Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 17-3-2014 at 13:42

Looks like caramel to me.

Hegi
Hazard to Others

Mood: No idea.

[*] posted on 17-3-2014 at 22:37

Quote: Originally posted by DraconicAcid  
Is that a mineral, or an oddly-shaped piece of chocolate?

It´s vanadinite :D

Our webpage has been shut down forever cause nobody was willing to contribute. Shame on you all!!!
kristofvagyok
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 17-3-2014 at 23:04

3,2,1, bang!

A gram of hexanitromannite initiated with some lead styphnate photographed just when it exploded.

The experiment was part of chemistry safety classes when the students learnt about how to handle explosives and other compounds. The audience was protected by a plexiglass shield and noone got hurt, besides the plastic bottle with full of water what was next to the explosive.

I have a blog where I post my pictures from my work: http://labphoto.tumblr.com/
-Pictures from chemistry, check it out(:

"You can’t become a chemist and expect to live forever."
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-3-2014 at 10:22

Wow, kristofvagyok , that looks great.

Not very pretty, but I just found a nice length of copper power wire on my street. I haven't taken off the insulation, but the whole chunk weighs 470 grams. I'm assuming that ~80% of it is copper, so I might get about 376 g's from it.:D

PICT0007.jpg - 195kB

DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 18-3-2014 at 12:17

Quote: Originally posted by Zyklonb  
Wow, kristofvagyok , that looks great.

Not very pretty, but I just found a nice length of copper power wire on my street. I haven't taken off the insulation, but the whole chunk weighs 470 grams. I'm assuming that ~80% of it is copper, so I might get about 376 g's from it.:D

The copper used for electrical wire is very pure, and the insulation probably doesn't weigh very much.

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-3-2014 at 12:39

I know, it's an excellent source. I wonder where it came from, there were no power line near where I found it. Especially no broken lines. Copper thieves dropped it perhaps....:) Probably not.
I used to have to strip other electrical wire lying around for my copper, but this will last a long time.

MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-3-2014 at 12:44

I found a similar piece of wire in an empty lot near my house, except it was made of aluminum. It should also be very pure! My neighborhood has a lot of construction going on, so I'm always hunting around the sites for scraps :)

EDIT: Hegi, I've never seen vanadinite that color before - it's always orange or red. Do you know why yours is different?

[Edited on 3-18-2014 by MrHomeScientist]
HgDinis25
Hazard to Others

Mood: Who drank my mercury?

[*] posted on 18-3-2014 at 14:20

It's just some small scale Iodine extraction, not that fantastic or anything but I like the colours xD
violet sin
International Hazard

Mood: Good

[*] posted on 21-3-2014 at 21:40

I built a little electroplating set up recently. thought I'd share as it is cheap and easy to make. haven't done a whole lot of work with it yet, but it's currently refining sterling scrap.
main components:
1- DC-DC stepdown transformer, http://www.ebay.com/itm/LM2596-DC-DC-Buck-Converter-Constant...
1- DC digital ammeter/voltmeter, http://www.ebay.com/itm/141164937042?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:I...
and some simple stuff,.. A shallow light switch box( 1.25$), piece of plexiglass, a small piece of terminal strip, some wire and a stand to attach it to... and a wine cork( generic non-conductive backing for adj. step-down board positioning)

0318142008.jpg - 75kB 0319140234a.jpg - 62kB 0321141230.jpg - 46kB 0321141230a.jpg - 44kB 0321141506.jpg - 89kB

pic 1) laid out the parts: stand, switch box, plexi and the new V/A meter
pic 2) assembled unit
pic 3) attached to the stand.
pic 4) side view, short foot on the display side, and long foot opposed it rests nicely under the plating tank to secure the stand from falling.
pic 5) action shot on initial run. in this one you can see the stainless spill tray, the stand and control unit with the silver cell peaking out behind it( in a plastic bowl for shock/spill hazard) a small glass bowl to set sterling electrode while looking, and a second plastic cover to keep debris out while cell is down.

the DC-DC stepdown unit is adjustable, and the adj. screws are set in the plexi face plate. it can be powered by a wall-wort( AC adapter > 5V), and tuned down within a given range of the supply voltage. the amperage control isn't that great. it floats up/down quickly with voltage adj. but your amperage adj. by itself has a short leash.

total cost to me ~15$ and a few hours works, as I already had spare project materials around. the actual cell is a single wall stainless steel travel coffee mug with handle and all plastic taken off. the lid is some sort of PVC gutter/drain pipe cover( ~1$ ace ). any tighter and the lid wouldn't fit. I'll have to put a few days through it and see how she handles, hopefully well.

plexiglass is a bitch to work with some times. or mine was just really brittle. I broke 2 pieces making the face plate. that was probably the single most time consuming aspect.
Hegi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 03:02

Quote: Originally posted by MrHomeScientist  
I found a similar piece of wire in an empty lot near my house, except it was made of aluminum. It should also be very pure! My neighborhood has a lot of construction going on, so I'm always hunting around the sites for scraps :)

EDIT: Hegi, I've never seen vanadinite that color before - it's always orange or red. Do you know why yours is different?

