Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: RDX vs. ETN
golfpro
Banned

Mood: Cap Sensitive

[*] posted on 31-8-2013 at 20:10
RDX vs. ETN

I have a few questions about the differences in the two. I have read somewhere that ETN is favorable over RDX for power in small amounts, but then in larger amounts ETN is sluggish compared to RDX. Is this only for certain density or all densities possible and what amount is the intersecting point when RDX performs equally with ETN using whatever test for this. I haven't been able to wrap my mind around why this happens if it does?

500g ETN vs. 500g RDX at pressed density, what would be the difference between the two? (Steel Plate test, Sound, etc.)

I've also heard of ETN detonating much slower than the standard velocity even at cast density, how could this possibly happen?

Anyway, I think it would be cool to have an ETN/RDX cast that's cap sensitive, or ETN/RDX plasticized together.

[Edited on 1-9-2013 by golfpro]
Dany
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 31-8-2013 at 23:31

it is not important if the charge is small or big. what is important is the loading density at which each explosive is detonated given that no other effect is interfering (e.g.,detonation is far from critical diameter). So comparing ETN and RDX at density= 1.77g/cm3 you will find for ETN Dcj= 8.3 km/s and Pcj= 303 kbar while for RDX Dcj= 8.7 km/s and Pcj= 338 kbar. (the value for RDX are from (PROPERTIES OF CHEMICAL EXPLOSIVES AND EXPLOSIVE SIMULANTS, B. Dobratz, 1972) while that of ETN (Thermochimica Acta 566 (2013) 137– 148, the detonation pressure is estimated using the polytropic equation of state).

A recent paper by J.C.OXELY, demonstrate that RDX performe better than ETN and other nitrate ester in a test called Small-Scale Explosivity Testing (SSET). also RDX has higher decomposition temperature than ETN. the critical temperature for thermal decomposition is 181.8°C (Thermochimica Acta 566 (2013) 137– 148) while that of RDX is 260°C.

yes you can make ETN performance better than RDX if you detonate the ETN at higher loading density than that of RDX. so based on the information above, detonating 500 g of RDX and ETN at the same loading density, you will notice a deeper depression in steel plate test (we calle it plate dent test and not steel plate test) for RDX than that of ETN.

i don't understand what you mean by " ETN detonating much slower than the standard velocity even at cast density", but anyway the denser the ETN the better the performance because ETN is considered an ideal explosive, so Dcj will increase linearly with density. For some type of explosive like ANFO or Ammonium perchlorate/aluminium, detonation velocity will increase with density and then will drop after a certain point (after a given value of density). Ammonium and hydrazinium azide behave like this, also mercury fulminate is susceptible to this behavior because it will become dead pressed at high loading density (for more information see "CRITICAL PARAMETERS FOR DETONATION PROPAGATION AND INITIATION OF HE" for donna PRICE).

below i will upload the paper of Jimmy OXELY where she compare the power of RDX to ETN and other nitrate ester along other important properties and synthesis procedures for nitrate esters.

Dany.

Attachment: Characterization and Analysis of Tetranitrate Esters.pdf (806kB)
This file has been downloaded 1095 times

[Edited on 1-9-2013 by Dany]
Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-9-2013 at 04:37

Is it just me, but I can't imagine anything being dead pressed if the diameter and boosters are big enough?
Dany
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-9-2013 at 04:41

Dead pressing a material don't have anything with critical diameter or a booster. some explosive like mercury fulminate don't burn or explode if they are highly compressed (nearly to their theoretical maximum density).

a good study on initiation of primary explosive (including the dead pressing effect) is that of P. M. Dickson and J. E. Field "Initiation and Propagation in Primary Explosives"
http://rspa.royalsocietypublishing.org/content/441/1912/359

Dany.

