Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  ..  78
Author: Subject: Short question / quick answer - Thread
ecos
Hazard to Others

Mood: Learning !

[*] posted on 21-4-2014 at 02:59

Quote: Originally posted by thesmug  
I think it should work, but you're going to have to be very careful. You would need just enough water to increase the concentration as much as you can, but not enough that you start diluting it.

so i need to add water drops till the yellow color start to disappear ?
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

Mood: In research

[*] posted on 21-4-2014 at 04:15

ecos just freeze the nitric acid in your freezer, the coldest possible temperature, and it will become much more whiter, if you need it for RDX its good enough. If there is water during your RDX nitration, it will give some very dangerous by products according to what other members said.
ecos
Hazard to Others

Mood: Learning !

[*] posted on 21-4-2014 at 06:39

Quote: Originally posted by DubaiAmateurRocketry  
ecos just freeze the nitric acid in your freezer, the coldest possible temperature, and it will become much more whiter, if you need it for RDX its good enough. If there is water during your RDX nitration, it will give some very dangerous by products according to what other members said.

Thanks man but freezing will remove the NOx or just the color?!

so I need to let the container of HNO3 open to get the NOx out?

and what is wrong about adding the water drops ? i thought it will increase the concentration !
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

[*] posted on 21-4-2014 at 07:58

When you distill HNO3 there will be traces of water condensing into your HNO3. Making a concentration around 97 98 or 95 depends on your setup, but im sure these water can dissolve the traces of NOx gases in the solution that makes this color. Lower temperature promotes solubility of NOx gases in water so freezing it is enough, the color should disappear meaning it dissolved.

Always keep your acid container sealed tightly, when you chill it the pressure inside the bottle will go down, no worry about build up of pressure

[Edited on 21-4-2014 by DubaiAmateurRocketry]
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 22-4-2014 at 01:37

Quote: Originally posted by ecos  
while trying to make high conc HNO3 using nitrate salts , the result is RFNA , this is because of the NOx mixtures.

to convert RFNA to WFNA we need to make vacuum distillation.

I was thinking to add few drops of distilled water on RFNA to increase its concentration using this equation :

3 NO2 + H2O → 2 HNO3 + NO

i.e, make a reaction between NO2 in RFNA and H20 to get some more HNO3. would that work ?

Ref : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nitric_acid

[Edited on 20-4-2014 by ecos]

Simply bubble dry air through it in a closed vessel with exhaust drying tube and the NxOy will leave the system leaving you with WFNA

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
Jimbo Jones
Hazard to Others

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 22-4-2014 at 01:57

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=13749#...
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 22-4-2014 at 02:35

Quote: Originally posted by PHILOU Zrealone  
Can this be nitrated?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dihydroxyacetone

And, can someone help me find synthesis of dinitroethane? or trinitroglycerin? Just interested to see the impact sensitivity and other properties of these liquid EM since the ONO2 group give much more impact sensitivity than NO2 group. I have searched on spinger and WOL, but not much related contents are shown. Thanks.

Dihydroxyaceton is not nitratable directly it is a strong reductor because in equilibrium with 2,3-dihydroxy-propanal...it has the ability to polymerize into dark polyphenolic stuffs (see its use as artificial suntanner).
Just as aceton (propanone) is unstable towards HNO3, so would DHA.
It could be nitrated by a derivated way via war gas lacrymator dichloroaceton and reaction with silver nitrate saturated solution...
Cl-CH2-CO-CH2-Cl + 2 AgNO3 --> O2N-O-CH2-CO-CH2-O-NO2 + 2 AgCl (s)
The molecule might suffer hydrolysis behavior (and unstability-explosive runaway) because of the cetonic group and enol-ceton equilibrium. This effect is seen in nitrosuggars (nitrate esters of suggars).

Dinitroethane can be 1,1 (geminal) or 1,2 (viccinal)... synthesis is pretty easy using the conventional synthesis pathways of nitroalcanes. I suppose you want the 1,2-DNE.
R-Br or R-I + AgNO2 (or LiNO2/NaNO2/KNO2 in DMF).

Trinitroglycerin is a confusing name for nitroglycerin; I suppose you meant 1,2,3-trinitropropane.

There is indeed very little info on those nitroalcanes of the family H-(CHNO2)n-H.

