Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  78
Author: Subject: Short question / quick answer - Thread
roXefeller
Hazard to Others

Mood: 220 221 whatever it takes

[*] posted on 17-3-2014 at 09:31
n-nitrodiethylamine

I'm looking at my chem shelf at a couple bottles of diethylamine HCl and I'm thinking, can this be taken to a nitramine, or maybe just a nitrate salt? It is already strongly alkaline and the warning against mixing with oxidizers is there. Low temps are a must. It has a rather low density so I'm not sure there is any value to it, unless it can form with a lead nitrate salt.
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-3-2014 at 07:23

Quote: Originally posted by underground  
With a little search i have found that the bicycle tire inner tube is made out of PIB, so. i just took a small piece of that material, and dip it into some gasoline, but it looks like it can not be dissolved by gasoline, so i was wondering what else solvent can i use to dissolve that ?

[Edited on 7-3-2014 by underground]

I have found that there are some plastics that they can really dissolved in gasoline, so i was wondering if it is PIB, is there any other type plastic that gasoline can dissolve ?
VladimirLem
Hazard to Others

Mood: Have no fear <Vlad> is here.

[*] posted on 19-3-2014 at 09:34

With a little search i have found that the bicycle tire inner tube is made out of PIB, so. i just took a small piece of that material, and dip it into some gasoline, but it looks like it can not be dissolved by gasoline, so i was wondering what else solvent can i use to dissolve that ?

[Edited on 7-3-2014 by underground]

I have found that there are some plastics that they can really dissolved in gasoline, so i was wondering if it is PIB, is there any other type plastic that gasoline can dissolve ?

polystyene do...so maybe other hydrocarbons do too? dunno

if its not PIB, i think you could use this stuff for some kind of phlegmatising (if you want to^^)...
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 19-3-2014 at 09:56

Quote: Originally posted by VladimirLem  

if its not PIB, i think you could use this stuff for some kind of phlegmatising (if you want to^^)...

What do you mean by that ? My english are a little bit poor

[Edited on 19-3-2014 by underground]
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 19-3-2014 at 13:15

Quote: Originally posted by DubaiAmateurRocketry  
So dinitrate salts are possible?

Yes, however can we still protonate compounds like trihydroxyguanidine? will it be unstable?

Also, does hydroxyhydrazine exist ? or aminohydroxylamine.

The number of protonations that are possible into a single molecule with near or viccinal molecular protonated groups depends strongly:
-on the basicity of the various groups (each time a protonation occurs the next protonation is harder).
-on the acid it is exposed to. If the acid that is submitted has a lower acidity than the protonated base (conjugated acid) then the acid base reaction will not be efficient.
HA + B <-=> a(-) + bH(+)

HA is a strong acid low pKa
B is a strong base high pKa (= low pKb)
a(-) is a very weak conjugated base of the strong acid HA (near neutral like Cl(-) in water)
bH(+) is the weak conjugated acid of the strong base B

As explained for (poly)hydroxyguanidine the presence of the hydroxy will reduce the basicity of each nitrogen so the first protonation will be less easy...and the other after even harder...

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 03:10

Can i prepare HDN with the same way as Urea nitrate ? With HCL, Hexamine and NH4NO3 ?

edit: Also once i made some UN out of urea, HCL and AN, but when i was trying to neutralized it with sodium carbonate, it just disappeared, i guess it just hydrolyzed or react with sodium carbonate , so how can i neutralized it ?

[Edited on 22-3-2014 by underground]
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

Mood: In research

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 04:08

Quote: Originally posted by PHILOU Zrealone  

Yes, however can we still protonate compounds like trihydroxyguanidine? will it be unstable?

The number of protonations that are possible into a single molecule with near or viccinal molecular protonated groups depends strongly:
-on the basicity of the various groups (each time a protonation occurs the next protonation is harder).
-on the acid it is exposed to. If the acid that is submitted has a lower acidity than the protonated base (conjugated acid) then the acid base reaction will not be efficient.
HA + B <-=> a(-) + bH(+)

a(-) is a very weak conjugated base of the strong acid HA (near neutral like Cl(-) in water)

As explained for (poly)hydroxyguanidine the presence of the hydroxy will reduce the basicity of each nitrogen so the first protonation will be less easy...and the other after even harder...