[Edited on 1-9-2013 by Dany]
Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-9-2013 at 05:21

Let's say we have a small planet made out of cast AN. It's gravity is so high, the core is let's say at 1.8g/cm2. Now you are telling me that if there was a booster in the centre, let's say 9000 metric thons of C(NO2)4/TNT mixture, the whole thing wont go off at maximum velocity?
Dany
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-9-2013 at 05:37

Ral123,

when i reply on golfpro question i said that Dcj of ANFO (Not AN) will decrease as the density approach the TMD (theoretical maximum density). i didn't say that ANFO or AN will dead press (although this can be true, but i didn't do a search). anyway what you are asking is extreme and purely theoretical, but if a material is dead pressed it is not possible to detonate it, even with strong initiator, this what laboratory test shows on primary explosive compressed to high pressure (e.g., 30000 psi). but talking in general, why you are surprised that a planet made of explosive would not detonate under this conditions? it may be hard to believe, but powerful high explosive cylinder would not detonate if they are under the critical diameter even if you use hundred of grams of booster explosive to initiate this charge.

Dany.
Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 1-9-2013 at 06:03

From what I've read MF and ANFO are the only examples of dead pressable material I can think of. So you are telling me that a barrel of dead pressed MF wont go off with a 2kg cast HMX/TNAZ booster? From what I've read, dead pressed MF only suffers kinda laggy DDT and is prefectly detonatable with a blast cap.
Dany
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 1-9-2013 at 06:17

Material that can be dead pressed:

1,3,5-Triazido-2,4,6-trinitrobenzene and mercury fulminate ("Explosive" for Meyer, R.; Kohler, Josef; Homburg, Axel, Sixth Edition).

Diazodinitrophenol (DDNP), tetrazene and peroxides ("Primary Explosives", chapter 2 for Matyáš, Robert, Pachman, Jiří, 2012)
http://www.springer.com/chemistry/physical+chemistry/book/97...

Dany.
Microtek
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 00:41

I think Golfpro was referring to the critical diameter phenomenon. Some explosives are more effective than others when considering the steady state detonation of very large charges (so no edge effects, and no consideration of the acceleration phase), but when small charges are considered the relationship may be reversed. I don't know the exact parameters of ETN and RDX, but RDX has a reputation for not performing so well in very small charges.
Dany
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 00:56

You're right Microtek, at very small critical diameter, one should expect problem with reducing detonation velocity. I think that at very small diameter nitrate ester will behave better (support a steady detonation state) than nitramine, for example it is known that PETN can support steady detonation in micrometer charge diameter. however, i dont think that this is a very big problem for an amateur. this problem is more important to the field of microdetonics where very small charge diameter are needed.

Dany.
Microtek
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 01:16

I think Golfpro was referring to the critical diameter phenomenon. Some explosives are more effective than others when considering the steady state detonation of very large charges (so no edge effects, and no consideration of the acceleration phase), but when small charges are considered the relationship may be reversed. I don't know the exact parameters of ETN and RDX, but RDX has a reputation for not performing so well in very small charges.
Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 2-9-2013 at 02:31

I think the enthusiasts are just the most interested in small diameter performance, so micro tests can be done. For now I have the feeling MHN may the best small diameter material, with it's high melting point and high sensitivity.
Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-5-2014 at 06:13
RDX vs ETN

I was very curious how would those two pressed only compare. I had the feeling that the sound was different and the flash was different, but the recordings don't think so. I can't explain myself what particles pierced the cans, glass from the tubes or aluminium fragments. So far 3 years old washed only RDX sample seems better then 1 year old recrystalised ETN btw.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52WAQ5r3yV8&feature=yout...
markx
National Hazard

Mood: Very Jolly

[*] posted on 7-5-2014 at 06:55

Looking at the distortion of the metal I see that the picture corellates nicely with my own results....RDX seems to leave a more uniform deformation along the whole length of the charge whereas ETN and PETN seem to concentrate the pressure at about mid length of the charge, leaving a greater deformation there. Curious to why that happens to be so? The effect is more apparent with smaller charges and when the witness plate is not penetrated by the blast.

