Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: drying with sodium metal
WPK0129
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 11-10-2013 at 13:57

Your remote, totalitarian country will let you get sodium metal?
Pyro
International Hazard

[*] posted on 11-10-2013 at 14:13

sodium is surprisingly easy to get if you look properly, ebay has quite a few offers for element collectors, even some Chinese companies will sell you a mere kg or so for a reasonable price. also it can be bought online in East-Europe

all above information is intellectual property of Pyro. :D
ElectroWin
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 11-10-2013 at 16:32

Quote: Originally posted by testimento  
If you ever happen to cross your feet in a remote, totalitarian country as mine is, you'd sell your mother to get some sulfuric acid.

sulfuric acid is so useful that its production is used as a measure of a nation's industrial health. such a pity to be poor dude. does your mom cook and clean house? ;)

sorry, i digress

why not dry with anhydrous CaO?

[Edited on 2013-10-12 by ElectroWin]
PeeWee2000
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 11-10-2013 at 16:48

Indeed sodium is quite easy to get if you look in the right place dont forget its a DEA special surveillance item so dont buy too much at once ;)

“Everything is relative in this world, where change alone endures.”

― Leon Trotsky
FreeMirage
Harmless

Mood: Ecstatic!

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 00:00

Quote: Originally posted by testimento  
Quote: Originally posted by FreeMirage  
Sieves are so cheap... I don't know why anyone would bother with a time consuming distillation.

Sorry to tell, but most people don't live in university labs. If you ever happen to cross your feet in a remote, totalitarian country as mine is, you'd sell your mother to get some sulfuric acid.

You can buy them online for $15-20 a pound and they're re-usable if you're allowed to own an oven in said totalitarian country.

Sodium on the other hand has way better uses than drying solvents and it's a one time use material. Also, it's not even as good at drying as a column of sieves.

Hell, I've got a ton of sieves laying around from some alkoxide reactions I was trying out, I'd sell you a pound shipped for $20 (as long as you aren't in some crazy remote part of the world where shipping packages involves a rogue parachutist).
cal
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 00:45
Sodium

Quote: Originally posted by PeeWee2000  
Indeed sodium is quite easy to get if you look in the right place dont forget its a DEA special surveillance item so dont buy too much at once ;)

Purchased through a Gold refinning supply house there is no watch at all. I have bought 5 lbs at a time.

Thought is an action, which when acted upon becomes work and sometimes art!
Ascaridole
Hazard to Self

Mood: Searching for glass....

[*] posted on 27-10-2013 at 11:13

Just to explain the Magnesium metal method to CaptainPike, the Mg metal reacts with residual water when the mixture is refluxed. Initially you will form Mg(OH)2 + H2 gas and eventually MgO as the water becomes more and more scarce. Eventually the Mg starts to react with the ethanol to form Mg(OEt)2 + H2 gas. The magnesium ethoxide acts as a "getter" to eliminate the last few bits of residual water.

According to purification of Laboratory Chemicals the magnesium method is only done on ethanol at 99% purity. The reason for this (my opinion at least) is that the amount of magnesium needed to pull the 95.5% azeotrope to 99.99% is unreasonable. You will be wasting perfectly good magnesium on removing water that can be easily removed by reflux with CaO or 3A sieves. Also use of the magnesium method to dry ethanol is reserved for highly moisture sensitive reactions such as making alkoxides for reactions very sensitive to water. In those cases the purified ethanol is usually handled via air free techniques.

In industry 200 proof ethanol used for biochemistry is produced by distillation under high vacuum, a very nice and clean product free from benzene and other contaminants can be obtained however it probably is more like 99.9% pure due to absorption of moisture from the air during filling and transport.
testimento
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-10-2013 at 19:03

Quote: Originally posted by FreeMirage  
Hell, I've got a ton of sieves laying around from some alkoxide reactions I was trying out, I'd sell you a pound shipped for $20 (as long as you aren't in some crazy remote part of the world where shipping packages involves a rogue parachutist).

I once tried to look for sieves. One supplier listed them, but it was the same supplier who called the state force after me when I inquired for glass bottles. And hell, I've even got the documents from this left. I'd probably be raided down by special task unit if you'd happen to send those sieves for me. And yes, I live in country where supplying stuff via parachute is cheaper than using the state postal services...

Anyway, drying with NaOH is enough for me so far for ether. :P
Polverone
Now celebrating 21 years of madness
Thread Split
19-11-2014 at 19:45
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top