Go To Bottom

Printable Version  
Author: Subject: Electrochem
kevinlimse
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 06:05
Electrochem

I tried to dry the used dehumidifier I have with carbon electrodes and 12 dc volts from my adapter. The dehumidifier consist of CaCl2, starch and zeolites. I used pencil leads as graphite electrodes. as it is highly concentrated, I got hydrogen gas and clorine gas, and turned the salt near the electrodes yellow. Forgetting that it is conc, I cannot get back anhydrous CaCl2 to reuse te dehumidifer (Singapore is tropical, not good for my french violin..). Is there a way to get back anhydrous salt from the mixture? Heating seem to burn the starch, making my mixture dry brown.

The funny thing is that my pencil lead electrode, cathode, has its texture turn from light grey to dark black. I tried burning it and it kind of exploded in contact with my butane flame... any explanations for this activity? I expected it to have a red glow, only to see it burst with little incandescent flame for a short time.... astounded...

[Edited on 3-10-2004 by kevinlimse]
kevinlimse
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 06:28

This is the cathode, some stuff sticking onto it, hard to clean off and I burnt it, leaving it to turn black.
MadHatter
International Hazard

Mood: Enjoying retirement

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 19:55
Dehumidify ?

Exactly what are you trying to do ? Your post isn't that clear. Your post
mentions alot of things going on. Is this a CaCl2 drying apparatus or
an electrolysis experiment ? Please elaborate on what you're trying to
accomplish.

From opening of NCIS New Orleans - It goes a BOOM ! BOOM ! BOOM ! MUHAHAHAHAHAHAHA !
kevinlimse
Harmless

[*] posted on 3-10-2004 at 23:24

Sorry, Its a commercial drying apparatus, anhydrous salt which is hydrated after use. I am trying to dry it but turns that it makes my electrodes behave wierdly.
Saerynide
National Hazard

Mood: Ionic

[*] posted on 4-10-2004 at 00:17

Boil it down and heat it in a pot until its white and crumbly

"Microsoft reserves the right at all times to monitor communications on the Service and disclose any information Microsoft deems necessary to... satisfy any applicable law, regulation or legal process"

Go To Top