Exact science is a figment of imagination.......
Manifest
Script Kiddie Asshole

[*] posted on 7-5-2014 at 07:28

Yes, RDX seems marginally better but is much harder to make, how on earth do I get Acetic Anhydride?
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 7-5-2014 at 07:59

I don't remember if Elemental Scientific ships to the UK, but if they do:
http://www.elementalscientific.net/store/scripts/prodView.as...

Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-5-2014 at 08:04

@Manifest
Not if you have distillation setup. I've done WFNA with aluminium pipe and old flasks.
@Zyklonb
There may be fake sales put there to lure you and bring you police investigation. I know two such cases.
plante1999
International Hazard

Mood: Mad as a hatter

[*] posted on 7-5-2014 at 08:29

I can provide some Ac2O if someone really needs it, contact via U2U or email, please.

I never asked for this.
hissingnoise
International Hazard

Mood: Pulverulescent!

[*] posted on 7-5-2014 at 08:37

Quote:
how on earth do I get Acetic Anhydride?
On ebay?

Manifest
Script Kiddie Asshole

[*] posted on 7-5-2014 at 12:32

When I search ebay Ireland I don't see any other listings for it.
Ebay UK has none either, ETN seems a better option to me and it might look suspicious if I buy Ac2O.

Hissingnoise, assuming you're irish, where abouts are you if you don't mind me asking?
I'm in Derry.

[Edited on 7-5-2014 by Manifest]
NeonPulse
Hazard to Others

Mood: Isolated from Reality! For Real this time....

[*] posted on 7-5-2014 at 18:30

These results Ral123 and markx are pretty consistent with the results I achieved testing the same. Two small charges of 3.5 grams each were placed against a 5 millimetre thick steel plate. I don't know the exact density but I used a vise and a Dowell rod with a marking to press them identically and initiated them electrically using 300mg of lead azide. ETN dented the plate around the center of the charge while the RDX seemed to deform it much more there as well as the dent there was a large crack along the length of the area where the charge was placed along with spalling on the back side.Also I noted a flash difference and the sound of RDXwas more like a crack. As RDX is more brisant than the ETN this didn't surprise me at all but it was a good test or the two.

Where there is a will
there is a way.

AllCheMystery!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWbbidIY4v57uczsl0Fgv7w?vie...
Napolean Dynamite
Harmless

Mood: sweet

[*] posted on 7-5-2014 at 18:41

As far as sound I think ETN is louder than RDX. Once I detonated a 20g RDX charge on a cast iron metal sewer and from 300 yards away it sounded like nothing more than an aerial firework with low pitched sound, but the metal was dented pretty good.
Ral123
National Hazard

[*] posted on 7-5-2014 at 21:43

The ETN ripped the can more. I have the feeling it flashed a bit more and was a little louder. I'm not sure why they are so similar on the camera.
markx
National Hazard

Mood: Very Jolly

[*] posted on 7-5-2014 at 22:55

Quote:

The ETN ripped the can more. I have the feeling it flashed a bit more and was a little louder. I'm not sure why they are so similar on the camera.

The framerate of the camera is not high enough to capture the flash of the blast...it just takes a single frame to miss it. If you use a high speed camera then the chances are better to get all the interesting bits on tape. It may also happen with a regular camera, but purely out of coincidence.
It is also my observation that ETN has a very distinctive bright flash upon exploding. At first I thought it might be the aluminium foil around the charge that ignites in the extra oxygen, but it is just the same without incorporating any Al metal around the charge.

Exact science is a figment of imagination.......
Dornier 335A
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 8-5-2014 at 00:11

ETN does have a rather high explosion temperature and higher energy content than RDX, which could explain the brighter flash.
My equilibrium program calculated ETN's CJ temperature to 4478 K compared to 4238 K calculated for RDX (at 1.72 g/cm3 and 1.78 g/cm3 respectively).
The energies of detonation were calculated to 5.942 MJ/kg and 5.695 MJ/kg respectively, at the same densities as above.
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top