Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Aluminium-Mercury Amalgam
mbeef
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 14-9-2013 at 18:05
Aluminium-Mercury Amalgam

I did a bit of research around the subject and I didn't really find a direct answer to my question, so here I am.

In solution, do all mercury salts form an amalgam with aluminium? eg - Mercury(I) Nitrate

In almost all of the examples I have seen HgCl2 as the salt, an occasionally Hg(NO3)2. Is there any reasoning behind this? Safer, faster, cheaper? Does the oxidation state of Hg change anything?

I don't see why all Hg salts wouldn't all act the same, the mercury in the salt should react similarly unless some salts are more energy favourable than the resultant amalgam? Please enlighten me :)
elementcollector1
International Hazard

Mood: Molten

[*] posted on 14-9-2013 at 18:37

I'm not sure what you mean. If you had a mercury salt in solution, and added aluminum, it would precipitate elemental mercury, which may form an amalgam with the remaining aluminum only to lose the Al back to any remaining mercury salt. Excess aluminum would create an amalgam.

Elements Collected:52/87
Latest Acquired: Cl
Next in Line: Nd
12AX7
Post Harlot

Mood: informative

[*] posted on 14-9-2013 at 22:33

Chloride might be more corrosive to aluminum, which is the case with copper (copper sulfate hardly reacts with aluminum; copper chloride reacts autocatalytically).

Just comes down to aluminum's pesky oxide layer.

Tim

Seven Transistor Labs LLC http://seventransistorlabs.com/
Electronic Design, from Concept to Layout.
Need engineering assistance? Drop me a message!
View user's profile Visit user's homepage View All Posts By User This user has MSN Messenger
Eddygp
National Hazard

Mood: Organometallic

[*] posted on 15-9-2013 at 01:07

Chloride is definitely more corrosive with aluminium (especially when used together with copper cations), so therefore, after attacking the aluminium, mercury metal will form and react with the rest of the aluminium to make the amalgam. So for example:
3HgCl2 + 2Al ==> 2AlCl3 + 3Hg
3Hg + nAl ==> amalgam
You should therefore add Al in excess for the first reaction, or if you just want mercury metal and that's it, add mercury(II) chloride in excess.

there may be bugs in gfind

[ˌɛdidʒiˈpiː] IPA pronunciation for my Username
IrC
International Hazard

Mood: Discovering

[*] posted on 15-9-2013 at 04:36

"Just comes down to aluminum's pesky oxide layer."

I found by experimenting you can get at Al without dealing with the oxide layer by first dissolving it in Ga. I still have a few ounces of this in an airtight bottle which is both very odd and cool at the same time. If you wrap a chunk in a wet paper towel it produces heat and H2 by ripping apart the water. A large enough piece and it gets so hot the towel starts burning. Stores for years quite well if you keep it away from air and extremely dry. The result is what I believe is the hydroxide of Al and as an added bonus you recover nearly all of the Gallium as beads of liquid metal.

"Science is the belief in the ignorance of the experts" Richard Feynman
Mesa
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 15-9-2013 at 07:15

Hence why gallium is often used as a non-toxic substitute for mercury in such reactions... Albeit with somewhat limited success.

Go To Top