Edited:
Stil they are of much interest because surprisingly at a certain point of n, the linear polynitroalcanes (with one NO2 per carbon unit (cf nitromethane, 1,2-dinitroethane, 1,2,3-trinitropropane) surpasses in density equivalent lenght polymeric H-(CHONO2)n-H (with one ONO2 per carbon unit (cf methyl nitrate, EGDN, NG, ETN, XPN, MHN) by much; and polymeric H-(CHNHNO2)n-H (with one nitramino per carbon unit (cf methylnitramine, EDNA, propantrinitramine)) by a little.
So in theory it can lead to the highest density CHNO explosives this not counting with the fact each CH-NO2 unit:
-can react with formaldehyde to make (-C(CH2OH)(NO2)-)n which can be nitrated to make perfect OB polymer related to nitro-isobutyl-trinitrate ester and 2,3-dinitro-2,3-dimethylol-1,4-butanediol tetranitrate ester (O2NOCH2-(-C(CH2ON2)(-NO2)-)n-CH2ONO2)
-can react with nitrous acid to introduce a nitroso group in the place of the hydrogen increasing by much the density.
One should not pernitrosate the compound in a way to get perfect OB and some H bondings...1 nitroso per 3 unit would be optimum.
-(CHNO2-CHNO2-CHNO2-)n + HNO2 --> (-C(NO)NO2-CHNO2-CHNO2-)n + H2O
Pernitrosated compound would be denser but would be overoxygenated and would require some extra dense fuel to burn.

[Edited on 16-4-2014 by PHILOU Zrealone]

Thank you PHILOU Zrealone for anwsering my question in this detail. Interesting, a polymer with positive oxygen balance would be extremely interesting.

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=27095&...

In this post last reply, I uploaded a file on easily nitrating HTPB. Also for dinitroethane, is the carbon too acidic for use in propellant additives?

Also, what do you think about the nitronium cation nitration on HONH2? Will it yeild HON(NO2)2 ?

If you speak of CH3-CH(NO2)2, then the acidity will be present and in the range of carboxylic acids (thus corrosive towards metal casing and possible formation of sensitive dinitronates R-C(NO2)=N(O)-O(-)) and the stability of the compound due to geminal NO2 groups will be less than in O2N-CH2-CH2-NO2 (where NO2 are viccinal) because two geminal NO2 on a same carbon holding an hydrogen are very prone to nitro-nitrite rearrangment.

About nitration of hydroxylamine:
In "Traité de Chimie Organique, Tome XV, p 642, by V. Grignard, G. Dupont and R. Locquin: Diazoïques et Azoïques, Hydrazines, Hydroxylamines, Oximes et Azides.", they mention nitrohydroxamic acid as being HONH-NO2.
The molecule is in equilibrium with the aci-nitro form:
HO-NH-NO2 <==> HO-N=N(O)-OH
This later form decompose easily into nitrous acid and bivalent nitroxyle radical:
HO-N=N(O)-OH ==> HO-N=O + =N-OH

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-4-2014 at 12:47

Thank you SO much for that information. So atleast, that intermediate prodcut - HO-NH-NO2 product was stable enough to just be there and not decompose spontaneously. Good, I believe further nitration with nitronium cation's salts such as N2O5 will yeild a ''stable'' compound HO-N(NO2)2, just the hydroxyl version of dinitramideHN(NO2)2. Just like how ammonia ''H-NH2'' give HN(NO2)2 upon nitration with N2O5, HO-NH2 will probably yield HO-N(NO2)2? Just some guesses.

Also, is hydroxylammonium cation able to produce salts with dinitrourea? Such as dihydroxylammonium dinitrourea? [(HONH3)2]2+ [N(NO2)2]- This salt good density group contributers like the carbonyl group, further more it's oxygen positive with +17%OB(100%CO) balance. This compound should also have an density >1.8g/cm3

However... maybe by cation exchange? Because I have seen that a paper describe when they added hydroxylamine to dinitrourea, it did not protonate and no salts formed, instead, the nitro-hydroxy-urea was formed.
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

[*] posted on 22-4-2014 at 14:16

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_Energy_Density_Matter

''High Energy Density Matter, or HEDM, is a class of energetic materials'' I thought HEDM = Energetic materials?
DubaiAmateurRocketry
National Hazard

[*] posted on 24-4-2014 at 08:42

What chemical reactions could make >N-H become >N-O-H on rings?

