Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  43    45    47  ..  76
Author: Subject: Pretty Pictures (2)
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 1-3-2016 at 07:21

I also have a good stones, gemstones and fossiles collection :D
Also some other not yet exposed in my glass shelf...
gem1.JPG - 2.1MB
gem2.JPG - 1.9MB
gem3.JPG - 2MB
gem4.JPG - 2MB
gem5.JPG - 1.9MB

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 1-3-2016 at 07:36

And a few close up of my bismuth cristals:

bis1.JPG - 1.2MB
bis2.JPG - 1.5MB
bis3.JPG - 1012kB
bis4.JPG - 2MB
bis5.JPG - 1.9MB

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
crystal grower
Hazard to Others

Mood: Puzzled

[*] posted on 1-3-2016 at 08:07

Wow that's gorgeous.
Do you buy minerals or you dig the them yourself ?
And also what purity bismuth do you use?

Elements collected:31/92
Last acquired: Co
Check out the ScienceMadness Wiki: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Main_Page
Also make sure to check out my and hegi's website :) :
http://pieceofscience.com
Thanks.
Velzee
Hazard to Others

Mood: Taking it easy

[*] posted on 1-3-2016 at 12:03

Amazing, all of these.

Check out the ScienceMadness Wiki: http://www.sciencemadness.org/smwiki/index.php/Main_Page

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
—Arthur Schopenhauer

"¡Vivá Cristo Rey!"
—Saint José Sánchez del Río
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 3-3-2016 at 14:19

Quote: Originally posted by crystal grower  
Wow that's gorgeous.
Do you buy minerals or you dig the them yourself ?
And also what purity bismuth do you use?

I started my collection at the age of 8 (I'm 41 by now), but my personal findings are a minority (less than 0.5% of my collection); most of my collection come from mineral and fossiles fairs...the other part from tiny gifts.

I focus on beautiful gemstones, usually transparent and colored ranging from half-precious to precious, but at a good price and in natural state or just pollished.

The last 5 years I have bought some facetted gemstones, some artifical, thus for a very good price...some are huge.

For the last decade I also bought minerals for the chemical content (Beryls for Berylium, some rare minerals for Ytrium and Selenium, Cinnabar for Mercury, crystaline Silicium, crystaline Bismuth,Stilbine for Antimony, ...)

The Bismuth crystals are probably very pure, I guess they come from the industrial refining process of Copper, Lead and Tin (from cooling chemineys)...they are colourfull and very advertising if you look at them with a magnifier or microscope...you feel like flying into old Maya temples...

[Edited on 3-3-2016 by PHILOU Zrealone]

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

woelen
Super Administrator

Mood: interested

[*] posted on 5-3-2016 at 11:34

I made an ampoule with IBr. Very weird crystals are formed in the inside of the ampoule:

This is the ampoule:

IBr.jpg - 238kB

You can see some solid IBr at the bottom of the ampoule, the brown/pink vapor above it, and beautiful crystals at the bottom half of the ampoule.

Here follow some closeups of the crystals:

Crystals on the far side of the ampoule:

IBr_crystals_farside.jpg - 481kB

Crystals on the near side of the ampoule:

IBr_crystals_nearside.jpg - 426kB

Crystals all around the ampoule:

IBr_crystals.jpg - 456kB

One week later, the crystals disappeared at one side of the ampoule, but they are still present on one side:

IBr_crystals_7days.jpg - 196kB

The art of wondering makes life worth living...
Want to wonder? Look at https://woelen.homescience.net
wg48
National Hazard

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 5-3-2016 at 12:00

Fascinating pics woelen. The form of the crystals on the glass sides is reminiscent of the frost patterns on glass. I imagine molecules of the IBr bouncing a round in the tube and only sticking to the crystals with some probability depending which facet of the crystal they hit.
crystal grower
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-3-2016 at 12:04

Quote: Originally posted by woelen  
I made an ampoule with IBr. Very weird crystals are formed in the inside of the ampoule:

This is the ampoule:

You can see some solid IBr at the bottom of the ampoule, the brown/pink vapor above it, and beautiful crystals at the bottom half of the ampoule.

One week later, the crystals disappeared at one side of the ampoule, but they are still present on one side:

Wow, that's really weirdo :D.
What melting point does it have?

I want to try growing some iodine crystals, too bad that I can't find any iodine for a reasonable price (local eshops offers only big quantities so I can't afford it) and I won't probably get enough from povidone :(.