What about aminohydroxylamine ? HONHNH2

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0040609002...

Apparently, it is sold by some chem suppliers, and ive never seen its use any where...

http://mastersearch.chemexper.com/cheminfo/servlet/org.dbcre...
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 05:57

Quote: Originally posted by roXefeller  
I'm looking at my chem shelf at a couple bottles of diethylamine HCl and I'm thinking, can this be taken to a nitramine, or maybe just a nitrate salt? It is already strongly alkaline and the warning against mixing with oxidizers is there. Low temps are a must. It has a rather low density so I'm not sure there is any value to it, unless it can form with a lead nitrate salt.

Diethylamine is volatile (eb 55°C) and a strong base full smelling.

It can be made into (CH3-CH2)2N-NO2 but it will be less powerfull than dimethylnitramine. It can be nitrosated easily ((Eth)2N-N=O) and reduced into diethylhydrazine ((Eth)2N-NH2) also a valuable compound.

You might get more pleasure form the nitrate salt or even the perchlorate salt. The best would be the nitroformiate salt of it for OB reasons.

One may consider the making of colorfull complexes with transition metals like Cu(ClO4)2(tetracoordinates) and Ni(ClO4)3 or Ni(C(NO2)3)3 (hexacoordinates).

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 06:14

Quote: Originally posted by VladimirLem  

What do you mean by that ? My english are a little bit poor

[Edited on 19-3-2014 by underground]

He means that if PIB doesn't dissolve into benzine; then maybe something else could be dissolved into benzine like polystyrene and then PS could be used as phlegmatiser...but PS is hard brittle and not elastic/rubber like.

Polystyrene is a polymer and has dus a long molecular lenght but surprisingly it dissolves readily into CH2Cl2, into aceton, into benzene, toluene, and hydrocarbons like benzine.
Styrofoam/Expanded Polystyrene/Frigolithe is chewed by aceton drops just like if it was alien-blood .... very good to scare childrens ;) or to make a little show.:P

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 06:18

Can i prepare HDN with the same way as Urea nitrate ? With HCL, Hexamine and NH4NO3 ?

edit: Also once i made some UN out of urea, HCL and AN, but when i was trying to neutralized it with sodium carbonate, it just disappeared, i guess it just hydrolyzed or react with sodium carbonate , so how can i neutralized it ?

No It won't work as good because in UN the relative unsolibility of UN is taken as an advantage to facilitate separation vs Urea hydrochloride.

HDN is not particularly unsoluble nor is Hexamine dihydrochloride; so the best is stil to use HNO3 and hexamine. Then to evaporate in dry air or to add some ethanol and ether to force cristallisation of the salt.
Avoid heating of HDN it may lead to an explosion if dry heated.

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 06:37

HA + B <-=> a(-) + bH(+)

Apparently, it is sold by some chem suppliers, and ive never seen its use any where...

HO-NH-NH2 is an hydrated form of nitrene ...
HO-NH-NH2 --> H2O + H-N=N-H

If it exist at all, I suspect it is very unstable.

Don't trust those kind of links ... the following http://www.chemicalregister.com/Companies/AName/Page293/aidH.htm even does mention of tetrachlorohydrazine, tetrahydroxyhydrazine, nitrohydrazine and nitrosohydrazine ... just as if it could be bought...maybe they postulate it may exist one day and so they anticipate CAS numbers.

To give you an example:
Hydrazine and nitrite ester provides a way to azide compounds (typical butyl nitrite is used or other not too volatile related ester)-This is a known reaction:
H2N-NH2 + O=N-O-R --> H2N-NH-N=O + R-OH (alcohol)
It goes via an intermediary nitrosohydrazine (that is listed in the list of compounds here-up) what rearranges spontaneously into hydrazoic acid via internal dehydration...
H2N-NH-N=O <==> H2N-N=N-OH --> HN3 + H2O
Azothydric acid is usually caught by a base like NaOH to finally get NaN3.

