Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: I have officially quit organic peroxides
Thanatops1s
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 27-8-2013 at 17:48
I have officially quit organic peroxides

I set off 3g of ETN tonight initiated by .3g HMTD. No issues, but I decided that I'm done with organic peroxides. I've had my fun and am capable of making safer things. I figure there's no sense in pushing my luck since I always cleaned well and did my best to ensure stability, I've read too many horror stories. I want to go way out in the middle of nowhere any do a big detonation someday, but for now, I think I'm almost done with energetics and want to just concentrate on other aspects of chemistry.

I will never understand why I hear from so many people "I hate/hated chemistry in school".
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 27-8-2013 at 17:55

I don't think it is the right sub-forum to post this...

I never asked for this.
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 31-8-2013 at 07:13

why people hate chemistry? because chemistry is logical, and the society we live in is against logic, asking questions, reaching agreement and understanding (:

i would partially love to explain to you how you could use something much safer than primaries but it wouldnt be first time for a person to turn their back on it, also youre quitting HE..
why are you quitting HE tho..? just got grey and boring?

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
Dany
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-8-2013 at 08:38

High explosive and energetic materials are like heroin to your brain...once you enter the businesses it is almost impossible to quit. When you become deeply addicted to high explosive you will become obsessed with reading articles, books and so on. You will begin to loose your friend and your social life... so don't worry Antiswat, Thanatops1s will come back soon to the field of HE!

Dany.

CaliusOptimus
Hazard to Self

Mood: Subjectively Objective

[*] posted on 31-8-2013 at 09:21

Cool story bro.
Hennig Brand
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-8-2013 at 09:41

Well if the school systems are anything like the ones here in Canada it is no wonder many young people (especially young males) hate chemistry. Every year when I went through high school, and that was a while ago now, a few chemicals were removed from the chemistry labs. Every year there were greater and greater restrictions on what teachers were allowed to do in the lab with the students. This was all in the name of safety of course. This was a couple decades ago and I was told that it was gradual erosion that had been taking place for years before I went through. I know several courses that had labs previously didn't at the time I went through. I wonder if they even do labs at the local high school anymore. I can't imagine that they are allowed to use much more than food coloring and water at this point. There needs to be a little fire, or explosion, or smells, colors etc in order to capture the imagination and gain interest in the subject material. Some will study anyway no matter how dry and lifeless the theory, but for many (especially boys) it is dry and uninteresting and they simply unplug. BTW, I hated my high school chemistry classes.

"A risk-free world is a very dull world, one from which we are apt to learn little of consequence." -Geerat Vermeij
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 31-8-2013 at 11:56

I am currently at school in Canada, and there is NO chemistry. The most dangerous we did was baking soda + vinegar, and we had gloves, lab coat, goggles AND were under the hood, in case of CO2 "poisoning".

I never asked for this.
Adas
National Hazard

Mood: Sensitive to shock and friction

[*] posted on 1-9-2013 at 11:37

Quote: Originally posted by plante1999  
I am currently at school in Canada, and there is NO chemistry. The most dangerous we did was baking soda + vinegar, and we had gloves, lab coat, goggles AND were under the hood, in case of CO2 "poisoning".

Who the hell is making these restrictions? I wonder if it's a part of the NWO...

Rest In Pieces!
killswitch
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 7-9-2013 at 14:45

Quote: Originally posted by Adas  
Quote: Originally posted by plante1999  

Who the hell is making these restrictions? I wonder if it's a part of the NWO...

You better be kidding about that NWO part.

Anyway, a lot of it may be attributable to budget cuts rather than liability issues. It doesn't get much cheaper than vinegar & baking soda, and the waste can go down the drain. In addition, high school chemistry classes typically only get about 8 hours total for lab time over an entire school year. I went to an insanely good public school, and probably the coolest lab we did was metal exchange with copper sulfate and aluminum foil and measuring the temperature and mass changes.
BOOMBOOM
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-9-2013 at 08:50

I might be able to offer an answer on the school chemistry safety thing: When i was at school in the UK 30 years ago ( one score and ten in American), back in the time when explosives n' stuff were PC; our chem. teacher handed around a bottle of Benzene for everyone to have a sniff and then told us it had just been declared a carcinogen so he had to lock it away. We had copper ink wells so one of the kids "borrowed", a bottle of conc. nitric and loaded the inkwells everyone had to sit still (coughing) because you had to in those days (sit still that is. Coughing and breathing were optional). Then me; well in deciding what to use for colored puffs of smoke for Aladin the school play I decided against the perchlorates and organic nitrates and settled on Ammonium Nitrate with Aluminum powder as a neutral base. Then there was good reason to take out this boys lunch. So we loaded his banana sandwiches with 2 ounces of the stuff wrapped in duct tape with a long 30Amp electrical lead and a length of thin copper wire as the detonator. Got everyone out of the class room, stuck an open book on top to cushion the explosion. A few kids who looked through the classroom windows couldn't see for a few mins due to the blinding flash from the magnesium powder I put in as an enhancer around the 'fuse' to ensure detonation. Those were the days. Ahhhh!

Funny thing when I told some American friends this story from my school days over dinner they claimed explosives have never been PC !?!? ...I wonder if it is the same in Canada?

Thinking may be my Al/AN package may have deflagrated rather than exploded as it pureed(great cooking tip) the banana sandwich on the desk and in little stalactites on the ceiling, disassembled the French book into pages (intact) that floated down around the classroom. The desk was not damaged, there was a fine dust over everywhere (I guess I got the mix wrong; Molar equations were never my strong suit). The kids outside the classroom were deaf for a short time with ringing in their years so may be it was a true detonation?

There were changes to chemical storage and safety protocols. :-) ...but on a positive note I heard a few years ago that the kids were STILL remembering "banana day" when this kid blew up banana sandwiches.

This brings me to my question what are the options to detonate a secondary without a primary? Which secondaries would detonate using my crude hot wire detonator? Not too keen on perchlorates - bit scary!
Fantasma4500
International Hazard

Mood: dangerously practical

[*] posted on 20-9-2013 at 10:02

i know that this whole conspiracy thing is splitting all in halves, but really.. it could be, trying to explain why they might want to fuck up chemistry, not trying to drown this thread in politics..
if the public is scared of what they inhale and exhale, then they would never go as far as handling explosive components in a time of chaos

its about creating a mentality, you see..

i'd say it might be somewhat legit

but damn, i have it sometimes at chemistry in school that im considering to go home and get some more reactive stuff, toluene is not allowed anymore because its carcinogenic, but lets all face it.. nobody lives forever, and when theres so many more toxic things floating about in our air (no im not even gonna go anywhere near conspiracy or politics in this) then i .. i mean..

''CO2 "poisoning". ''
do i even need to say anymore??

~25 drops = 1mL @dH2O viscocity - STP
Truth is ever growing - but without context theres barely any such.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solubility_table
http://www.trimen.pl/witek/calculators/stezenia.html
bismuthate
National Hazard

Mood: self reacting

[*] posted on 30-9-2013 at 12:53

oh no the dreaded CO2 ! thats almost as lame as my last school science experiment. we observed a drop of water evaporate (yeah my school's experiments suck)

I'm not a liar, I'm just an enthusiastic celebrant of opposite day.
I post pictures of chemistry on instagram as bismuthate. http://iconosquare.com/bismuthate
or this viewer if you don't have an instagram (it sucks though) http://web.stagram.com/n/bismuthate

Go To Top