Can the N-H on position on 1,4 or 1 on these become N-O-H through some reactions? I have seen HOOH, oxone used however I have never saw any azoles having 2 N-O-H on a single ring yet.

EDIT :

Can fulminate and azide form tetrazole oxide?

[Edited on 24-4-2014 by DubaiAmateurRocketry]
NeonPulse
Hazard to Others

Mood: Isolated from Reality! For Real this time....

[*] posted on 27-4-2014 at 17:23

I just have a question on the OB of RDX. being ob negative does anyone think that if balancing it out with ETN would be ideal? Perfect OB is desirable but if the velocity will be reduced too much then I probably won't bother. I'm also struggling to find the correct VOD of ETN also. There are so many conflicting accounts of it vary from 6500 to 8100 km/s from many sources. Most of them say the it is in the 7000s. Does anybody really know? I know it depends on density too so lets say its at its max density?

Where there is a will
there is a way.

AllCheMystery!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWbbidIY4v57uczsl0Fgv7w?vie...
Napolean Dynamite
Harmless

Mood: sweet

[*] posted on 27-4-2014 at 18:15

I got 8100 m/s at 1.6g/cc for ETN from a reliable source but unfortunately I do not know where to find it right now.

Your question is interesting, RDX decomposes partially into CO2 and CO (-21%). ETN decomposes partially into CO2 and O2 (+5%) combining these figures makes an oxygen balance at 1:4.. RDX:ETN by mass.

In my opinion it is not something that can be calculated easily. How important is maximum explosive velocity? Remember RDX is only a fast detonating explosive because of it's higher density than ETN. Because they are C-H-N-O explosives with relatively close to zero OB (I say this because TNT has very poor OB leaving some Carbon unreacted upon detonation, and thus poor VOD at maximum density, even though it is a C-H-N-O explosive.)

Velocity is so much a function of density in ideal explosives (C-H-N-O) and you might find that an overall density of around 1.65-1.8g/cc is possible with a composition (unknown proportion) of cast ETN with RDX because RDX has density of 1.82g/cc and ETN is 1.6g/cc

see page 18 in regards to Octol density characteristics which could apply generally to ETN as a melt castable explosive: http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a053473.pdf

[Edited on 28-4-2014 by Napolean Dynamite]
Dany
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-4-2014 at 00:35

The experimental properties of ETN has been studied experimental recently by Robert Matyáš et al. and published in Propellants, Explosives, Pyrotechnics journal ( for unkown reasons i can't access the article online) however we have the abstract:

"ABSTRACT: The physical and explosive properties of erythritol tetranitrate (ETN) are described herein. Although the chemical structure of ETN is simple and its preparation is undemanding, this explosive is only briefly described in the literature. Nowadays, it is widely prepared by amateur chemists and by criminals as well. Therefore, it is necessary to describe its physical and explosive properties for pre-explosion and post-explosion forensic analyses. However, as a nitric acid ester, it can also be potentially useful for some industrial applications. ETN was prepared in 83 % yield by the reaction of nitric acid/sulfuric acid with erythritol. The molecular structure of ETN was characterized by single-crystal X-ray diffraction. The structure of the ETN molecule is composed of a central carbohydrate chain and two pairs of facing coplanar ONO2 groups. The crystal density of ETN is 1.827 g/cm3. It is a non-hygroscopic compound, which is slightly soluble in water (the solubility in water was determined in a temperature range from 5 °C to 80 °C; the solubility at 20 °C is similar to that of PETN). The sensitivity of melt cast ETN to friction significantly differs from powdered ETN. Melt cast ETN is more sensitive to friction than PETN, whereas powdered ETN is less sensitive than RDX. The sensitivity of powdered ETN to impact is slightly lower than for melt cast ETN that is on the level of PETN. The detonation velocity of melt cast ETN is 7940 m/s at a density of 1.69 g cm3, which is slightly below the PETN level..."

Another paper by Oxley et al. found that ETN has a density of 1.72 g/cm3. The calculated VoD using CHEETAH 6.0 thermochemical code yield a VoD of 8.2 km/s. the density was measured using gas pycnometer.

The question if a zero OB of RDX and ETN mixture has a better performance? it depend on the final density, heat of formation and detonation products composition. Calculate the density of the mixture (use the crystal density of both explosive as a first try) and the heat of formation. Detonation velocity and pressure can be obtained using the Kamlet-Jacobs empirical method for fast and reliable calculations.