I don't think a chemical company will sell hydrazoic acid 70% in water (what is equivalent to HN3.H2O or to H2N-NH-N=O).

[Edited on 22-3-2014 by PHILOU Zrealone]

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

underground
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 07:34

No It won't work as good because in UN the relative unsolibility of UN is taken as an advantage to facilitate separation vs Urea hydrochloride.

HDN is not particularly unsoluble nor is Hexamine dihydrochloride; so the best is stil to use HNO3 and hexamine. Then to evaporate in dry air or to add some ethanol and ether to force cristallisation of the salt.
Avoid heating of HDN it may lead to an explosion if dry heated.

PHILOU Zrealone, what about this process that i found:

An alternative to using nitric acid in this synthesis is to use a nitrate salt and hydrochloric acid. The yields may be a bit less, but the result is the same. Instead of preparing a hexamine solution, prepare a nitrating solution by dissolving 28 g (0.35 mol) of ammonium nitrate in 80 mL (0.8 mol) of 31.45% hydrochloric acid in a 250-mL beaker. Cool this solution in a salt-ice bath to 0 degrees. Again, it is not necessary to use the specified concentration of hydrochloric acid as long as the proper molar amount is added. Dissolve 14 g (0.1 mol) of methenamine in a minimum amount of water (about 21 mL). Quickly add this solution to the nitrating mix with rapid stirring; a precipitate should soon form. Filter and wash the crystals as above. One could substitute sodium nitrate or potassium nitrate of the same molar mass in place of ammonium nitrate.

DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 07:44

HA + B <-=> a(-) + bH(+)

HO-NH-NH2 is an hydrated form of nitrene ...
HO-NH-NH2 --> H2O + H-N=N-H

If it exist at all, I suspect it is very unstable.
Don't trust those links the following http://www.chemicalregister.com/Companies/AName/Page293/aidH.htm even does mention of tetrachlorohydrazine, tetrahydroxyhydrazine, nitrohydrazine and nitrosohydrazine just as if it could be bought...maybe they postulate it may exist one day and so they anticipate CAS numbers.

Oh right,

I also wanted to ask you about nitrene aka diazene. H-N=N-H

It can be protonated for H-N=NH2+ and I think the nitrate salt may be interesting! Do you have any papers/ reference about diazenium cation?
robart
Harmless

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 11:28

Hi guys.
As you can see I'm the new guy to the forum.
My name is robart and I live in Canada.
My question is what is the best (safest) way to get sodium azide out of some airbags I have? The airbags are out of a 2003 Chevy tracker.
Thanks in advance for your replies.
Robart
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 22-3-2014 at 17:02

This would be a good place to learn about making Sodium azide from common over the counter products, rather than asking for information not really having much to do with learning chemistry.

Airbags are built with the intent NOT to ever come apart. Also most do not contain azide any more, the stuff is similar to cyanide in toxicity and was a liability for auto shops to have around.

I personally know an individual who tried to harvest Sodium azide from several 1990's era inflators back about 12 years ago. He succeeded once and failed twice. On the failed attempts, the inflators went off in his face. He lost hair, got 2nd degree burns and some eye damage the second time- The gas generated is very hot, those airbags are lined with fabric woven from stainless steel wire to stand up to the heat. People who have had their bare faces bounced off a working airbag usually are mildly burned from that contact.

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

[*] posted on 29-3-2014 at 14:20

Does tetrahydrazine nitroxylate or tetrahydroxylammonium nitroxylate exist? It would make some good NHO salts.

The nitroxylate anion, although with a 4- charge, should be considered/ used more. Its synthesis is not very hard.

