Pages:  1  ..  18    20    22  ..  78
Author: Subject: Short question / quick answer - Thread
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 8-3-2015 at 11:17

Quote: Originally posted by DutchChemistryBox  
Hello All,

I've some experiments on mind for which I need anhydrous sodium acetate.
Today I've recrystallized an amount from handwarmers, now I have the trihydrate.

I found the following in one of my books:
"This material can be converted to the anhydrous salt by heating slowly in a porcelain, nickel or iron dish, so that the salt liquefies. Steam is evolved and the mass again solidifies. Heating is now increased so that the salt melts again."

The book mentions an iron dish, this week I'll receive a stainless steel dish. Would it be a problem if I use this one? Or does it really have to be an iron one.

Does somebody know the answer, or should I give it a try?

Kind regards,

Stainless steel will be OK just as pyrex glass.

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
otonel
Hazard to Self

Mood: No Mood

[*] posted on 13-3-2015 at 13:00

I gave up the lead chlorate because I do not think it's worth the effort to synthesize.
Lead trinitrophloroglucinate I read that is a good sensitizer for mixtures but can`t find a source for phloroglucinol
How sensitive is it to impact and can successfully replace tetrazene?
o2h2o
Harmless

[*] posted on 18-3-2015 at 15:06
booster weight ?

Hello all

im new here, i have a question and did not find answers, maybe ill find here:

how do i calculate the amount of tetryl booster for a main charge ?

i hope my question i clear :D
Hennig Brand
International Hazard

[*] posted on 18-3-2015 at 16:50

The approximate optimum amount of a given booster to use to initiate a given main charge is normally determined through experience or experimentation from what I have seen, not through theoretical calculation. You may find equations to calculate booster size, but these equations are still normally based on empirical data. Information of this type is available, but you will need to dig for it a little. Too much booster is generally considered better than too little.

[Edited on 19-3-2015 by Hennig Brand]

"A risk-free world is a very dull world, one from which we are apt to learn little of consequence." -Geerat Vermeij
roXefeller
Hazard to Others

Mood: 220 221 whatever it takes

[*] posted on 18-3-2015 at 18:47

As with Hennig Brand, experience tells a lot.

Second, you didn't mention what your main charge is. The reason a booster is used is for insensitive main charges, but we don't know how insensitive your charge is.

Third, welcome to the form but you really should search more. Try to make your first posts better questions. Here are a couple of quick search results:
http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=439&am...

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=5313&a...

http://www.sciencemadness.org/talk/viewthread.php?tid=5096&a...
o2h2o
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-3-2015 at 00:29

Quote: Originally posted by Hennig Brand  
The approximate optimum amount of a given booster to use to initiate a given main charge is normally determined through experience or experimentation from what I have seen, not through theoretical calculation. You may find equations to calculate booster size, but these equations are still normally based on empirical data. Information of this type is available, but you will need to dig for it a little. Too much booster is generally considered better than too little.

[Edited on 19-3-2015 by Hennig Brand]

thanks allot

Quote:

You may find equations to calculate booster size

do you have thoes equations plz ? i didnt find any
o2h2o
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-3-2015 at 00:31

Quote:

Second, you didn't mention what your main charge is. The reason a booster is used is for insensitive main charges, but we don't know how insensitive your charge is.

cast TNT 8 lb
ecos
Hazard to Others

Mood: Learning !

[*] posted on 20-3-2015 at 06:56

Quote: Originally posted by o2h2o  

Quote:

cast TNT 8 lb

8 lb ?! :o what are you going to do with all this.

a friend told me before that he use several boosters spread over different places for large amounts of EM. he almost use ANFO and it is really hard to detonate it.

[Edited on 20-3-2015 by ecos]
Gargamel
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-3-2015 at 10:03

I don't mean to be a smart ass, but when dealing with such charges one should be able to answer such questions for oneself.

Are you some kind of snackbarian fighter who just melted some stuff out off military mines or what?
o2h2o
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-3-2015 at 14:43

Quote:

Are you some kind of snackbarian fighter who just melted some stuff out off military mines or what?

:o no man
i dont have thoes 8 lb !!

just asking for knowledge, the attached image from "USArmy-Explosives 2007" and was wondering how the booster amount is calculated for thoes charges ?

ffh.png - 63kB
aga
Forum Drunkard

[*] posted on 20-3-2015 at 14:51

Yeah, right.

Could anyone tell me how to set off this nuclear device i found ?

The label says "6 Megatons +/- a megaton"

Answering such questions is seriously unwise.

ecos
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-3-2015 at 15:37

Quote: Originally posted by aga  
Yeah, right.

Could anyone tell me how to set off this nuclear device i found ?

The label says "6 Megatons +/- a megaton"

Answering such questions is seriously unwise.

hmmm. the most interesting thing that people here are ironic :D
ecos
Hazard to Others

[*] posted on 20-3-2015 at 15:38

Quote: Originally posted by o2h2o  

Quote:

:o no man
i dont have thoes 8 lb !!

just asking for knowledge, the attached image from "USArmy-Explosives 2007" and was wondering how the booster amount is calculated for thoes charges ?

what kind of primary charges did you use before ?
o2h2o
Harmless

[*] posted on 20-3-2015 at 22:17

Quote:

what kind of primary charges did you use before ?

Mercury fulminate, Lead azide and HMTD ;)
Bert
Super Administrator

Mood: " I think we are all going to die. I think that love is an illusion. We are flawed, my darling".

[*] posted on 20-3-2015 at 23:29

This whole thread is now going to "short question / quick answer".