Thanks.
UC235
National Hazard

[*] posted on 5-3-2016 at 12:20

If you store bromine in the freezer, it too forms these beautiful feathery crystals on the walls as it sublimates. Mine is stored in the door, and the temperature gradient is sufficient that all of the material migrates to the one side of the upright bottle.
Velzee
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-3-2016 at 13:34

Quote: Originally posted by crystal grower  
Quote: Originally posted by woelen  

This is the ampoule:

Wow, that's really weirdo :D.
What melting point does it have?

I want to try growing some iodine crystals, too bad that I can't find any iodine for a reasonable price (local eshops offers only big quantities so I can't afford it) and I won't probably get enough from povidone :(.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-grams-0-88oz-pure-elemental-iodin...

Pretty high purity; this is the time in which products from China should be considered. I ordered a smaller amount before, which came out to be legitimate, but I should note that they do tend to lie to the customs(as in my case, they labeled the iodine as "clothing accessories" ).

"All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident."
—Arthur Schopenhauer

"¡Vivá Cristo Rey!"
crystal grower
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 5-3-2016 at 23:19

Quote: Originally posted by Velzee  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25-grams-0-88oz-pure-elemental-iodin...

Pretty high purity; this is the time in which products from China should be considered. I ordered a smaller amount before, which came out to be legitimate, but I should note that they do tend to lie to the customs(as in my case, they labeled the iodine as "clothing accessories" ).

That seems like a good deal but can I trust ebay? (I haven't bought anything from it yet). 5$ isn't very much so I could try it.
Sorry for being off-topic.

Thanks.
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 6-3-2016 at 01:21

I have bought Chinese iodine from eBay a couple of times. Last time was 100g a couple of months ago. Good experiences both times.

NedsHead
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 6-3-2016 at 02:00

J_sum1, did you have to contact customs and have it cleared first? I've wanted to buy some iodine/potassium iodide off eBay but wasn't sure if I could legally get it through customs

[Edited on 6-3-2016 by NedsHead]
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 6-3-2016 at 02:14

Nope. I just ordered it and it arrived. I will U2U my eBay seller but it is undoubtedly not the only possible source.

Like anything, you might expect a little visit from our friends in blue. (And I don't mean the smurfs.) Be ready for that. I have had one visit and it was painless enough. They said they would record me as legit and I would be unlikely to get another visit for a while.

fluorescence
Hazard to Others

Mood: So cold outside

[*] posted on 6-3-2016 at 06:41

Well....that didn't really work out as expected. So this was supposed to be Hexamminecobalt(III)oxohexacarbonatotetraberyllate but I just recently found the description of how to actually prepare it and I should have had used a Carbonate...so from the fact that even the so called insoliuble Co(III)ammine-Complex didnt really precipitate and that stuff is still full of Ammonia its probably just some Be(OH)2 that has formed.

I just read that even that complex mentioned above is supposed to be white when clean...so no colored Be compound again which is really sad. I'd really like to show you that Be Chemistry can be interesting, too but there is just no good inorganic complex which would be colored. s-Orbitals don't split so there is no transition unfortunately.

I think the only way to make it a bit more colorful would be to bind it to a pi-System that is already colored like in Chlorophyll for Magnesium.

So I will try to prepare the complex mentioned above again in a pure form and hopefully give you a real picture of it. Does anyone know about a good inorganic perhaps colored Be Compound ?

BE.jpg - 69kB
Theoretic
National Hazard

Mood: eating the souls of dust mites

[*] posted on 16-3-2016 at 13:08

A slight break from the preceding, but...
I hope nobody objects to explicit images of naked flames?

56e9b7f1b6651.png - 97kB

Candle in microgravity

Image113.gif - 73kB

Direct photographs of sooting n-C4H10 non-premixed gas-jet flames at 1 µg at Reš42, jet diameter 10 mm, showing evidence of thermophoresis-induced agglomeration at µg.

image005.jpg - 17kB

"CH4/Air premixed flame attached to a carbon-coated brass matrix cooled with water. Fuel rich to fuel lean from left to right and top to bottom by increasing air flow rate and decreasing CH4 flow rate. Small flames dance around and a butterfly appears. When the butterfly flies away, flame is gone."

Last not least:
1.jpg - 35kB

Why you don't extinguish Mg fires with a carbon dioxide extinguisher - even on a space station

Velzee
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 17-3-2016 at 10:37

Quote: Originally posted by Theoretic  
A slight break from the preceding, but...
I hope nobody objects to explicit images of naked flames?

Candle in microgravity

Direct photographs of sooting n-C4H10 non-premixed gas-jet flames at 1 µg at Reš42, jet diameter 10 mm, showing evidence of thermophoresis-induced agglomeration at µg.