Tetrahydroxylammonium nitroxylate seems promising with a perfect OB. [(NH3OH)4]4+ [(O2N-NO2)]4- or empirically N6H16O8. This compound have an perfect OB at an insane hydrogen % of 7%. If this salt have a density of just 1.0g/cm3, it's hydrogen % will be same as liquid hydrogen.
Dany
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-3-2014 at 01:47

To my knowledge these compounds don't exist. However, the idea of introducing the nitroxylate group seems terrible. For example, sodium nitroxylate Na2NO2 is described as a bright yellow substance. Extremely sensitive to O2 , NO, CO2.
sensitive to H2O; hydrolyzes to N2O, H2N2O2 and NO. Stable up to 100°C. Decomposes at 130°C, emitting sparks and evolving N2, see [1] page 515. Na2NO2 is produced by the reaction of metallic sodium Na and sodium nitrite NaNO2.

this shows that the nitroxylate anion is at the edge of stability. The combination of the nitroxylate anion with other energetic moiety is very likely to produce very sensitive and dangerous HEDM.

Reference:

G. BRAUER, Handbook of preparative inorganic chemistry, Vol.1 , 2nd edition.

Dany.
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

[*] posted on 30-3-2014 at 01:58

Thanks, I did not find its sensitivity until the referrence.

What about the Hyponitrite 2- anion? Again dihydroxylammonium hyponitrite seems interesting with perfect OB (NH3OH)2(N2O2). The hyponitrite anion seems more stable than the nitroxylate.

Also what do you think about nitrosyl hyponitrite anion? the hydroxylammonium salt will be a isomer of ADN - N4H4O4, however this compound might be denser due to the hydrogen bonds, and maybe more sensitive.

http://pubs.acs.org/doi/abs/10.1021/jp204967h?journalCode=jp...

[Edited on 30-3-2014 by DubaiAmateurRocketry]
Dany
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 30-3-2014 at 02:21

Yes, sodium hyponitrite (Na2N2O2) is more stable than sodium nitroxylate. the former is produced from the reaction of sodium nitrate NaNO3, H2O and metallic sodium or by the reaction of sodium Na with gaseous NO (see also reference [1] mentioned in the last reply). Dihydroxylammonium hyponitrite don't seem to exist. However, hydroxylammonium hyponitrite may exist. This compound has been mentioned in this reference.

Dany.

[Edited on 30-3-2014 by Dany]
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 30-3-2014 at 09:42
Potassium Dichromate/Aluminum Flash Powder

Is the equation for said flash powder: 4 Al + K2Cr2O7 → K2O + 2 Al2O3 + 2 Cr? Or does the Cr not get reduced all the way to elemental state?
Of course either reaction is possible, but with is more energetic?
I tried the first reaction but saw a green residue on the test site. Which implies at least some Chromium(III) oxide.

Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 30-3-2014 at 10:06

Here is the decomposition formula:

4 K2Cr2O7 --> 4 K2CrO4 + 2 Cr2O3 + 3 O2

A good source for such information is:

Takeo Shimizu

Fireworks: The Art, Science & Technique

Please remember that hexavalent chrome is some seriously BAD stuff-

If you want flash, avoid the chromates. If you want to coat Magnesium to prevent degradation in a pyrotechnic mixture, chromates are useful...

Quote:

Time to post this - yet again.....

The Wrong Chemical -- In The Wrong Place!!
Donald J Haarmann is The WiZ
Originally published in The American Fireworks News

Potassium dichromate K2Cr2O7 (potassium bichromate, red potassium
chromate). Familiar to most pyros because of its bright orange-red color. Has
many uses:

"Dichromate" magnesium against chemical attack.

Added to compositions containing highly reactive zinc, e.g.,

Weingarts Electric Spreader Star

Potassium dichromate 15 parts
Zinc dust 72
Potassium chlorate 15
Granulate charcoal 12
Dextrin 2

Increase burning rate reaction of: Perchlorates:Re: Dichromate....safety concerns over-rated??

From: "donald haarmann" <donald-haarmann@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2007 22:26:15 GMT
"mikes2653" <mikes2653@xxxxxxxxxx>|

[snip]

| Still, it is remarkable how much exposure to many toxic substances is
| necessary before even minor symptoms are noted. The healthy human body
| is much more robust than many people believe. Excessive worry about
| environmental toxicity seems to me a species of hypochondria.