[Edited on 3-18-2014 by MrHomeScientist]

I have no idea... I did not study it... :/

Potassium ferrioxalate crystals

And a little bit of analytical chemistry. Complexometric titration of Cu2+

Our webpage has been shut down forever cause nobody was willing to contribute. Shame on you all!!!
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 05:44

Quote: Originally posted by violet sin  
I built a little electroplating set up recently. thought I'd share as it is cheap and easy to make. haven't done a whole lot of work with it yet, but it's currently refining sterling scrap.

Love it, hopefully I see a lot of work come out of that apparatus :) There is such a low barrier to entry for electrochemisty and a vast number of experiments to be performed, I wish I saw more of it on this forum.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Töilet Plünger
Hazard to Self

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 17:44

Hegi, what reagents were used in the titration? And you should take pictures of the ferrioxalate in UV as well!

Hegi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 23:32

Quote: Originally posted by Töilet Plünger  
Hegi, what reagents were used in the titration? And you should take pictures of the ferrioxalate in UV as well!

Definitely should but do not have UV right now... chelaton III as titrant and murexide as indicator were used :)

MrHomeScientist
International Hazard

[*] posted on 25-3-2014 at 17:03

Potassium nitrate crystals freshly decanted from their solution. I really liked how they formed this starburst pattern in the upper part of the beaker!

1.jpg - 143kB
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-3-2014 at 13:42

Came across a time lapse video (done on an iphone) of the Belousov-Zhabotinsky reaction in a petri dish using ferroin. Its not crazy good but the effect is neat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qFgnDs9GZj0
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-3-2014 at 16:55

By "came across", you mean "uploaded"?:D

Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-3-2014 at 17:07

Came across a video I uploaded a long time ago while looking at my YouTube account ;) is what I should have said. I plan on making a nicer one now that I have a better camera and apps for this type of filming. I have a few indicator mixes if like to try as well including a fluorescent one, so, we shall see how that works out

[Edited on 29-3-2014 by Mailinmypocket]
Metacelsus
International Hazard

Mood: Double, double, toil and trouble

[*] posted on 28-3-2014 at 17:36
O-alkyl dithiocarbonates

KiPrX recrystallization.jpg - 140kB iPrXA.jpg - 177kB

[Edited on 29-3-2014 by Cheddite Cheese]

As below, so above.

My blog: https://denovo.substack.com
Mailinmypocket
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-3-2014 at 10:57

Just some chromium compounds

Chemistry_Keegan
Harmless

Mood: Interested

[*] posted on 29-3-2014 at 17:02

Sodium aluminate crystals that formed over a course of several weeks after all the water evaporated on it's own :)

Sodium Aluminate.JPG - 72kB
BromicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Rock n' Roll

[*] posted on 29-3-2014 at 17:03

Quote: Originally posted by Mailinmypocket  
Just some chromium compounds

So pretty, they look like artist pigments. I believe at one time some oxidizing agents were used as pigments but the medium doesn't tend to hold up well to oxidizing agents.

Shamelessly plugging my attempts at writing fiction: http://www.robvincent.org
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-3-2014 at 21:09

I just got some potassium dichromate as well, I will post a picture of some nice big crystals as soon as I can make them, until then, it looks the same as Mailinmypocket's.

NeonPulse
Hazard to Others

Mood: Isolated from Reality! For Real this time....

[*] posted on 30-3-2014 at 02:35

Re-crystallizing some Trinitrophenol. Got a nice crop of well formed needle shaped crystals in the beaker....
:) i see alot of the pics here are of some type of crystalline formations. the silver metal on the copper wire look pretty neat. i tried the same but could not get decent close up pics.
picric crystals2.jpg - 75kB

Where there is a will
there is a way.

AllCheMystery!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWbbidIY4v57uczsl0Fgv7w?vie...
Hegi
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 31-3-2014 at 08:12

Quote: Originally posted by NeonPulse  
Re-crystallizing some Trinitrophenol. Got a nice crop of well formed needle shaped crystals in the beaker....
:) i see alot of the pics here are of some type of crystalline formations. the silver metal on the copper wire look pretty neat. i tried the same but could not get decent close up pics.

What solvent did you use? ... I prepared today few grams of TNP and then dissolved it in warm ethanol.. so now I´m waiting for crystals..

Zyklon-A
International Hazard

[*] posted on 31-3-2014 at 09:03
Chromuim Chemistry

Interesting color reaction:
Control: water
#1 reaction: water with 5 drops 3%H2O2
#2 reaction: water with 5 drops 3%H2O2
+ 5 drops 30%HCl
~50 mg potassium dichromate is added to each tube.
Control is on the right, #1 reaction in the middle and #2 reaction on left.

DSC01634.jpg - 95kB 10 seconds after addition. DSC01635.jpg - 95kB 2 minutes after addition. DSC01636.jpg - 73kB 5 minutes after addition. DSC01637.jpg - 81kB 10 minutes after addition.

[EDIT] Now 15-20 minutes after the last picture was taken, #2 reaction tube is nearly colorless, a bit of unreacted potassium dichromate has settled on the bottom, but the solution is very pale blue. The camera doesn't pick it up very well, it's slightly more colored then the picture shows.

[Edited on 31-3-2014 by Zyklonb]

DSC01638.jpg - 84kB

Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  ..  76

Go To Top