Please, o2h2o, read this site FAQ on requirements for starting a new thread outside of beginnings-

http://www.sciencemadness.org/madscifaq.html#2.1_Board_topic...

And you should try searching on your topic of interest on Google, but adding "sciencemadness.org" to your search terms- The site search utility is not as good as Google!

[Edited on 21-3-2015 by Bert]

Rapopart’s Rules for critical commentary:

1. Attempt to re-express your target’s position so clearly, vividly and fairly that your target says: “Thanks, I wish I’d thought of putting it that way.”
2. List any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
3. Mention anything you have learned from your target.
4. Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.

Anatol Rapoport was a Russian-born American mathematical psychologist (1911-2007).

Bert
Super Administrator
Threads Merged
20-3-2015 at 23:30
j_sum1
Administrator

Mood: Organised

[*] posted on 23-3-2015 at 16:03

This thread is a mine of useful information. I should do some more digging at some stage. I am wondering however why it is still in EM. It seems that most of the questions asked are of a more general nature.

My question -- regarding tin(II)chloride solubility.
References I have looked at indicate that SnCL2, both the anhydrous and dihydrate are very soluble in water. However, I have had a dog of a time getting them to dissolve. Wikipedia reports 83.9g/100mL @100°C. I have been unable to get a tenth of that. I have been working at RT however.
I have also tried reacting tin granules with HCl which has proved an extremely slow process but after a couple of days appears to be working.

I know that SnCl2 solutions are used in a lot of different applications. So what is the procedure? And why the discrepancy that I have noted between my results and the literature?
PHILOU Zrealone
International Hazard

Mood: Bis-diazo-dinitro-hydroquinonic

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 05:52

Quote: Originally posted by j_sum1  
This thread is a mine of useful information. I should do some more digging at some stage. I am wondering however why it is still in EM. It seems that most of the questions asked are of a more general nature.

My question -- regarding tin(II)chloride solubility.
References I have looked at indicate that SnCL2, both the anhydrous and dihydrate are very soluble in water. However, I have had a dog of a time getting them to dissolve. Wikipedia reports 83.9g/100mL @100°C. I have been unable to get a tenth of that. I have been working at RT however.
I have also tried reacting tin granules with HCl which has proved an extremely slow process but after a couple of days appears to be working.

I know that SnCl2 solutions are used in a lot of different applications. So what is the procedure? And why the discrepancy that I have noted between my results and the literature?

Shouldn't this question belongs to beginnings?
Or to another topic from the board? What has-it to do with Energetic materials?

PH Z (PHILOU Zrealone)

"Physic is all what never works; Chemistry is all what stinks and explodes!"-"Life that deadly disease, sexually transmitted."(W.Allen)
j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 14:25

My point is that while the thread started off as an EM only topic, over time it has morphed into more of a general questions topic. (And that happened before I joined the board.) It is really useful. I propose a thread move.
Zyklon-A
International Hazard

Mood: Fluorine radical

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 14:34

We already have a thread for that in misc. Why move the one that's specifically EM just because a few people posted a question in the wrong place. Also there's a lot of posts here that are about inorganic metal compounds, that themselves are't energetic but are used to make energetics or thermite reagents. These are probably what you're mostly talking about, correct?

j_sum1
Administrator

[*] posted on 24-3-2015 at 15:57

Quote: Originally posted by Zyklon-A  
We already have a thread for that in misc. Why move the one that's specifically EM just because a few people posted a question in the wrong place. Also there's a lot of posts here that are about inorganic metal compounds, that themselves are't energetic but are used to make energetics or thermite reagents. These are probably what you're mostly talking about, correct?

My mistake. I had missed the fact that there were two similarly titled threads. I will re-ask the Q in its proper location.
Thanks, ZA
Microtek
National Hazard

[*] posted on 13-4-2015 at 07:15

Does anyone know what the equilibrium moisture content of AN is at say, 20C and 65% RH? I'm asking because I have a lot of AN in solution (from CAN fertilizer) and want to recover it. I know I could just heat it to drive off the water, but I would like to avoid spending more electricity than necessary.
Zombie
Forum Hillbilly

Mood: I just don't know...

[*] posted on 13-4-2015 at 07:29

Seal the AN in a large Tupperware container with a dish of calcium chloride.

You can readily buy a container of Damp Rid to get the CaCl2

http://www.damprid.com/moisture-odor-control-center/how-damp...

I know this does not answer your question but it does solve your problem.

They tried to have me "put to sleep" so I came back to return the favor.
Zom.
insutama
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-4-2015 at 09:37
Silver acetylide

I see some people use water and nitric acid to dissolve the silver nitrate in then pass acetylene gas threw it. The way i have always done it is just dissolve 1 gram silver nitrate with 100ml water. Would i get a better yield if i used say 10 ml nitric acid with my water ?
Spartan
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-4-2015 at 16:54

If you don't use nitric acid you get silver acetylide (Ag2C2), but if you pour some nitric acid in the water you get silver acetylide/nitrate (Ag2C2*AgNO3) which is more powerful and less sensitive than Ag2C2. I recommend to you to make the double salt (Ag2C2*AgNO3). But be careful, both are sensitive to static elecrticity.
insutama
Harmless

[*] posted on 17-4-2015 at 18:07

oh okay thanks so much for explaining that to me. My yeilds dont seem that great like .6 from 1 gram of silver nitrate so maybe i would get better yeilds with the double salt
 Pages:  1  ..  18    20    22  ..  78

Go To Top