Dave Blesers Red Strobe

Ammonium percolate 50%
Potassium dichromate +5
Magnesium 25
Strontium sulphate 25

Shimizus' Burst Charge #44

Potassium dichromate 5%
Potassium perchlorate 70
Hemp coal 30
Rice starch 2+

Takeo Shimizu reports the burning rate of a 75/25 K perchlorate/hemp coal
increased by 55% when 4-5% potassium dichromate was added.

In Orange (toxic) smoke (Ellern #133)

Potassium dichromate 35%
Magnesium 15
Lead dioxide 50

It is not, however, used as an oxidizing agent despite an attracting 38% oxygen
content. he decomposition reaction as given by Takeo Shimizu shows why-

4 K2Cr2O7 --> 4 K2CrO4 + 2 Cr2O3 + 3 O2

A little quick math reveals that - 1176 grams of potassium dichromate yield a
miserly 48 grams of oxygen! (4% of starting weight!) Thus potassium dichromate
is a very weak pyrotechnic) oxidizer. Shimizu also notes; It is difficult to ignite or
to explode a mixture of potassium dichromate and red phosphors or sulphur even
by impact between iron surfaces.

Sadly the pleasing orange color hides a less then pleasant personality. While
classified by he NFPA a Zero for Fire hazard and Reactivity (Will not burn. -
Normally stable. Not reactive with water). It rates a Three for Health (Can cause
serious injury despite medical treatment.) Quote the Merk Index: Human Toxicity:
Internal a corrosive poison. Industrial contact may result in ulceration of hands,
destruction of mucous membranes and perforation of nasal septum. Not a
ingredient a pyro would handled in a careless manner! Non pyros are another
matter.

Civilian uses are as many as they are pedestrian: Tanning, dyeing, painting,
decorating porcelain, photolithograpy, staining wood, bleaching palm oil, wax,
and sponges, in dry cells as a depolarizer.

Then there is South Africa -- Where a third to two-thirds of blacks have been
estimate to receive frequent purgative enemas consisting of plant extracts though
truncated cow horn and hollow reeds administered by traditional healers. These
methods with increasing urbanization are being replaced by domestic and
industrial chemicals given with rubber tubing and syringe. Indeed among the
black population in Cape Town, tribal healers have been using potassium
dichromate in purgative enemas! A bad case of the wrong chemical in the wrong
place!! Even infants may receive 50 enemas a year.(The herbal version, not the
hexavalent chromium-tissue binding, don't try this at home kids, colon/kidney
destroying, dichromate version.)

All this probable proves something. I'll leave it to the reader to supply their own
comments.

Dunnn LP, et al. Colonic complications after toxic tribal enemas. British Journal
of Surgery, 1991; 78: 545-48. Abstracted in The Lancet July 20, 1991

--
donald j haarmann
------------------------------­------
What passes for woman's intuition is
often nothing more than man's transparency.
George Jean Nathan

[Edited on 30-3-2014 by Bert]

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

[*] posted on 31-3-2014 at 14:15

Does detonation wave travel faster/slower in different materials ?
Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 31-3-2014 at 14:47

Why do you think so much time is spent working towards higher VOD materials and highest density of plasticized, cast or pressed charges?

Have you encountered the concept of explosive lenses and wave shaping, particularly in regard to implosion type fission weapons?

Explosive wave shaping technology DEPENDS on this-

[Edited on 31-3-2014 by Bert]

DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

[*] posted on 31-3-2014 at 15:19

I have not studied about weapons or shapes/types of charges or the physics of detonation etc. My friend asked me if sound travel faster in solids, eg metal, than air, does detonation wave? I think not, but I could be wrong, so im here looking for an answer.
roXefeller
Hazard to Others

Mood: 220 221 whatever it takes

[*] posted on 31-3-2014 at 15:35

Sonic speed is a function of incompressibility. Sound travels better underwater than air because air compresses. Likewise solids, which have similar compressibilities.
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  78

Go To Top