles and a full face shield are a must if you're going to play with corrosive stuff.

Beyond that, you'll have to determine what you'll need based on what you want to do. :)

Rob

--- Art is making something out of nothing and selling it. - Frank Zappa ---
ScienceHideout
Hazard to Others

Mood: High Spin

[*] posted on 3-11-2013 at 14:03
Sorry for the delayed reply

Quote: Originally posted by bfesser  
[thred-rez]
Quote: Originally posted by ScienceHideout  
I also have a portable showerhead that I can quickly attatch to the faucet in a matter of seconds to drench myself if needed.
Not a good plan. You'd be surprised how difficult it is to accomplish simple tasks or even complete basic coherent thoughts when your hair is on fire, your face is covered in splattered lye, or you're temporarily blinded by bleach—speaking from experience. If it involved threaded connections; you'd be fucked. I prefer something you can find while drunk, blindfolded, and wearing earplugs; where you can just smash a huge paddle, stomp on a peddle, or pull a giant lever to get drenched in life and limb saving water.

Sorry it took me so long to reply...
It is not a threaded connection- I rigged up a cork to the end to it, so all I have to do is shove it into the end of the sink. It is pretty simple, but I can agree with you that it might be difficult to do in an emergency- however, for now, there is not much of a substitute. Perhaps I could permanently attach a y connector to the faucet, and put a valve on one side, and have the shower head always attached to that. I may do this in the future, but I feel that what I have now is 100000000x better than nothing!

P.S. Arthur- Do you plan on opening your eyewash bottle? Having a bottle sitting there means less packaging to take off when there is an emergency.

[Edited on 3-11-2013 by ScienceHideout]

hey, if you are reading this, I can't U2U, but you are always welcome to send me an email!

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top