Dany.

[Edited on 28-4-2014 by Dany]
NeonPulse
Hazard to Others

Mood: Isolated from Reality! For Real this time....

[*] posted on 28-4-2014 at 03:05

thankyou for that dany, you seem to have access to a pretty big database of information concerning all things energetic. I was hunting for the VOD of ETN for a while now and i think that as i was looking in some older reference material, ETN does not seem to get much of a mention. Also as i mentioned the velocities all were different,given to the different methods used to test and calculate it but they were all fairly close to the numbers you provided.

Where there is a will
there is a way.

AllCheMystery!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWbbidIY4v57uczsl0Fgv7w?vie...
Gargamel
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-4-2014 at 09:15
Looking for details of No. 10 cap casing (NHN confinement)

Hey guys,

I wonder if NHN can be used as a primary on reasonable terms.

In this document here
http://www.niscair.res.in/sciencecommunication/ResearchJourn...

it is claimed that while NHN was not able to undergo DDT in a "No. 27" cap (which seems to be identical with a normal No. 8, a thin walled aluminium shell), I could be used alone in a "No 10" cap.

However, they don't give any information on the mechanical properties of the caps.

Now I'd like to know some details on that No. 10 cap - wall thickness, material, diameter...

Since this information is not given there, I assume this No. 10 cap is pretty common...?
I mean, without that information the statements aren't worth very much.
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 28-4-2014 at 09:39

The paper is from India. A quick trip to Google shows the numbers given are standard types, incorporated into India's military and commercial products. Various standards and specifications given out for bidding on production are around the internet.

Go forth and google...

https://law.resource.org/pub/in/bis/S02/is.7632.1975.txt

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Bert
Super Administrator
Threads Merged
28-4-2014 at 09:40
Dany
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-4-2014 at 11:24

Quote: Originally posted by NeonPulse  
I just have a question on the OB of RDX. being ob negative does anyone think that if balancing it out with ETN would be ideal? Perfect OB is desirable but if the velocity will be reduced too much then I probably won't bother. I'm also struggling to find the correct VOD of ETN also. There are so many conflicting accounts of it vary from 6500 to 8100 km/s from many sources. Most of them say the it is in the 7000s. Does anybody really know? I know it depends on density too so lets say its at its max density?

I calculate for you the detonation performance for a zero Oxygen balance (OB) ETN/RDX:

the atomic composition of such mixture is : C1.325H2.118N1.586O3.712

by mass this is a 80.5/19.5 ETN/RDX.

The heat of formation of this mixture based on 100g @ 298°K is -28.90 kcal/100g (heat of formation for RDX is taken from MADER [1] and ETN from the Oxley et al. paper given above). the heat of formation at O°K (which are needed in BKW thermochemical code[1]) is -27.25 kcal/100g

the mixturedensity taken also from MADER for RDX and Oxley for ETN is 1.82g/cm3.

using the RDX parameter to calculate the detonation performance in BKW we obtain:

DCJ= 8.61km/s
PCJ= 337 kbar

these value are close to that of pure RDX at 1.80 g/cm3 which is:

DCJ= 8.75 km/s
PCJ= 347 kbar

experimental values taken from MADER.

as conclusion no enhanced detonation performance is expected over single crystal RDX from a zero OB mixture of ETN/RDX even at crystal density of this mixture.

Reference:

[1] Charles L. Mader, Numerical Modeling of Explosives and Propellants, Third Edition, 2008.

Dany.

PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 28-4-2014 at 12:04

Quote: Originally posted by NeonPulse  

I also noticed the problem to find reliable info on ETN. Maybe the problem comes from the fact it is on the edge between solid and liquid (in the same polynitrate ester family of compounds propantriol trinitrate (nitroglycerine) is liquid at ambiant pressure and temperature(APAT);while xylitol pentanitrate is solid at APAT) ... Butantetrol tetranitrate (ETN) should be solid but is sometimes in overfusion or in solid solution (uncomplete cristalization) maybe due to traces impurities (nitrate-sulfate esters, oxydation products or uncomplete nitration products) but also to stereo-isomers mix ... those effects will lower the melting point.
Also a density of 1,6 can be 1,5-1,7 interval what is pretty vast.

