Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: 4 ways to make nitrous oxide
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 31-8-2013 at 11:11

Quote: Originally posted by PeeWee2000  
Heres an old diagram I made when I originally designed my setup.

A lot of the stuff in there is optional all you really need is the tubes and the vessels filled with solution although a gas dispersion ending greatly increases the effectivness. A common example of a gas dispersion ending would be an aquarium bubbler. I suggest you watch NurdRages youtube video on sulfuric acid production for a good example of use of a gas bubbler.

As botonist pointed out you should really invest your time in researching things first. Incase you didnt know UTFSE stands for use the f***ing search engine. Your post on the production of Cl2 gas from NaOCl and HCl is a painful example of your lack of researching :| But your head is in the right place just get ideas and follow them but try to use google before you post as it saves everyone a lot of time! I personally always google whatever it is im thinking about posting + science madness before I post a new thread to make sure that it hasnt already been discussed.

Google really isn't the best thing, since it's known as being a silly un-academic way to learn things, vs going to a brick-and-mortar library and reading it from a book. You know how parents say "YOU READ ON THE INTERNET TOO MUCH" but never "YOU READ BOOKS TOO MUCH"
Bot0nist
International Hazard

Mood: Streching my cotyledons.

[*] posted on 31-8-2013 at 11:20

Google is what you make it, and you could benifit greatly from its proper application before posting or experimenting...

U.T.F.S.E. and learn the joys of autodidacticism!

Don't judge each day only by the harvest you reap, but also by the seeds you sow.
PeeWee2000
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-8-2013 at 13:57

Sorry if I came off as rude I didnt realize that UTFSE meant use the fourm search engnie I'm used to other less forgiving fourms, but if reading books is youre thing go for it and its like botonist said google will give you good information most of the time you just have to sort out the good from the bad! But as you said books are almost never wrong when it comes to things like this libraries just arent in style like they used to be.

“Everything is relative in this world, where change alone endures.”

― Leon Trotsky
Cou
National Hazard

Mood: Mad Scientist

[*] posted on 31-8-2013 at 20:31

It's just that the internet has a bad name to people who didn't grow up with it; it's not uncommon for people to get ridiculed because everything they know is from wikipedia
MichiganMadScientist
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 1-9-2013 at 08:17

Quote: Originally posted by Cou  
It's just that the internet has a bad name to people who didn't grow up with it; it's not uncommon for people to get ridiculed because everything they know is from wikipedia

Not exactly on topic, but I might add that it is the distinguishing mark of a true scientist to multi-source all information, scientific or not. Books and journals might be more scholarly, but a lot of libraries are full of out of date books.

Perhaps if people would learn to multi-source their daily news consumption, we would have slightly few extremists in my country. It's acceptable to lean to one direction or the other, but it is unacceptable to simply shut one's ears to all but one information source.

Now, to bring my post back (slightly) on-topic.......Cou, just a thought: why don't you try to take the ideas and techniques proposed in this thread and do some experimenting on your own. I understand that your resources are limited, but this brings us to the next great distinguishing characteristic of a true scientist: The Ability To Improvise. Consider trying to modify some of the techniques in this thread to match the resources you have. I'm sure that if you really put some effort into it, members here would be interested in seeing what you came up with.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top