"CH4/Air premixed flame attached to a carbon-coated brass matrix cooled with water. Fuel rich to fuel lean from left to right and top to bottom by increasing air flow rate and decreasing CH4 flow rate. Small flames dance around and a butterfly appears. When the butterfly flies away, flame is gone."

Last not least:

Why you don't extinguish Mg fires with a carbon dioxide extinguisher - even on a space station

Wow!

—Arthur Schopenhauer

"¡Vivá Cristo Rey!"
The Volatile Chemist
International Hazard

Mood: Copious

[*] posted on 17-3-2016 at 12:28

Ive brought this up before, but since the last pretty pictures thread topped at 40 pages, and was deemed hard to manage with forum software, shouldn't the same be done here? Or is the software better now?

fluorescence
Hazard to Others

Mood: So cold outside

[*] posted on 22-3-2016 at 08:50

So did another attempt to make a colored Beryllium Compound. This time I used an organic ligand. It took me quite a while and a few tries to get a useful result but it looks quite cool right now.

According to literature there is a Curcumin complex with Beryllium in an alkali solution. Literature suggests using Ammonia but I found that the results are so dark if you use too much indicator that you wont be able to see anything. So I switched to KOH as base.

What you see here are two test tubes filled with the same amount of KOH solution, made from one spatula of KOH in about 30 ml of water.
To one I added a Berylliumsulfate soltuion, made from 2 small spatulas of pure BeSO4 in about 25 ml of water. I took about 3-4 ml of this solution and added it to one of the test tubes and to the other one the same amount of water.

Literature often talks about the precipiate formed (BeOH2) but I did a run with quite much precipitate and it didn't really change that much. The one you see here is only a little cloudy and its really hard to even see the Hydroxide formed. So this can be done in a quite low concentration as well. I then added a few drops of curcumine in Ethanol to both of them.

The one without Beryllium stayed in solution and became brown-orane the other one precipitated and changed to a red color (hard to see on the photo).

In the pictures on the bottom I added a lot of indicator to the left test tube without beryllium and some solid BeSO4 to the other one as you can see as long as they are diluted even higher conc. of indicator and Be althought the both form a red layer where they meet differ in color if you diluted them long enough.

So I know Quinalizarin looks better but that is too expensive for me to buy it so I stay with curcumin but will try something interesting, soo.

BE-Cu III.jpg - 228kB
Hegi
Hazard to Others

Mood: No idea.

[*] posted on 22-3-2016 at 14:25
Copper(II) acetylacetone

Copper(II) acetylacetonate recrystallized from chloroform... Check out article about preparation - COPPER ACETYLACETONATE PREPARATION

9.png - 595kB 10.png - 775kB

[Edited on 23-3-2016 by Hegi]

Our webpage has been shut down forever cause nobody was willing to contribute. Shame on you all!!!
Zephyr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-3-2016 at 19:02

Those look like amazing crystals! I'm interested in viewing the prep but it seems your link doesn't work?

Sadly my acetylacetone synthesis failed, maybe I'll try again in a few weeks...

Sciencemadness Patches for sale! U2U me if you are interested.
http://imgur.com/a/QmpHn http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=62566&...
DraconicAcid
International Hazard

Mood: Semi-victorious.

[*] posted on 22-3-2016 at 20:22

Quote: Originally posted by Zephyr  
Those look like amazing crystals! I'm interested in viewing the prep but it seems your link doesn't work?

Try this: http://chem.pieceofscience.com/?p=990

Hmmm....there's also this: http://www.magritek.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/03/Lab-Manua...

I wonder if I could make some acac. Or if dimethyl malonate would form similar complexes.

[Edited on 23-3-2016 by DraconicAcid]

Please remember: "Filtrate" is not a verb.
Write up your lab reports the way your instructor wants them, not the way your ex-instructor wants them.
Zephyr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 22-3-2016 at 21:11

Wonderful, thanks DraconicAcid. I look forward to more great projects from pieceofscience!

Here's a pic of the drying rack I built for some substance:

IMG_0116.JPG - 4MB

http://imgur.com/a/QmpHn http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=62566&...
Hegi
Hazard to Others

Mood: No idea.

[*] posted on 23-3-2016 at 02:26

Quote: Originally posted by Zephyr  

Thanks Zephyr! It should work now. What reaction did you try for acetylacetone synthesis?

Our webpage has been shut down forever cause nobody was willing to contribute. Shame on you all!!!
Zephyr
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 23-3-2016 at 20:11

Here is the synthesis I attempted. As you can see moisture leads to issues, and I suspect it was the culprit... A bit of

AcetylAcetone.bmp - 1.8MB

Insight on how it could be done better or issues with this route are appreciated.

Pages:  1  ..  43    45    47  ..  76

Go To Top