Just to add a bit of confusion ;) the mixing of two compounds may have a lot of impact on the properties of the mix...properties are not always additive nor logical.
You may have:
-fusion of the two while appart they are solids
-contraction (good for density increase) or expension (bad for density)
-positive enthalpy of mixing (cooling-thus storing some more energy) or negative enthalpy of mixing (generates some heat)

In the balance for VOD and brisance: the density variation of the binary mix vs RDX and the energy variation of the binary mix vs RDX and vs ETN.

[Edited on 28-4-2014 by PHILOU Zrealone]

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

Gargamel
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 28-4-2014 at 12:21

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
The paper is from India. A quick trip to Google shows the numbers given are standard types, incorporated into India's military and commercial products. Various standards and specifications given out for bidding on production are around the internet.

Go forth and google...

https://law.resource.org/pub/in/bis/S02/is.7632.1975.txt

The text in your link only mentions the No.6 and No.8 Types.

Some older documents mention No. 10 caps with 2,8g MF.
But since they are all very old, I assume these where MF caps only.
More modern 2-stage caps are always called "No. 8", even if they are stronger.

There seems to be no modern No.10.

Maybe the used some very old cases like these here:
http://www.clickstersminingartifacts.com/captins_blasting/ca...
I would assume such brass caps to be stronger than typical aluminium caps.
robart
Harmless

[*] posted on 28-4-2014 at 15:42

Quote: Originally posted by Bert  
This would be a good place to learn about making Sodium azide from common over the counter products, rather than asking for information not really having much to do with learning chemistry.

Airbags are built with the intent NOT to ever come apart. Also most do not contain azide any more, the stuff is similar to cyanide in toxicity and was a liability for auto shops to have around.

I personally know an individual who tried to harvest Sodium azide from several 1990's era inflators back about 12 years ago. He succeeded once and failed twice. On the failed attempts, the inflators went off in his face. He lost hair, got 2nd degree burns and some eye damage the second time- The gas generated is very hot, those airbags are lined with fabric woven from stainless steel wire to stand up to the heat. People who have had their bare faces bounced off a working airbag usually are mildly burned from that contact.

Thanks for the information.
Ok so you think I could make sodium azide from over the counter chemicals, cool.
Not meaning to be an idiot but do you know of a topic that discusses that? I'll start looking for one.
Thanks for your help.
robart
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 28-4-2014 at 16:39

Quote: Originally posted by robart  

Not meaning to be an idiot but do you know of a topic that discusses that? I'll start looking for one.
Thanks for your help.
robart

The best way to "not sound like an idiot" is to read the FAQ BEFORE starting to post. Here: http://www.sciencemadness.org/madscifaq.html#2.1_Board_topic...

As far as finding your information?

Start by looking up at the top left corner of the page for this friendly little fellow:

Hint:

You'll find a WHOLE BUNCH of threads mentioning azides. You could read them all, it will take you a while though.

So maybe you should filter those down somehow?

Go to the top center of the page where there's a utility for finding out about members.

Shuffle that around, look for some people who have been here a while- like since 2002 to 2005? Then look at those names who also have high post counts... Then look at some of their the profiles, where it says which forum they are most active in. Find the one(s) that mostly posts in energetic materials. THEN search on "azide" and some of these old timer energetic materials guy's names...

That avoids you having to look at the many threads about 2 to 3 post long that start by a new guy saying: "How do I make/obtain Sodium azide? And end with a couple of people answering USE THE FUCKING SEARCH ENGINE! And then a moderator closes the thread.

Good luck, looking forward to hearing how you do with this.

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Lerdan
Unregistered

[*] posted on 29-4-2014 at 09:44

Is it safe to make cast Ammonium Nitrate/ Aluminium powder ?
I'm hesitating to make it, because of safety concerns.
If I melt the AN and take the pot from the heating source and mix it with the Al powder at around 80° C (Randomly chosen, I have no idea what the lowest temperature is to still be able to mix it) is there a risk of ignition or detonation ?
Of course, I mean , if I don't throw a burning match or cigarette in it.
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

[*] posted on 29-4-2014 at 10:09

Quote: Originally posted by Dany  
The experimental properties of ETN has been studied experimental recently by Robert Matyáš et al. and published in Propellants, Explosives, Pyrotechnics journal ( for unkown reasons i can't access the article online) however we have the abstract:

"ABSTRACT: The physical and explosive properties of erythritol tetranitrate (ETN) are described herein. Although the chemical structure of ETN is simple and its preparation is undemanding, this explosive is only briefly described in the literature. Nowadays, it is widely prepared by amateur chemists and by criminals as well. Therefore, it is necessary to describe its physical and explosive properties for pre-explosion and post-explosion forensic analyses. However, as a nitric acid ester, it can also be potentially useful for some industrial applications. ETN was prepared in 83 % yield by the reaction of nitric acid/sulfuric acid with erythritol. The molecular structure of ETN was characterized by single-crystal X-ray diffraction. The structure of the ETN molecule is composed of a central carbohydrate chain and two pairs of facing coplanar ONO2 groups. The crystal density of ETN is 1.827 g/cm3. It is a non-hygroscopic compound, which is slightly soluble in water (the solubility in water was determined in a temperature range from 5 °C to 80 °C; the solubility at 20 °C is similar to that of PETN). The sensitivity of melt cast ETN to friction significantly differs from powdered ETN. Melt cast ETN is more sensitive to friction than PETN, whereas powdered ETN is less sensitive than RDX. The sensitivity of powdered ETN to impact is slightly lower than for melt cast ETN that is on the level of PETN. The detonation velocity of melt cast ETN is 7940 m/s at a density of 1.69 g cm3, which is slightly below the PETN level..."

Another paper by Oxley et al. found that ETN has a density of 1.72 g/cm3. The calculated VoD using CHEETAH 6.0 thermochemical code yield a VoD of 8.2 km/s. the density was measured using gas pycnometer.

The question if a zero OB of RDX and ETN mixture has a better performance? it depend on the final density, heat of formation and detonation products composition. Calculate the density of the mixture (use the crystal density of both explosive as a first try) and the heat of formation. Detonation velocity and pressure can be obtained using the Kamlet-Jacobs empirical method for fast and reliable calculations.

Dany.

As explained a few posts ago, there are many discrepancies into various references about the density and VOD of ETN...
So I wonder could it be due to the use of accronyms? A single typo easily turns PETN into ETN...

[Edited on 30-4-2014 by PHILOU Zrealone]

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

Bert
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 29-4-2014 at 11:43

Quote: Originally posted by Lerdan  
Is it safe to make cast Ammonium Nitrate/ Aluminium powder ?
I'm hesitating to make it, because of safety concerns.
If I melt the AN and take the pot from the heating source and mix it with the Al powder at around 80° C (Randomly chosen, I have no idea what the lowest temperature is to still be able to mix it) is there a risk of ignition or detonation ?
Of course, I mean , if I don't throw a burning match or cigarette in it.

Why exactly do you WANT to mix powdered Aluminum into molten ammonium nitrate? If you have a reference for a use requiring this, please provide it?

If both the Aluminum and the oxidizer are pure, and temperatures are below decomposition temperature of the nitrate, it won't go off in your face.

Experimental ammonium nitrate/Aluminum compositions

But even a low level of contamination with a number of other chemicals can change that. Chlorine, chlorides, Sulfer, Zinc or Chromium compounds, urea and probably several other things I don't know of make for lowered decomposition temperature, increased reactivity of the Aluminum by destroying the Aluminum's oxide coating or BOTH. That could be exciting.

How pure are your chemicals?

TheAlchemistPirate
Hazard to Others

Mood: Enigmatic

[*] posted on 29-4-2014 at 12:53

Has anyone here built an air bubbler with a drying system? I am planning to purify my nitric acid by removing the NOx contamination by bubbling dry air through it with urea being added, and I cant figure out how to dry the air being pushed through the system without spending a fortune. I am planning on connecting a fish tank bubbler to a Teflon tube(with holes poked into it) with silicone tubing, and have seen that the air needs to be dry so it wont contaminate/dilute with water the nitric acid or anything else I need to agitate. I have seen where people say to cycle the air through a container with an air dehydrating chemical, but wouldn't this just push the chemical through the system and contaminate whatever I am agitating? I have done many searches on google and cant find an answer to any of these questions, I am planning on using this bubbler in the future for agitating nitroglycerin and other syntheses that might be dangerous to mix by hand.

"Is this even science anymore?!"
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9    11  ..  78

Go To Top